• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much is your rent/mortgage?

How much you pay for your domicile?

• 0-10%

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 35 28.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • 40%+

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
ours is 30%. the rental market here is insane, and we moved cross country in january when there's really nothing. fortunately it's rent controlled, and my wife and i are getting raises. when we were in dc our mortgage was like 15%.

I'm currently paying like 35% of take home pay on rent/month, when we had a third roommate it was only 25%. #superpoor

and that's why i'm trying to buy. but you cant buy anything but a studio in sf w/o 150k or so down.

Right under 20% post tax, including real estate taxes and insurance that are escrowed.

combined after-tax take-home is ~18% for our rental.

I hate renting. HATE it. I feel like I'm throwing money away every month, but until we know more long-term stuff it makes zero sense to buy.

Mortgage+Escrows / Annual Salaries pre-tax (not including bonus) = 13.85%.

Post-tax jumps to 17% range.

10-20%

Last edited:
A whopping 45% of take home after 15% retirement savings on a single income for me. Hopefully that will drop to sub 30% if/when my girlfriend gets a job. The rental market is out of control in Boston. I have no idea how one would go about saving up enough money for a down payment to actually live here.

I rent a two bedroom condo, its about 30% of my net (post taxes and mandatory 11% retirement contribution), but it does include all utilities.

Last edited:
around 12% but tripling the payments right now. houses in shit-ass Wilkesboro are mad cheap, yo! Also, bought at the absolutely perfect time.

That's not too bad if you're single guy who doesn't have all kids of random family expenses to deal with.

You're going to keep making money and knock that percentage down.

About 20%. Our take home has Childcare taken out pretax and 6% mandatory retirement taken out of mine and a decent retirement contribution from his and health insurances.

We bought outside of the district in Montgomery County, where it's not much better. No chance we could have purchased without family help, and we're still at ~30%. Just trying to lay low for a few years until we're 30 and then start doing fun things again (having a kid doesn't help the discretionary income...or ability to have adult fun).

Back