• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best drama currently on tv?

Best drama currently on tv?

• Total voters
Voted Justified, although it was tough. If The Americans had a larger body of work to judge from I would bitch about its exclusion. The first season was pretty strong.

I essentially made this list from IMDB's top tv series ratings. The one glaring mistake I made was leaving Boardwalk off in place of The Newsroom.

I haven't seen season 3 yet, but I voted Homeland out of that list. Mad Men's last season was uneven as hell (though still good), haven't seen True Detective or Downton, fantasy ain't my bag, hated House of Cards and Suits, though. I know that a lot of people like House of Cards and Newsroom (I really don't), but Suits is pure USA-formula trash, IMO.

Some shows that I would add, though (and all of which I like more than Homeland and Mad Men):

-The Americans
-Hannibal
-Sherlock (BBC)
-The Good Wife
-Scandal (schlocky, but Suits is on there, so...)

I haven't seen season 3 yet, but I voted Homeland out of that list. Mad Men's last season was uneven as hell (though still good), haven't seen True Detective or Downton, fantasy ain't my bag, hated House of Cards and Suits, though. I know that a lot of people like House of Cards and Newsroom (I really don't), but Suits is pure USA-formula trash, IMO.

Some shows that I would add, though (and all of which I like more than Homeland and Mad Men):

-The Americans
-Hannibal
-Sherlock (BBC)
-The Good Wife

another vote for Hannibal here

really hard for me between GOT and True Detective. but GOT has delivered year in and year out. I never read any of the books. Never has show made me so angry not because it was poorly written or sloppy, but because of something they did with the plot to characters I liked. That's some serious shit. #redwedding

I'm going with Game of Thrones, but I haven't watched Homeland or Newsroom or Suits. Haven't even heard of Suits, in fact.

Justified is a close second due to the richness of the characters and great dialogue.

House of Cards is great, but it's too early to tell how great. Same with True Detective.

Downton is just a glorified soap opera with exceptional acting and scenery. If it weren't for Maggie Smith, I'm not sure how watchable it would be. Oh, and the guy who plays Carson too. That dude cracks me up.

Mad Men is appealing to me in largely the same way Downton is. It's a great period piece with a few very compelling characters. But in terms of the twists and turns of the plot, I really don't care much.

-The Americans
-Hannibal
-Sherlock (BBC)
-The Good Wife

i don't see howw you can penalize MM for the 5th season being "unneven" when the 2nd season of Homeland got borderline unwatchable.

For me its a three way race between Mad Men, House of Cards and True Detective. So I'll abstain.

And the Americans, wish isn't an option, may be better than those three. There is a lot of great TV right now.

i don't see howw you can penalize MM for the 5th season being "unneven" when the 2nd season of Homeland got borderline unwatchable.

There were just some plain awful episodes in season 3

Went MM would have thrown a vote Hannibal's way as well

Voted Downton. I think it's fabulous!

Neither woman nor gay but voted Downton because yes, it is fabulous. Justified & House of Cards close second of those listed. Watch Game of Thrones but haven't loved it since the first season.

Some really good Brit dramas not listed: Luther, Sherlock & Whitechapel.

I voted for True Detective, but Good Wife is most excellent especially with the reboot this year.

For American TV my favorite currently is probably Justified, but Mad Men is the one major one I never got into and I haven't watched House of Cards yet. The Americans is just too young, but could be another solid show. Luther and Sherlock are probably better than all of them, although I think Luther is officially gone for good (possibly a movie to be developed) and Sherlock we'll probably have to wait 18 months for more episodes.

The Following w/ Kevin Bacon!!!

j/k

Tough to pick between House of Cards, Mad Men, etc. Love Downton but its a soap opera. Game of Thrones is awesome, but I went w/ Mad Men, it does more w/ less.

Boardwalk Empire - my vote for best on tv
Americans - very good first season, maybe a little young
Homeland - great first season, second was pretty bad, third was better but over all too uneven
justified - good show, very entertaining. not quite "best of" in my opinion. certainly top 10 (though not sure where it would fall for me)
true detective - really strong showing over 4 episodes. we'll see if the last 4 hold up but still too young
game of thrones - very entertaining but some is great and other parts are a little uneven. it is an epic scale that is unrivaled.
walking dead - 1 part entertaining + 1 part good + 1 part infuriating + 1 part annoying. really uneven but i do enjoy enough to keep watching

have not see - downton, man men, house of cards,

Boardwalk Empire - my vote for best on tv
Americans - very good first season, maybe a little young
Homeland - great first season, second was pretty bad, third was better but over all too uneven
justified - good show, very entertaining. not quite "best of" in my opinion. certainly top 10 (though not sure where it would fall for me)
true detective - really strong showing over 4 episodes. we'll see if the last 4 hold up but still too young
game of thrones - very entertaining but some is great and other parts are a little uneven. it is an epic scale that is unrivaled.
walking dead - 1 part entertaining + 1 part good + 1 part infuriating + 1 part annoying. really uneven but i do enjoy enough to keep watching

have not see - downton, man men, house of cards,

this is pretty much how i feel about all of them (except walking dead which i dont watch). i think MM is tops, though. don't really see how you can argue true detective on the strength of 4 episodes. hell, the bridge looked awesome after 4 episodes. same with the americans (homeland had the best first season of any show i've ever seen).

The Bridge was awesome until the actual "Bridge" ep.

It got so bad I didn't even care about the finale, sad.

Pretty sure it doesn't belong on the list, but I really enjoy Once Upon a Time.

I know that Hannibal and The Good Wife are quality, but I couldn't bring myself to include any network shows (NBC, FOX, CBS, ABC). I just think that not being on HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX, Netflix, etc. hamstrings a show's creative ability too heavily.

Last edited:
Back