Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 1525

Thread: Investment Thread - For all your money needs

  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconwfu View Post
    I have a wachovia Way 2 Save account that I opened a few years ago. I don't really keep that much money in there because I'll invest it when it accumlates enough money. Anyway last month I had $619 in there at the start of the month. I earned $.02 interest. I don't really care about the interest but that's laughably low... $.24 on $619 per year...that's .038% interest. How are banks not just rolling in dough right now, especially with all the BS fees and whatnot they are charging.
    Why would they pay higher levels of interest when they can't make jack shit off deposits? We are trying to put $2B to work right now and there's just no place to put it with any prospects for decent yield.

  2. #182
    The Pumpfaker Baconwfu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by WRS View Post
    Why would they pay higher levels of interest when they can't make jack shit off deposits? We are trying to put $2B to work right now and there's just no place to put it with any prospects for decent yield.
    I would hope a bank could squeeze at least some reasonably safe return, but I guess since treasuries are negative yields they probably don't have any where to go unless they want to invest in t-bills near maturity (i.e mature before the "low interest rate window" the fed has "promised" expires)
    Or maybe they should grow a pair an make loans...idk just seems really ridiculous to see that $.02 interest payment and i thought I'd comment on it.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconwfu View Post
    I would hope a bank could squeeze at least some reasonably safe return, but I guess since treasuries are negative yields they probably don't have any where to go unless they want to invest in t-bills near maturity (i.e mature before the "low interest rate window" the fed has "promised" expires)
    Or maybe they should grow a pair an make loans...idk just seems really ridiculous to see that $.02 interest payment and i thought I'd comment on it.
    It is ridiculous and as someone on both sides of the equation it really sucks. We've increased the size of our loan portfolio 35% this year but are getting tons of pressure to move deposits out of checking/money market accounts because we have absolutely no opportunity to make money there.

  4. #184
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    Damn, my OPTT stock is making some major moves this week. Up fro $2.33 last week.

  5. #185
    If I were you, I would invest on Physical Gold or other precious metals (PMs) with the aid of local refiners in the area.


    Robert Grant

  6. #186
    gold is taxed at a higher rate

  7. #187
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    He was a troll for a website, please don't take his gold advice.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by TWDeac View Post
    He was a troll for a website, please don't take his gold advice.
    Fuuu, I just put all of my savings into gold!

  9. #189
    The Pumpfaker seventwofour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    On a distinguished road
    Posts
    2,474
    Read The Black Swan a few weeks back and Taleb promotes his barbell strategy pretty heavily. Seems pretty reasonable to me. What are the Pit's thoughts?

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by rogrant84 View Post
    If I were you, I would invest on Physical Gold or other precious metals (PMs) with the aid of local refiners in the area.


    Robert Grant
    I'm loading up Robert! What do I do now besides wait?

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by seventwofour View Post
    Read The Black Swan a few weeks back and Taleb promotes his barbell strategy pretty heavily. Seems pretty reasonable to me. What are the Pit's thoughts?
    I personally agree with it.

    I also agree with tail-hedging strategies. PIMCO started doing it in a couple of their funds sub-advised by Rob Arnott and then of course El-Erian does it as well. It's a pretty smart thing to do for a relatively low cost of 'insurance' on a portfolio, and if you can get it done by someone like El-Erian or Arnott for a couple open-end funds, it can easily complement some other things going on for someone's account.

    The Black Swan is great, but it will go over pretty much everybody's head unless they're interested in this stuff. I think Freefall by Stiglitz is far better, but that's just my opinion.

    Kenneth Rogoff is my favorite, though. IMHO, he's the smartest and most qualified voice on modern day bubble capitalism before it actually happens. Dude knows what he's talking about. So does another guy named Simon Hunt who analyzes Copper and some other metal trends based on global consumption and distribution. Good luck getting your hands on his quarterly reports, though. Some of them only cost $6,000 a pop, but to become a regular subscriber you'll just need a cool $500K.......a year.

  12. #192
    Hello groupon. Don't see this ending well.

  13. #193
    1. Give all your money to me
    2. ?
    3. Profit

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDivingDeacon View Post
    I personally agree with it.

    I also agree with tail-hedging strategies. PIMCO started doing it in a couple of their funds sub-advised by Rob Arnott and then of course El-Erian does it as well. It's a pretty smart thing to do for a relatively low cost of 'insurance' on a portfolio, and if you can get it done by someone like El-Erian or Arnott for a couple open-end funds, it can easily complement some other things going on for someone's account.

    The Black Swan is great, but it will go over pretty much everybody's head unless they're interested in this stuff. I think Freefall by Stiglitz is far better, but that's just my opinion.

    Kenneth Rogoff is my favorite, though. IMHO, he's the smartest and most qualified voice on modern day bubble capitalism before it actually happens. Dude knows what he's talking about. So does another guy named Simon Hunt who analyzes Copper and some other metal trends based on global consumption and distribution. Good luck getting your hands on his quarterly reports, though. Some of them only cost $6,000 a pop, but to become a regular subscriber you'll just need a cool $500K.......a year.
    My wife's former roommate comes from a loaded family. They are awesome. They make almost all of their money in oil and copper.

  15. #195
    Very easy to make money in Copper if you have a strong understanding of the technicals.

    I would also argue that it's incredibly difficult to make money in oil regardless of your analytical/technical/fundamental/valuation skills. The only way you can make money in gas and oil is to be a limited partner in some kick ass MLP with a huge account minimum (which the parents probably had). Traded MLP's are good, but they've merely become an open-end natural resources fund with a larger yield, to a certain degree.

    ...

    For those that know what they are doing and have no (or very small) trading costs, this up/down market is heaven sent.

    I honestly hope that it continues to be range bound, and I think it will unless we have upbeat data over the next two weeks, (which I don't think we will)...

  16. #196
    The Pumpfaker seventwofour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    On a distinguished road
    Posts
    2,474
    Quote Originally Posted by IAppreciateIt View Post
    Hello groupon. Don't see this ending well.
    They laid off 10% of their staff last week.

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDivingDeacon View Post
    Very easy to make money in Copper if you have a strong understanding of the technicals.

    I would also argue that it's incredibly difficult to make money in oil regardless of your analytical/technical/fundamental/valuation skills. The only way you can make money in gas and oil is to be a limited partner in some kick ass MLP with a huge account minimum (which the parents probably had). Traded MLP's are good, but they've merely become an open-end natural resources fund with a larger yield, to a certain degree.

    ...

    For those that know what they are doing and have no (or very small) trading costs, this up/down market is heaven sent.

    I honestly hope that it continues to be range bound, and I think it will unless we have upbeat data over the next two weeks, (which I don't think we will)...
    Yeah they made their money in oil because they live in south texas and ran an oil drilling company.

  18. #198
    For mint.com purposes, are Burke St Pizza and Mario's fast food or restaurants???

  19. #199
    Am I best off creating a separate pizza budget???

  20. #200
    they're restaurants I think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •