• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

EPV up 3.5% after hours on top of 9% in the past 5 days. If you think the Euro will continue to drop, it's a great but volatile play.

I like EPV but haven't taken the bait yet. I actually like TZA a bit better, but EPV is still a good one given our current situation.

Is Berkshire Hathaway a good play for the long term?

I would take a look after Buffet kicks the bucket....It will immediately get whacked then people will realize that it's just a holding company with a definitive NAV (of the companies that it holds).

Still riding EPV as the Euro gets crushes. Looks like Greece will be leaving the Eurozone, and possibly the EU as their parties can't come to any agreements.

I'm not sure how long the Euro will decline though. Once Greece is gone, I'd think that will be some relief looking forward, but it also puts the currency in general in some doubt. Spain is trying to fix it's banking and economy, but there's no certainty there.

Still riding EPV as the Euro gets crushes. Looks like Greece will be leaving the Eurozone, and possibly the EU as their parties can't come to any agreements.

I'm not sure how long the Euro will decline though. Once Greece is gone, I'd think that will be some relief looking forward, but it also puts the currency in general in some doubt. Spain is trying to fix it's banking and economy, but there's no certainty there.

Just a word of caution that has proven to be invaluable to me:

Trying to make investment allocation decisions based on how you think a certain country's economy will affect its currency is not well-correlated. I wouldn't assume anything with the Euro because of Greece. Hell, 7 of the 17 EU countries are bankrupt

Also, EPV looks good for the short to mid-term. Good play there. FAZ is also worthy of a look for some of you out there...

ETA: Close to 30% of my September calls went in the money Friday. 90% of my June calls are way in the money as of today. That leads me to think that we have quite a slide coming based on how much time is remaining and a myriad of other factors...

Trying to make investment allocation decisions based on how you think a certain country's economy will affect its currency is not well-correlated. I wouldn't assume anything with the Euro because of Greece. Hell, 7 of the 17 EU countries are bankrupt

I generally wouldn't take current events like this into consideration too much, but this has major implications on the Euro, no? I thought European investors are all selling out because of the uncertainty. Am I reading that wrong, or do you just mean in general it's a bad idea?

I generally wouldn't take current events like this into consideration too much, but this has major implications on the Euro, no? I thought European investors are all selling out because of the uncertainty. Am I reading that wrong, or do you just mean in general it's a bad idea?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I just mean in general it's a poor idea over the long term. At some point, there will be a lot of buying opportunities in ADR's for European based companies or ETF's and Funds focused on Europe. Think 2008 in the US.

I guess what I meant is that the currency effects generally lag very heavily much of the other underlying movements in a country's economy, GDP, Unemployment, ISM data, etc...

You're doing it right, though. EPV and many others are nice plays right now. Well done

I recently opened a Simple IRA with my work, matching 3% of my contribution. I have two questions. First, they are getting rid of B shares, forcing a choice between A and C. I have 35+ years to retirement, so A is the way to go, right?

Secondly, I have a Roth IRA from college that I pay into quarterly, and have since I was a senior in college. It doesn't have much money, around 5k, but I'm wondering if it would be better to roll my Roth into the simple, or to keep the Tw separate. I know my company won't match the Roth, but I still plan to keep making the small quarterly contributions. Is there any upside to rolling the Roth into the Simple?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is noobish or poorly written. I don't know much about this stuff, clearly.

Yes, A is the way to go. Who is the Simple through?

Can't roll the Roth into the Simple. Just leave it separate and keep making your quarterly contributions

I can't believe all that info came out after years of keeping it confidential. Think that law firm is still getting paid?

I mean everyone knew that Goldman fucked every major bank and hedge fund in the world in 2006-2008. Now a portion of that is official

Seismic shifts in the futures and options markets on the news of Spanish bond yields, borrowing costs and credit default swaps...

i.e. looks to be a bloodbath coming down the pike...

Keep in touch, Sky. Those volatilty ETFs are KILLING it for me right now. One of my positions is up 74%. :thumbsup:

Definitely interested in hearing your views. Am I crazy to expect none of this to settle down until after the Greek elections in mid-June, if then? I'm no analyst, but there doesnt seem to be much of a light at the end of the tunnel right now.

I play in a fantasy stock trade, and have found a fairly predictable stock (I know stocks aren't predictable). I know where to sell and where to buy. What issue am I missing, aside from the transaction fees, and that if I buy a lot of shares I'd shift the price, that would stop me from doing this with real money?

Keep in touch, Sky. Those volatilty ETFs are KILLING it for me right now. One of my positions is up 74%. :thumbsup:

Definitely interested in hearing your views. Am I crazy to expect none of this to settle down until after the Greek elections in mid-June, if then? I'm no analyst, but there doesnt seem to be much of a light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Glad to hear! Yeah, UVXY on our side is up a staggering 113% as of right now (3:23 PM). Part luck, part research, part guts to make the call. We've hedged out as much of that gain as possible through some options and layered sell stops, so no matter what, most everybody will walk away from that holding with at least 60-80% gains.

And no, you're not crazy. There are a few very well respected economists and institutional traders/analysts/strategists that think this whole fiasco is going to blow up in our face. I tend to think they're right if you look at what the vast majority of money is doing right now in the options market. That's where the good information is hidden. It's just knowing where to look and what to look for...

I play in a fantasy stock trade, and have found a fairly predictable stock (I know stocks aren't predictable). I know where to sell and where to buy. What issue am I missing, aside from the transaction fees, and that if I buy a lot of shares I'd shift the price, that would stop me from doing this with real money?

I don't know where to start. I wouldn't do it, my friend. Many people have thought the same and gotten burned.

However, with that said, why don't you try your hand with as little money on the line as possible and still keep some upside potential:

http://www.optionseducation.org/en.html

Good luck

What the hell is going on today? Greece isn't saved because some G8 leaders promised to do their best to keep them in the Eurozone. Enough with this optimism...down with the Euro!

Back