• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

I'm taking a significant income bump next year and would like to save a portion of my monthly income to use in the next 2-5 years (buying a house, etc.). The only reason I'd consider some kind of investment over a savings account or CD is that I want to keep up with inflation. I hate risk and have no desire to "make money" in the stock market. Thoughts?

I'm taking a significant income bump next year and would like to save a portion of my monthly income to use in the next 2-5 years (buying a house, etc.). The only reason I'd consider some kind of investment over a savings account or CD is that I want to keep up with inflation. I hate risk and have no desire to "make money" in the stock market. Thoughts?

hmmmm. Ultra low duration corporate credit bonds are paying out a dividend yield around 2.5-3% right now. TIPS may also be an ok idea even though their valuations are a little high...

For those of you that like stocks, look at ACTV's compelling valuation after an oversell of the stock.

Weird day today with equities rallying at the end of the day but oil is down 1.5% and Treasury yields are lower.

2.79% seems to be a key point for the 30-yr Bond as it keeps bouncing off that price. Might be a good technical indicator if it significantly breaks below that yield.

It's crazy how similar May and June 2011 are to May and June 2012. Last July and August were bloodbaths. Tempted to actually buy some short positions before the end of the day but will probably just increase my Cash. What's everyone doing?

Let's say someone had 3,000.00 in a scottrade account and wanted to grow that to 4,500-6,000 before the summer of 2014 to pay off a trip to Brazil for the world cup (totally made up scenario). What would the pit investors recommend? I have 3 stocks in mind that I have been following for a year now but would love other opinions.

Sup guys.

I have a 403b through my work. I'm looking to supplement this with an IRA or Roth IRA. I've read in several places that the latter is a better place to stick money. Thoughts? My goal is simply to put a couple hundred dollars away each month for retirement since awar doesn't currently have a retirement plan.

Sup guys.

I have a 403b through my work. I'm looking to supplement this with an IRA or Roth IRA. I've read in several places that the latter is a better place to stick money. Thoughts? My goal is simply to put a couple hundred dollars away each month for retirement since awar doesn't currently have a retirement plan.

Roth is better. Check and see if you qualify for one. It's based on income levels.

Sup guys.

Roth is better, and I'd consider contributing as much as you can. I like to max mine: http://leeonlife.com/2012/07/is-it-worth-it-to-max-a-401k/

Anyone have any recommendations on Bank of America for a long term play? I figure with the economy improving and the housing market slowly getting there, it would be a good play. I just bought some AMZN on the dip today.

Had a good chunk of change laying around and was going to buy a bunch of Apple stock at $520ish at the start of the summer. Family talked me out of it at the time so I only bought 5 shares. Pretty upset right now.

Yeah I bought AAPL with my summer money 2 years ago and a year ago at around $244 and $350 and am glad I did. It alone has pulled my portfolio from the deep red to something like 60% in the green this year.

I keep kicking myself for not buying apple but considering the tech concentration in my ETF portfolio I think I have a good bit of exposure there.

Back