• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

Analysts have it with a $745 price target and some upwards of $900 a share. I keep wondering how long the stock can keep going, especially with Jobs gone. They have to keep growing to sustain it. I guess the iPad mini will help tackle the mini-tablet market Amazon currently owns, and the iPhone 5 will be huge as expected, but what comes after that?

Good news is, Apple customers are intensely loyal and usually buy again or more once they buy one thing, so I am expecting they will at least remain steady for the foreseeable future.

Analysts have it with a $745 price target and some upwards of $900 a share. I keep wondering how long the stock can keep going, especially with Jobs gone. They have to keep growing to sustain it. I guess the iPad mini will help tackle the mini-tablet market Amazon currently owns, and the iPhone 5 will be huge as expected, but what comes after that?

Good news is, Apple customers are intensely loyal and usually buy again or more once they buy one thing, so I am expecting they will at least remain steady for the foreseeable future.

It will be interesting to see how much it continues to grow. Like you said, there isn't much innovation(not that there is much anywhere else) on the horizon, but they do have an enormous cult following.

What do most CFA's charge if you become a client? I am looking around for one but am unsure what to ask? Is it the same as anything else where you just do some research, interview the person, ask for references, etc?

I have been managing my dough myself, but feel like I am not getting to where I need to be come retirement time.

What do most CFA's charge if you become a client? I am looking around for one but am unsure what to ask? Is it the same as anything else where you just do some research, interview the person, ask for references, etc?

I have been managing my dough myself, but feel like I am not getting to where I need to be come retirement time.

CFA stands for Chartered Financial Analyst. That's different than your typical hometown financial advisor/stock broker/money manager....much different

...I think it depends on the level of management you get, but it ranges from .75%/annum to around 2%/annum I think (although I definitely could be wrong). Obviously, the more actively your money is "managed" the more you're going to pay....

Last edited:

You're looking for a CFP (Certfied Financial Planner) and I have no idea what they charge. I manage my own money since I'm in the business.

You're looking for a CFP (Certfied Financial Planner) and I have no idea what they charge. I manage my own money since I'm in the business.

Ok, if its a CFP that I am looking for what should I ask about the guy to find out if he's my man?

Ok, if its a CFP that I am looking for what should I ask about the guy to find out if he's my man?

Fees. How much excess return does he generate and then how much does he keep for himself. Problem is that there's a lot of elasticity of demand for financial services, so consumer surplus is generally low.

FB is down to 18.31 a share...surely there is a point to jump in with a little mad money, right?

Any tax accountants around? I have some quick questions wrt to gift taxes and family loans.

CFA stands for Chartered Financial Analyst. That's different than your typical hometown financial advisor/stock broker/money manager....much different

...I think it depends on the level of management you get, but it ranges from .75%/annum to around 2%/annum I think (although I definitely could be wrong). Obviously, the more actively your money is "managed" the more you're going to pay....

I am a CFP and am working on my CFA as a candidate in good standing and I charge on an annual basis for assets under my direct discretion. Some people charge a ridiculous amount (anything above 1% is high to me, but 1.75% and 2.00% is ridiculous in my opinion) and it tiers down as the assets increase in total. In other words I don't charge on a per account basis; I charge on a total amount. There's a big difference in charging each account on a fee-schedule instead of looking at them in aggregate.

Not a lot of barriers to entry in the financial services world so select an advisor with a healthy amount of research and skepticism. Go Deacs!

FB is down to 18.31 a share...surely there is a point to jump in with a little mad money, right?

Would've been a great call. I wish I had.

Anyone invested in AAPL want to share what they are doing now? A new report out tonight says they are cutting their iPhone 5 orders by half. I am not sure if I should just dump it now or grow a pair and hold through earnings next week. If they crush it, it will jump back to 575 or so. If they miss again, its down to 450. I am in at 340. I know there is no shame is taking profits. I guess I am being greedy at the moment trying to hit the next bounce before cashing out.

Would've been a great call. I wish I had.

Anyone invested in AAPL want to share what they are doing now? A new report out tonight says they are cutting their iPhone 5 orders by half. I am not sure if I should just dump it now or grow a pair and hold through earnings next week. If they crush it, it will jump back to 575 or so. If they miss again, its down to 450. I am in at 340. I know there is no shame is taking profits. I guess I am being greedy at the moment trying to hit the next bounce before cashing out.

Sell stops, sell stops, sell stops.

Unless you have a good amount of money, hedging your gains with put options is probably out-of-the question.

FWIW, MACD (Moving Average Convergence Divergence) charts haven't shown a MACD this low since the 2008-2009 bust. Take that for what it is (just one technical of about a 100) but the option chain looks solid and it's 'technically' oversold.

This is a truly tough one, though, because of what's going on with management at Apple. I would put in layered sell stops to at least capture a portion of your gains if it breaks through your sell stop price, but it's probably not a bad idea to hang on to it...

Well, looks like I was right about AAPL. I wish I had gone against my better judgement and sold AAPL at $545 when it last popped, but I let me love for the company get in the way.

So, I got out yesterday at $480 AH, which looks like it was a fine move considering it's at $456 now.

Time to speculate in RIMM? Or way too dangerous?

Rim is a viable co. Outside of the us. But it is a takeover play, sum of the parts. I got to $20' but made no money on it. Aapl is a cash cow. When they start acting like a mature company and do something with their cash it will move again. Cheap stock.

Rim is a viable co. Outside of the us. But it is a takeover play, sum of the parts. I got to $20' but made no money on it. Aapl is a cash cow. When they start acting like a mature company and do something with their cash it will move again. Cheap stock.

Apple is absurdly low right now at its current price of $448 in AH trading. They need to acquire someone though to calm investors fears, like a Spotify or Pandora. They have really no reason to horde all of that cash. I'd love to get back in at these levels, but it is going to go even lower before it stabilizes. It is down $65 today! That's insane.

The momentum investors and growth funds are exiting apple...Until they announce a new product/merger (twitter,NFLX,Spotify) it will be in the hands of value investors (See Microsoft value trap). Holding 1/3 of your market cap in cash is not a good business practice. Many felt that Tim Cook came across as extremely arrogant on the call by not giving forward guidance. This stock is prob dead money till the next report. The money from Apple is going into names like NFLX, FB, and Google.

Back