• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

I'm new to the boards but read through a couple threads. Does caterday still post here? He made some pretty good calls.

Thats because it is bull shit

Technical Analysis is definitely not bullshit. It's not as good as some people claim it to be, which is obvious because if it were everyone would do it, but understanding things like options and their respective 'chains' is very valuable, IMHO...

I personally don't think enough people understand currencies, and all of their technicals. The same can be said for a lot of other sectors, but specifically in regards to currency trading, I think most people are oblivious to how important it is and how much of an impact it has on global trade, growth, capital expenditures, etc...

Technical analysis is silly imo

Been investing since early 70's...retired from day job @ 53, ten years ago to trade full time...Use t/a & fundamentals. Trade 7 figure portfolio, t/a been very good to me!

Apple looks cheap but the overall market looks overvalued. I could easily see Apple getting caught up in a market correction.

I like technical analysis but it is just one tool.

My definition of a correction is probably different than what people think of when they think 'correction.' I take into account things like MACD and Relative Strength Index to determine corrections, their severity and how oversold or overbought an individual equity or certain index may be at any given time. Those are only a few and neither are perfect, but they're worth understanding.

I have no idea what will trigger the correction. It could be about 100 different things. I do know, though, that option writers are not stupid and options (across the board) are implying that there is significant risk over the next 120 days. Enough risk that you could see equities sell off in the 20-25% range, if not more. And a recession to me is a true recession; two consecutive quarters of of real GDP decline. So in six months do I think we'll see a 30-40% correction? No. Will we if we fall into another recession? Sure, maybe. But I don't think the US is at risk of slipping back into a recession

I don't particularly care for utilities right now and haven't for about six months. AGNC is a great one, but it will turn south if we have a spike in interest rates or if there's some rumblings with the restructuring of Fannie and Freddie (both of which are highly unlikely for the foreseeable future).

Good luck. Let's resurface once some of these September Puts of mine expire...

We were able to kick the can.

Been investing since early 70's...retired from day job @ 53, ten years ago to trade full time...Use t/a & fundamentals. Trade 7 figure portfolio, t/a been very good to me!

it just seems that any advantage that may have been gained from technical analysis in the past would have dried up with computer trading algorithms. i believe there are some holes in the efficient market hypothesis, but i don't see how a guy in his living room is going to find patterns undetected by brainiac quants pounding out code 18 hours a day.

The reason technical analysis appears to work is that a lot of people are looking at the same indicators and have the same beliefs about those indicators. When those indicators show a sign that their adherents interpret as buy, masses who follow said indicators buy putting upward pressure on the stock. Same works in reverse too. But there are no fairies at the bottom of the garden. I'm glad people believe in T/A though, because in the long run that's how real investors are able to profit. As said by Ben Graham, in the short run the market is a voting machine, but in the long run it's a weighing machine.

it just seems that any advantage that may have been gained from technical analysis in the past would have dried up with computer trading algorithms. i believe there are some holes in the efficient market hypothesis, but i don't see how a guy in his living room is going to find patterns undetected by brainiac quants pounding out code 18 hours a day.

Been fortunate to "trade with the whales", PM me & I will discuss further...as this mkt. is over extended now...looking for up to 5% pullback in SPX before it will be time to reload again sometime mid to late Feb...

The reason technical analysis appears to work is that a lot of people are looking at the same indicators and have the same beliefs about those indicators. When those indicators show a sign that their adherents interpret as buy, masses who follow said indicators buy putting upward pressure on the stock. Same works in reverse too. But there are no fairies at the bottom of the garden. I'm glad people believe in T/A though, because in the long run that's how real investors are able to profit. As said by Ben Graham, in the short run the market is a voting machine, but in the long run it's a weighing machine.

That's how I see it and I've seen it work before. Not always, of course.

Been fortunate to "trade with the whales", PM me & I will discuss further...as this mkt. is over extended now...looking for up to 5% pullback in SPX before it will be time to reload again sometime mid to late Feb...

Feel free to share here.

Feel free to share here.

Took me several years to research theses sites and cull those that I did not need. As you are aware, there is a huge amount of information on the web. Many are $$$ sites...All my resources are free with the exception of one...I would prefer to keep this information low key but will provide per individual request as once you receive, you can distribute it as you please. You are probably aware of several of these sites...

FB looks like a buy. Good quarter and a selloff AH. Stock is probably going to 38 or so in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone

Back