• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

Technical analysis is silly imo[/QUOTEl

Here's how you become an adequate technical analyst:

Follow a specific group within an industry subsector everyday for an entire year. If there are structural or cyclical changes going on within the industry, the more you will learn about market value vs. fair value and possibly swoop in for a trade or investment when the opportunity presents itself.

Stock picking is not for everybody. Some people are extremely risk averse and should not manage their own portfolio. Some are way too reckless, don't fully grasp the risks they are taking, and will inevitably get wiped out. Some are too focused on small margin, high frequency trading instead of higher margin, long term investing.

so i'm about to sell my condo (hopefully), so i'm debating taking a chunk of that and starting an investment account. as such, i've been reading "the intelligent investor" as his model of LT holds and value investing remind me of my search for value in other areas. anyone else a graham disciple or know of any other good blogs/resources i should follow as i continue to seek out knowledge?

so i'm about to sell my condo (hopefully), so i'm debating taking a chunk of that and starting an investment account. as such, i've been reading "the intelligent investor" as his model of LT holds and value investing remind me of my search for value in other areas. anyone else a graham disciple or know of any other good blogs/resources i should follow as i continue to seek out knowledge?

i really like benji graham as well

anyone getting nervous about this recent surge w/ commodities meh'ing it up

Pretty much. I'm not selling anything but my 401k contributions are now going into a money market and any extra cash is going to pay down my mortgage. I suppose the market makes sense with US corporate earnings increasing but weakness in China is driving commodities lower. I still think the S&P is overpriced though but I'm not selling against momentum.

With my recent employer switch, I'm working on rolling over my retirement accounts. No chance in hell am I going to put my current money into 5/3 Bank's retirement stuff, so I'm rolling it all over into a rollover IRA and Roth with Vanguard. I've been wanting to get in with them, but the minimum amounts on all of their funds have kept me out. I'm pretty happy about this.

The decision to follow Icahn and buy Herbalife seemed to have paid off. Now if only I hadn't sold Netflix at $185 to buy Facebook. I still think its going to pop once at those price levels.

I keep dicking around on Tesla waiting for it to drop a bit to swoop in, but not sure I'll get that shot at this point. I kinda want to buy one now though.

Is it standard operating procedure for a financial advisor to charge their rate quarterly?

Back