• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

ok, so i close on my place back east on Monday. what should i do with the equity? i was thinking maybe split it 50/25/25 between etfs in securities, bonds, and commodities. i'd generally go harder on securities, but the alltime high market is kinda scary.

my thinking:

-i'd like to keep it somewhat liquid in case i find a house here i want to buy. with the state-income tax i will be well over the standard deduction so any mortgage deduction is essentially just cream off the top. rent here is outrageous too, so if i can use that to build equity that would be nice. the only issue is cost and not knowing the market here that well, so we're looking probably next spring on that unless something strange pops up.
-i'd also like to keep it liquid in case i find a few investments i'd like to buy for long-term holds. having it already in a brokerage account would help, and the entry/exit is essentially taxes and trading costs (which are almost non-existent with a usaa brokerage account).
-kind of follows with 2, but i'd like to start building a lt portfolio outside of my 401k. eventually i'd like to get more out of etfs on the securities side and invest in good strong securities coupled with some bond indexes.

should i just go see a financial advisor? any help would be great. thanks.

Is it standard operating procedure for a financial advisor to charge their rate quarterly?

Yes. I've seen some true Financial Planners that do a lot more work than your average financial advisor charge an annual retainer, but normally the situation doesn't call for it. If they're just charging you an asset based fee, then yes, it typically is charged quarterly based on the account's average value at the close of the last day in the quarter (or if it's an RIA, they may actually not use an average and charge based on the last day's amount period).

No way to really answer this without more data. I'm a proponent of paying down high interest debt, so if you have any of that, you might start there. Your best bet is to find a fee-only Certified Financial Planner or CPA/PFS in your area that will sit down with you for an hour and see if they can help.

http://www.letsmakeaplan.org/

Search in the bottom right hand corner for a CFP in the area and go interview a few of them...

ok, so i close on my place back east on Monday. what should i do with the equity? i was thinking maybe split it 50/25/25 between etfs in securities, bonds, and commodities. i'd generally go harder on securities, but the alltime high market is kinda scary.

my thinking:

-i'd like to keep it somewhat liquid in case i find a house here i want to buy. with the state-income tax i will be well over the standard deduction so any mortgage deduction is essentially just cream off the top. rent here is outrageous too, so if i can use that to build equity that would be nice. the only issue is cost and not knowing the market here that well, so we're looking probably next spring on that unless something strange pops up.
-i'd also like to keep it liquid in case i find a few investments i'd like to buy for long-term holds. having it already in a brokerage account would help, and the entry/exit is essentially taxes and trading costs (which are almost non-existent with a usaa brokerage account).
-kind of follows with 2, but i'd like to start building a lt portfolio outside of my 401k. eventually i'd like to get more out of etfs on the securities side and invest in good strong securities coupled with some bond indexes.

should i just go see a financial advisor? any help would be great. thanks.

No way to really answer this without more data. I'm a proponent of paying down high interest debt, so if you have any of that, you might start there. Your best bet is to find a fee-only Certified Financial Planner or CPA/PFS in your area that will sit down with you for an hour and see if they can help.

http://www.letsmakeaplan.org/

Search in the bottom right hand corner for a CFP in the area and go interview a few of them...

plan on paying the cc debt off. isn't much, and the only other debt i have is school loans with a sub-3% interest rate. thanks for the advice.

Carl Icahn strikes again. Invested over a billion in Apple and then annouced it on Twitter. Thoughts?

Carl Icahn strikes again. Invested over a billion in Apple and then annouced it on Twitter. Thoughts?

Any worry that he could be accused of influencing the markets? Didn't someone get fined by SEC for ripping a company causing stock price to go down?

Any worry that he could be accused of influencing the markets? Didn't someone get fined by SEC for ripping a company causing stock price to go down?

sounds like david einhorn

Is the Fed going to announce a tapering of its QE program today? Going to be an interesting couple of days.

I really should just cash out today if the tapering announcement is handed down. The market is going to collapse. Conversely, if they announce they are not going to taper, it's going to shoot back up.

hrmmm weird... something fishy going on. thanks obama.

I recently cashed out a good chunk of stock. Don't know about anybody else, but between the market touching all time highs, Washington having its head up its ass, the coming debt ceiling debate, AND another FOMC meeting where they could announce tapering at the end of the month, I'm gonna probably sit on the sidelines with my cash this October, see how things pan out and then look for opportunities...

Thoughts?

I recently cashed out a good chunk of stock. Don't know about anybody else, but between the market touching all time highs, Washington having its head up its ass, the coming debt ceiling debate, AND another FOMC meeting where they could announce tapering at the end of the month, I'm gonna probably sit on the sidelines with my cash this October, see how things pan out and then look for opportunities...

Thoughts?

Yeah I'm considering pulling out (lol) as well. Will probably give it until Friday.

probs not touching. will be looking to try to add more at some point later on this month though.

Back