• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

anyone else on the wait list for robinhood?

hadn't heard of it, but looks pretty bauce.

i am taking BATH don't these peeps know im tryna buy property

I've been riding FB, TSLA and TWTR but think those are all reaching their tops in the short term. Still like TSLA over the next year. Might start playing around with some of the marijuana stocks, though most are garbage. Still a market that obviously looks to be high growth in the coming year.

Hold onto Tesla.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

twitter WAY down. i kinda want to buy a heap.i cant imagine a technology this disruptive really being that depressed. the lock-up thing is seemingly a good time to buy as all the early stage types cash in. it at 31 would be a long hold in my mind.

If I were to receive a lump sum from my folks (call it an early inheritance of say 50-75K) and wanted to pay down on my home, would it be smarter to make a lump payment or refinance the loan?

If I were to receive a lump sum from my folks (call it an early inheritance of say 50-75K) and wanted to pay down on my home, would it be smarter to make a lump payment or refinance the loan?

Depends on your current rate, although the lump sum doesn't really alter that decision at all unless you're underwater or don't have an LTV ratio that gets you the best rates.

I guess it also depends on what you mean by smarter. You could refinance, drop the cash, and lower your monthly mortgage payment at the same length of time. Or you could immediately put the cash to principal which is probably the best way to shorten your loan repayment. If you're already at a low rate and you plan on paying off the home completely, that's probably the most cost effective over the long run.

I'm no expert, so others please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also depends on your monthly mortgage payment, remaining principal, interest rate, etc.

any thought in investing it? probably get a better return than the interest rate on the mortgage and the whole mortgage interest deduction thing.

anyone do options trading? what's the best online brokerage to use? optionshouse looks pretty neat and only $1 per contract

Been trading options for many years. Several good trading platforms available. Think or Swim (TOS) part of TD Ameritrade one of the best, IMHO...

I keep thinking about different investment strategies but then freakin vanguard mutual funds got like a 15-20% return this year and i can't think of many better options

Have you heard of the Lending Club? PM Nonny for details.

If you don't hear back immediately, Nonny's just waiting for a good month to brag about.

Parental investors - what are you doing for your kids? 529s? Secret money market accounts? Other investment vehicles?

Parental investors - what are you doing for your kids? 529s? Secret money market accounts? Other investment vehicles?
Not a parent, but I looked into this for my nephew and 529 accounts are a pretty good idea

529s for sure

Fun ideas:
-Buying a bottle of nice alcohol each year (wine, bourbon) would make for a nice 21st birthday present.
-I read the other day about Kyle Bass teaching his kids about investing by buying $1mm worth of nickels because the current melted value of a nickel is 6.8 cents. Granted, melting coins is currently illegal, but the point of buying the nickels was to introduce his kids to low risk investing.

Dude, there are plenty of jobs a kid can legally have that teaches valuable lessons. I think I had my first job at 10 or 11.

With respect to investments, my sister and I realized that our kids have too many toys as it is. Most toys now are cheap plastic shit, and between birthday parties and other occasions they accumulate way too many. So what we started doing instead of buying toys for each other's kids for CHristmas and birthdays was to set up a brokerage account for them and buy them a few shares of stock in whatever they were into at the time. If the kid was into Mickey Mouse, we would get them Disney stock; the next year if it is the Incredible Hulk we get them Marvel stock. When they turn 18 we'll give them access to the account. It is easy to do, gives them some exposure to investing, and acts as a a timeline for them to remember what they enjoyed growing up.

Dude, there are plenty of jobs a kid can legally have that teaches valuable lessons. I think I had my first job at 10 or 11.

With respect to investments, my sister and I realized that our kids have too many toys as it is. Most toys now are cheap plastic shit, and between birthday parties and other occasions they accumulate way too many. So what we started doing instead of buying toys for each other's kids for CHristmas and birthdays was to set up a brokerage account for them and buy them a few shares of stock in whatever they were into at the time. If the kid was into Mickey Mouse, we would get them Disney stock; the next year if it is the Incredible Hulk we get them Marvel stock. When they turn 18 we'll give them access to the account. It is easy to do, gives them some exposure to investing, and acts as a a timeline for them to remember what they enjoyed growing up.
hmm neat i've never heard of this idea and i agree kids with middle to upper class relatives get way too many toys

kind of similar but you could also get a kid an educational toy paired with a 529 contribution

That's a great idea, 2&2. LEGO stock would have been a better gift than all those bricks we have around our house.

Back