• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

As a non-resident living abroad who will return home soon, am I better off withdrawing my foreign retirement fund now, later, or does it really make a difference? If I were to leave the money untouched until retirement age, I would still be taxed at the foreign withdrawal rate (which could change depending on legislation at the time). I don't have an immediate need for the cash so what are some of the things I should be considering? Thanks in advance.

Been reading a lot of ritholtz for years but that article put the idea together really well.

Also interesting given I'm just about to pick the mutual fund lineup for our company 401k plan. I was going to go with a handful of
vanguard funds but was also going to add some more exotic things in there. Maybe I won't.

Last edited:
I know you're not supposed to time the market, but anybody thinking about sitting the next 18 months out?

Also, about 25 years ago I read a money management book by Andrew Tobias. I think it helped me.

I’m through the 1st 1/2 of this revision and think it’s good enough I’m giving it to my kids (college age) and encouraging them to read it now and again when they get their 1st real job.

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need

Anyone taking advantage or considering investing into opportunity zones? Seems to be what a lot of the smart money is doing to avoid capital gains taxes.

You gotta keep it there for a bit to make it worthwhile.
Yep. Although if you invest in an Opportunity Fund, while the capital has to stay within the fund, it can be allocated to a wide variety of investments.

The dream scenario is to put a fund together to buy a minor league baseball team in an Opportunity Zone, allowing you to also further invest in the surrounding area.

I work on the other end of the fund, as a potential borrower for affordable housing development.

Been to several conference panels where people are trying to figure out how they're going to work on the borrowing side. Lots of uncertainty and skepticism.

I'm actually in the process of looking into tapping into a fund and it's pretty unorganized at this point.

Unorganized how? What are they uncertain about?

meaning that a lot of these funds have pooled together millions, but there aren't many lending products out there that I've seen

as for housing, some of the uncertainty is around the opportunity zone timelines not matching up well with the tax credit financing timeline; the former looks to keep money in projects ten years to realize the max benefit, while the latter is on a 15-year timeline; uncertainty around the flow of funds in and out of affordable housing deals

the whole thing feels a bit hastily put together and the IRS is still issuing clarifications around how it's actually going to operate; also uncertainty around the future of OZs after the initial round, whether the program will be renewed

Let's talk cannabis stocks. Quite a few good ones to be involved in now and at some really decent prices.
A little background--Mexico legalized medical pot in 2017 and Canada legalized recreational pot in the Fall of 2018. Combine that with a growing U.S. market and you have the makings of the next new bull market. So get yourselves positioned & primed for it now. Recreational usage will be big but medical will have bigger dollars associated with them. Just for numbers sake, Florida alone has 180,000 registered medical users. There are already more sales in legal cannabis than coffee in the U.S.--$8 Billion to $5 Billion in 2017 and will rise to $22 Billion in 2022 as more states get behind it in various ways. The U.S. Safe Banking Act which is going thru legislation now will really make this jump as companies have a legal place to deposit their money and do business.

SPRWF--Supreme Cannabis--high end stuff. Stock is $1.55 today. Good one to get a lot of and hold.
KSHB--Kush Co--cannabis packaging, doing the safety thing which will be really important in states like CA--$6.03 today
CWBHF--Charlotte's Web--medical stock in the CBD market. Already has a good epilepsy drug out. I got in at $15.00 an it is now at $22.03 with a ways to go with its proprietary genetics it owns
CRLBF--Cresco Labs--just bought Origin House [ORHOF--got it at $6 & is being bought out around $10]--is a great move as it gives more sq footage, more edibles, so tons more revenue sources $11.71
CURLF--CuraLeaf--$9.59 today--now has a deal with CVS Drugstores & will be selling lotions & creams--plus bought Eureka which gives a CA footprint
TGODF--Green Organic Dutchman--$3.21--Aurora Cannabis invested in a 17.5% state. Edibles, recreational pot, 49% interest in Jamaica
ZRRRF--Ionic Brands--tough one to buy, but is at .59. Just IPO'd last week. Will be one of the premier vaping companies with concentrates & cartridges--very fast growing. I will hold this one for a while. Bought a lot this morning.

More later. Have stuff on Emerald, Elixinol, iAnthus, Plus Products, Flowr Corp, Cann Trust, Trulieve, Severn Bancorp & Organigram.

Back