• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

is there any reason to suspect those are more recession proof than the general market / commodities?

is there any reason to suspect those are more recession proof than the general market / commodities?

You would think that the recession would yield good opportunities, although the potential for correction could be more heightened with these companies due to their implied risk.

Last edited:
So I inherited a coin collection prolly worth something like $5k. Its damn hard to figure out whether a silver dollar is like shiny because its polished and only worth like $20 or if its mint and worth like $200. Also costs like $20 to grade a coin, so if its the former you've just wasted the entire value of the coin getting it graded.

But like every coin collector these days has to be 60+.... there can't possibly be a premium market for this shit 50 years from now with the smartphone generation.

My natural inclination is to actually build upon the collection, cherish it and improve upon it. But there seems like there's a reasonable expectation that 30 years from now all coin collectors will have died off and the market is flooded with heirs selling the shit with no buyers. What say ye, investment thread?

What’s not fun about the hobby is that all the good shit seems to get graded and locked in a container. But half the fun seems like holding it in your hand. This was clearly his best coin, outside a 1799 liberty dollar. It’s just beautiful and has crazy engravings on the side, my immediate reaction is just to buy more and chill with them Scrooge mcduck style , but it seems like there’s a crazy premium or charge on buying/selling coins where you’re like paying 5-10% just to sell them, which makes sense but also makes them seem like a terrible investment , anyone with any experience here?

7b382fed1c2cae243f153eaf1c68a6a9.jpg

I have a bunch of silver/gold rounds that carry their melt weight in value but no "coins". It's a fun investment to take out and hold, but I've lost money on the portfolio.

I have an old coin collection as well from growing up, the main part was Indian head pennies which were pretty affordable for a 10 year old. I feel like now that I’m older I could probably finish that set but at the same time yeah, it’s not exactly the best investment and would really be just the collecting aspect. The investing coins are those graded “slabs” you keep in a dark safe which kind of defeats the purpose of having a cool piece of art. Or the rolls of 1960 quarters that folks hoard for their silver content.

I also have a few commemorative sets my grandfather had given me, which are the special coin sets produced for like the olympics that aren’t actually circulated. I can look up how much those are “worth” in the coin guide but I can’t imagine there’s a huge market for those. Not a good investment.

Plus coin stores these days are probably filled with boomer trumpers. No thanks.

Classic cars and art seem to be the only things that actually increase in value these days. So if you're not moving in those circles, stick to an index fund for all your investment needs.

So I inherited a coin collection prolly worth something like $5k. Its damn hard to figure out whether a silver dollar is like shiny because its polished and only worth like $20 or if its mint and worth like $200. Also costs like $20 to grade a coin, so if its the former you've just wasted the entire value of the coin getting it graded.

But like every coin collector these days has to be 60+.... there can't possibly be a premium market for this shit 50 years from now with the smartphone generation.

My natural inclination is to actually build upon the collection, cherish it and improve upon it. But there seems like there's a reasonable expectation that 30 years from now all coin collectors will have died off and the market is flooded with heirs selling the shit with no buyers. What say ye, investment thread?

i just hired a guy from the Wake accounting program who used to run a business in coin and stamp collecting. He came to the same conclusion that you did - young people don't care about it and it's a dying hobby, so he needed to get out...so he went and got an accounting degree.

Classic cars and art seem to be the only things that actually increase in value these days. So if you're not moving in those circles, stick to an index fund for all your investment needs.

certain antique firearms are very profitable

I wish I kept all my magic cards. I sold what now would be probably be like $50k worth of magic cards for a 64 MHz Compaq Presario

Wasn’t it bkf that was real big into like baseball cards and memorabilia? Woof

thinking about doing some rebalancing and recession proofing. is there a general recommendation on diversification between stocks, gold/commodities, robo-advisors that are tilted towards safer stuff?

thinking about doing some rebalancing and recession proofing. is there a general recommendation on diversification between stocks, gold/commodities, robo-advisors that are tilted towards safer stuff?

Time in the market is much more important and effective than timing the market.

Basic 3 index fund portfolio. Easy peasy.

70-80% total stock index with 20-40% international and 60-80% US.
20-30% total bond index

Much more money has been lost anticipating the drop than in the drop itself. paraphrased from Peter Lynch

Last edited:
More heavy in international these days then switch back once the drop happens. However, it’s unlikely to be a sharp crash, more just slowly lose money over a decade

20-30% total bond index

Much more money has been lost anticipating the drop than in the drop itself. paraphrased from Peter Lynch

That’s the answer, just do this then walk away and don’t watch CNBC

20-30% total bond index

How would this advice change for people in their 60's close to retiring? Parents are looking for safer options than the market and I'm convincing them not to just use their new 2% savings account.

Bump that down to 50% stock index, 50% bond index and withdraw from whichever bucket will make that ratio stay balanced. That’s pretty conservative and won’t get as chewed up by inflation.

Or dial up a certain randleman liquor baron for an expensive annuity.

How would this advice change for people in their 60's close to retiring? Parents are looking for safer options than the market and I'm convincing them not to just use their new 2% savings account.

I’m mostly into my 2% savings accounts but cycling bonuses to boost it to like 5%

Back