• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

I have made a killing on that stock. But I'm done as of about noon today. Call me a giant pussy, but it's just too detached from reality at this point. I think we're going to see a bear week.

I'm calling shenanigans that you got out today at noon.

Question for the group. Is it possible to have too much money specifically in a 401(k) at retirement? I’m starting to feel like I should reallocate some of that money elsewhere — reducing my contribution from the max to the minimum required to get full employer contribution. My thought is 401(k) is a great vehicle for saving but is highly restrictive in terms of when you can access the money. I’ve always been super conservative in terms of saving for retirement but feel like there must be a limit where having >$X just doesn’t make that much sense. I also have an HSA that I’m contributing to in order to cover prospective healthcare costs which has ~$7,500 invested and I’m not really using the funds at all.

I think it depends on a lot of individual factors like when you expect to retire, is this saving for other things you’d need that $ for other than retirement etc but my initial thought is no, not really. The tax advantages to the 401k are pretty sweet compared to regular accounts. There’s definitely considerations for pre tax vs post tax mix with your retirement accts/IRAs so you don’t get tax bombs later in life. But if it’s just a matter of putting strictly retirement-bound savings in a 401k/IRA vs investing in the same stuff in a regular brokerage account then I stick with the 401k.

The HSA has even better tax advantages than a 401k.

I think it depends on a lot of individual factors like when you expect to retire, is this saving for other things you’d need that $ for other than retirement etc but my initial thought is no, not really. The tax advantages to the 401k are pretty sweet compared to regular accounts. There’s definitely considerations for pre tax vs post tax mix with your retirement accts/IRAs so you don’t get tax bombs later in life. But if it’s just a matter of putting strictly retirement-bound savings in a 401k/IRA vs investing in the same stuff in a regular brokerage account then I stick with the 401k.

The HSA has even better tax advantages than a 401k.

Yeah I am def in on contributing to the HSA especially while my medical costs are very low (I’m 34 for reference). Can’t beat literally never paying taxes even on investment gains. I’m no longer eligible to contribute to a Roth-style vehicle but plan on being in a lower income bracket in retirement so I’m fine with taking the tax hit later.

There’s always the backdoor Roth IRA route, if that’s doable.

Doesn't make a ton of sense to be "retirement rich" if you aren't living at the standard you want day to day. All about a healthy balance.

Doesn't make a ton of sense to be "retirement rich" if you aren't living at the standard you want day to day. All about a healthy balance.

That’s sort of along the lines of what I’m thinking. I also don’t have kids and don’t plan to so as it stands anything left over is getting donated somewhere.

That’s sort of along the lines of what I’m thinking. I also don’t have kids and don’t plan to so as it stands anything left over is getting donated somewhere.

Or all the boards folks without kids and with $texas in their 401(k)'s Agree to enter into a lottery. At 59 1/2 everyone cashes out their 401(k) balances and puts it in a pot. You get an equal amount of tickets equal to your share of the pot. Split the pot 50/30/20 to three winners, so that those folks can spend their remaining years driving around Lake Como in Bugatti's.

Max that 401(k), and if you're able to save up enough outside of the 401(k) then just retire at 50 something.

Silver prices shootin' on up. Gotta figure some people are cashing out of stocks and gonna dump into safe havens eventually. There's literally no silver bars available online, and the one or two things available are selling for like 25% premiums. But that was also the case 4 months ago when it crashed. Supposedly the mints are having problems securing it due to the shutdown as well, and lastly the dollar is dropping. Hoping it turns out to be a perfect storm.

Last edited:
I’m balls deep in gold and silver stocks right now. It’s been great the last 6-9 months. Will probably continue to hold for a while.

Among other things, of course.

From 12/23/19... (and still "balls deep")

I've been in very small in HMY, which has been nice. Gonna take a few years for me to make up dem ZM and TSLA shorts though

tenor.gif

Silver prices shootin' on up. Gotta figure some people are cashing out of stocks and gonna dump into safe havens eventually. There's literally no silver bars available online, and the one or two things available are selling for like 25% premiums. But that was also the case 4 months ago when it crashed. Supposedly the mints are having problems securing it due to the shutdown as well, and lastly the dollar is dropping. Hoping it turns out to be a perfect storm.

SILJ--prime junior silver miners @ $16.03 today. GDX--gold miners ETF at $43.75 & GDXJ--junior gold miners--$62.31. All 3 going thru the roof. Have bought a ton of all 3 plus their corresponding Aug/Sept/Nov call options. All this easy money coming in from the Fed is probably going to make inflation spike. Plus of course the deficit is going thru the roof with these trillions being given out.

Great Covid stocks are DocuSign-DOCU & Zoom--ZM. My fav right now is the best testing stock out there, OPK which owns BioReference Labs and it has gone from $2 to now $5.73. BRL has the testing contracts for MLS, the NBA and last week announced they have all 32 teams in the NFL. They are now doing 90,000 tests per day with the best turnaround time in the business of 72 hours. Earnings announcement has been moved up to this week--July 30 [instead of Aug 5].

Who hit big on Kodak here? I saw it yesterday when it was at $11 or so and thought it had probably topped out & decided to hold off. Wish I had thought differently. Got up to $53 today and is currently at $33. Is it wise to get in now or has it definitely topped out?

here is how I have been buying the metals--SILJ is the junior silver miners which is currently at $16.40 and I started buying in the $13's. Also GDX for gold mining etf & GDXJ for the junior gold mining etf. Both of those are $44.58 & $63.90 and started buying at $44 & $50 [plus tons of their options on the way up & still buying both stock & options]. With the Fed handing out all this stimulus, it is weakening the dollar which is dropping. BofA has just reiterated their stand of $3000 gold & now $35 per ounce silver.

I own the SLV... Also own a couple of individual miners: HL & PAAS. Have owned them all for over a year now. Don't plan on selling anytime soon.

Still like gold, too... Just think silver has more upside. Gold already at an all-time high... I think silver will get there, too (call it ~$46ish back in 2011).

I don't have any great gold stocks that I like... Only own GOLD right now (Barrick).

And, of course, this is part of a broader portfolio of other stocks and asset classes.

Agree the dollar is heading materially lower (but that is a crowded position).

Back