• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

It's immoral to short the stock and then manipulate the market via false news releases, going on the air to talk about how a company you bet against is struggling, getting platforms to halt trading on the other side of the equation, etc.

It's immoral to short the stock and then manipulate the market via false news releases, going on the air to talk about how a company you bet against is struggling, getting platforms to halt trading on the other side of the equation, etc.

Like, immoral is just such an inadequate word here. "Evil" is an inadequate word. Openly corrupt and hubristic beyond my wildest dreams is something close.

I work with a United States attorney for my district just about every day. If I were on his side of the aisle, I would be calmly finding the biggest, girthiest strap-on razor dildo of an Indictment to just plow these fuckers with so god damned hard.

So it wasn’t reasonably accurate or honest to say GME was overvalued at $40?

I don’t do any margin investing. Or high-frequency trading. Probably obvious.

So it wasn’t reasonably accurate or honest to say GME was overvalued at $40?

I don’t do any margin investing. Or high-frequency trading. Probably obvious.

It's absolutely reasonably accurate and honest to say that GME was overvalued. It's also a stupid fucking thing to say if you have learned anything about the stock market in the last six months. Like, beyond hard R stupid.

I mean allowing selling but not buying is blatant market manipulation right? I genuinely cannot think of a more obvious way to impact volume. How do Robinhood/the other brokers that have done that even try to justify it?

I mean allowing selling but not buying is blatant market manipulation right? I genuinely cannot think of a more obvious way to impact volume. How do Robinhood/the other brokers that have done that even try to justify it?

It's just so damn out in the open. Like, "fuck you, retail investor. We've been calling the shots forever. Go ahead and fuck around and find out."

separate from all this market manipulation bullshit that further exposes the finance system for what it is, I do worry about the people who are buying in GME to be along for the ride but don't really understand that they're probably just throwing cash out the window

It's just so damn out in the open. Like, "fuck you, retail investor. We've been calling the shots forever. Go ahead and fuck around and find out."

How is it even legal? Why would a brokerage even think they have that power? That's the crazy part to me, how Robinhood releases a statement saying they are doing it to protect investors from volatility. Since when do they have the right to take action to protect investors from anything? Do investors agree to that when they sign up?

As someone who has zero knowledge in the stock markets, thanks everyone for some insight on this.

I'm not holding my breath that there will be any significant punishment and/or reform from this, but any guesses on what will happen?
A few hedge funds bankrupt? Lawsuit against Robinhood? Any legislative changes?

It’s more proof that the stock market has been decoupled from reality for a very long time. Especially true where some of the more valued companies actually don’t produce anything or have actual assets. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. However this most likely will be the house always wins scenario. The stock market going up isn’t coupled to jobs but it crashing certainly still is, which means possible this doomsday scenario. Individual traders team up to bully hedge funds, hedge funds lose money, to cover losses hedge funds sell off other healthy stocks, sell off snowball and the market drops, and so on, basically bubble bursted. Busted bubble results in job losses, who loses their jobs, well the very individual traders that teamed together in the first place, who buys up all the depressed assets, the hedge funds.

Except only one side of the trading equation got halted this time.

This is the kind of thing that turns people into killers. Straight up: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...en_letter_to_melvin_capital_cnbc_boomers_and/

To Melvin Capital: you stand for everything that I hated during that time. You're a firm who makes money off of exploiting a company and manipulating markets and media to your advantage. Your continued existence is a sharp reminder that the ones in charge of so much hardship during the '08 crisis were not punished. And your blatant disregard for the law, made obvious months ago through your (for the Melvin lawyers out there: alleged) illegal naked short selling and more recently your obscene market manipulation after hours shows that you haven't learned a single thing since '08. And why would you? Your ilk were bailed out and rewarded for terrible and illegal financial decisions that negatively changed the lives of millions. I bought shares a few days ago. I dumped my savings into GME, paid my rent for this month with my credit card, and dumped my rent money into more GME (which for the people here at WSB, I would not recommend). And I'm holding. This is personal for me, and millions of others. You can drop the price of GME after hours $120, I'm not going anywhere. You can pay for thousands of reddit bots, I'm holding. You can get every mainstream media outlet to demonize us, I don't care. I'm making this as painful as I can for you.

That's some deep seated fucking anger. Like, "you've fucked with my family" anger.

Not trying to get too political, but this is a textbook perfect populist scenario - the stock market is determined by professionals and experts based on what they claim is expertise. Regular people noticed that the market had been manipulated to such an extent by hedge funds that the experts had exposed themselves by overshorting based on widely available information, not expertise. Using completely legal means to coordinate, regular people joined together on social media to drive up a stock price that had previously been driven artificially low. Now the market has quickly reacted by declaring it illegal for individual traders to collaborate. Yet hedge funds, small groups of elite experts in control of billions of dollars from thousands of investors, are free to swing stock prices however they please.

Back