• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

I'd be interested in seeing what some finance-types would suggest for alternatives to savings accounts, seeing as how interest rates are absurdly low.

Go with an intermediate term bond fund. Rather safe and pays a good coupon.

I'd be interested in seeing what some finance-types would suggest for alternatives to savings accounts, seeing as how interest rates are absurdly low.

What's the fourth demandment? Believe in yourself. Get a checking account and spend America out of this recession. DO IT!!! You can!

any real estate investors out there?

currently doing the company 401k (100% match for first 3%, 50% match for next 2%) and wachovia way2save (5% interest rate for first year, maxing it out with $100/month transfer yields $60 interest accrued).

This is the last straw, U.S. Bank. Just because I don't work for you anymore, doesn't mean you can take away my 1% rewards on my debit card for all signature transactions.

As soon as I can get over to PNC, I'm switching.

Lessons learned today.

Don't make rash investment decisions and make sure I'm investing a large enough amount of money to offset commissions.

Lessons learned today.

Don't make rash investment decisions and make sure I'm investing a large enough amount of money to offset commissions.

I like to make sure I purchase enough of each position so that overall cost of buying and selling is 1% or less of the transaction. I use Fidelity which is $8 per trade so I always buy at least $1600 of whatever I am purchasing (I reduce this to $800 when I am dollar cost averaging a position in which I have conviction as I will sell the whole lot at once at the end keeping the costs to 1% overall). If I dont have enough conviction in something than to spend at least my minimums on it then I shouldnt be buying it anyway.

Thats from two weeks ago.

Good news though, I've saved $1,000 in my savings account, so I should be getting a $50 debit card in the mail in a few weeks.

Thats from two weeks ago.

I was referencing this actually. I just sold three(wtf was I thinking) shares of some garbage stock today that I had bought 3 months ago.

I really appreciate your advice.

I was referencing this actually. I just sold three(wtf was I thinking) shares of some garbage stock today that I had bought 3 months ago.

I really appreciate your advice.

No problem. I learned a lot of my lessons the hard way so I try to help others avoid those same mistakes.

Lessons learned today.

Yeah, those are both good lessons.

Yesterday I bought some Verizon and Merck... was looking at the Dogs of the Dow strategy and figured it couldn't hurt to get some dividend payments from blue chips.

im no expert but do pay attention to expense ratios and vanguard and fidelity seem to have the lowest. i personally have the vanguard s & p 500 index fund.

im no expert but do pay attention to expense ratios and vanguard and fidelity seem to have the lowest. i personally have the vanguard s & p 500 index fund.

Yeah I would just go with the lowest expense ratio since they are all tracking the S&P. Might depend on where you have an account as far as fees etc. Here's are the cheapest options my brokerage firm search brought up:

Fidelity Spartan 500 Index Fund Fidelity Advantage Class FUSVX: 0.07% BUT has a $100k minimum investment so that likely limits it from contention...

Schwab S&P 500 Index SWPPX: 0.09%, $100 minimum initial investment

SSgA S&P 500 Index Fund Institutional Class SVSPX: 0.18%, $2.5k or $1k min depending on basic vs. IRA

Vanguard 500 Index Fund Investor Class VFINX: 0.18%, $3k or $1k min depending on basic vs. IRA

Has anyone else been enjoying the run up in SLV the last few weeks?

Is Facebook not in China? I'm going to buy some Zillow during their IPO and that will tap me out on spec stocks.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. I'm liking LinkedIn the most.

Back