• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

this may be a stupid question, but can you get IPO stock through etrade, td ameritrade, etc

Sounds like Renren had some accounting issues to clear up but still had a strong first day. Bet they would still have preferred not to have the chair of their audit committee resign the day before their IPO though.

I don't know much about IPOs but I'll take a shot:

You can buy a stock on the first day of its IPO on etrade, etc. just like any other stock. You cannot buy it prior to the listing on an exchange unless you are a large client of the investment bank that is underwriting the issuance. Often an IPO stock will rise or fall 10% at 9:30 a.m. on the first day of trading because the investment bank either under or overvalued it relative to the public's appetite.

This is a simplification, but IPOs work when a company wants to raise equity or cashout an ownership stake (or at least make their stake more liquid in the event they want to cashout). I believe a Company will typically work with investment banks who will value the Company and then usher it through the issuance process on a public exchange. The investment bank is often on the hook for the price per share that at which they value it. This value is determined based on profitability, balance sheet, growth prospects, etc. So the investment bank stands to lose or make a lot of money for themselves and their clients based on whether the stock trades higher or lower upon its listing on the exchange. A Company does not have to list or "float" all of their shares on an exchange and they often keep a large stake in order to maintain voting control.

ALTH, I've been reading up on this a lot. and I like it. May 11th is when they announce their results. I may purchase some before then.

ALTH, I've been reading up on this a lot. and I like it. May 11th is when they announce their results. I may purchase some before then.

I'm stoked for them. I have 27 shares and I think they have a pretty decent ceiling.

Does anyone else have a problem with the CME hiking margins on Silver 5 times in the last 2 weeks, while nearly half of the 20 CME members held short positions in silver at the same time?

Last edited:
Looks like Microsoft is buying Skype. What are you guy's thoughts on this?

Looks like Microsoft is buying Skype. What are you guy's thoughts on this?

Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures has a pretty good blog post up about it.

http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2011/05/skype-out.html

He really hits the nail on the head here:

Big companies mostly mess up entrepreneurial companies when they buy them and it really is best that companies like Skype stay independant and run by their founders if that is possible.

Does anyone else have a problem with the CME hiking margins on Silver 5 times in the last 2 weeks, while nearly half of the 20 CME members held short positions in silver at the same time?

At face value, that sounds totally effed.

Well shit. I was planning on waking up at opening time to buy LinkedIn but got lazy in the morning. It's now up $61 dollars from where it opened.

Well shit. I was planning on waking up at opening time to buy LinkedIn but got lazy in the morning. It's now up $61 dollars from where it opened.

I know IPO participants were able to buy it for ~42 but the stock hasnt sold for under 80 at all today. 80 would have been the cheapest you could have picked it up. obviously 35% gain in one day is still nice but not as crazy as it looks.

$9 Billion market cap? Crazy, man. Although I said the same thing about Google when they IPOed.

Harold Camping says that he would be willing to handle all your investments since you won't be needing them after Saturday.

Stay contrarian. Everybody is scared of Europe for some reason or another. It's almost the identical problem we were in less than three years ago. EU doesn't have a central bank. It's going to take more time to unravel everything.

Look at some ADR's on companies based in UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, etc... Forward P/E ratios insanely low.Technicals look good, Fundamentals look great. Earnings are cyclical and looked great for Q1. Earnings are going to suck Q2 and Q3/be revised much lower than before. Soft spots ahead. Sell in May, and go away for U.S.

Europe has some active central banks including the large ECB. I'm not sure if that is good or bad for stocks. European stocks and US stocks have a high correlation so I personally would not be buying one while selling the other.

Earnings are still strong for US companies but I agree that now is not a great time to buy.

Stay contrarian. Everybody is scared of Europe for some reason or another. It's almost the identical problem we were in less than three years ago. EU doesn't have a central bank. It's going to take more time to unravel everything.

Look at some ADR's on companies based in UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, etc... Forward P/E ratios insanely low.Technicals look good, Fundamentals look great. Earnings are cyclical and looked great for Q1. Earnings are going to suck Q2 and Q3/be revised much lower than before. Soft spots ahead. Sell in May, and go away for U.S.

Yes it does...kind of
the problem is the individual countries don't have the ability to print their way out of debt problems if they have to. Greece can't unilaterally devalue the Euro in order to cover it's debt obligation, it has to rely on a decision from the Euro-Zone as a whole

Yes it does...kind of
the problem is the individual countries don't have the ability to print their way out of debt problems if they have to. Greece can't unilaterally devalue the Euro in order to cover it's debt obligation, it has to rely on a decision from the Euro-Zone as a whole

This is my point. Their crisis was/is very similar to our own. It too will ultimately be cleaned up, but it's going to take longer for the reason(s) which you gave an example of. The EU does not have a central bank, unless you consider the IMF's unprecedented action as that of a central bank's. It's reliant upon the decisions of the member countries using the same currency; in this case the Euro. There's 27 EU members. 23 of them use the Euro. Clearly, it's going to take much more time to flush each system's economy with cheap cash and incentivize business lending.

The original intent still stands. Soft spots ahead for the U.S. and even though Europe is feared, they (and Japan actually) have some of the cheapest stocks in the world relative to their book value. People get caught up in their own emotions. See this board 2 months ago talking about how they were getting rich on silver. Most people with an objective outlook trimmed their position all the way to the top, and then subsequently bought back in with all of the profits they had just made. Stay contrarian.

Back