• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

It is hard not to want to buy some shares of COIN. I understand crypto has been hit hard, but I think it's trading at something like 3x earnings

Puts on twitter, right? No way this company digs out if this Kobayashi Musk situation

Last edited:
Puts on twitter, right? No way this company digs out if this Kobayashi Musk situation

No idea how it goes from here, but sentiment is pretty poor right now. It does kind of have the feel of Elon fucking with them at this point. If TWTR really does have something to hide (in terms of not being 100% transparent and potentially misleading investors on a number of metrics), things could get really ugly.

But on the other hand, maybe he's just trying to pressure them into a better deal... Very risky on his part, but he's a weird dude and might be fine just blowing everything up.

Anybody here have an ESPP offered by their employer? Mine just rolled one out with a 15% discount. Don't see any reason why not to, since I can sell immediately upon purchase and take home the discount. Finance bros can confirm, but my calculation is that it equates to a 98.9% annualized ROI.

Anybody here have an ESPP offered by their employer? Mine just rolled one out with a 15% discount. Don't see any reason why not to, since I can sell immediately upon purchase and take home the discount. Finance bros can confirm, but my calculation is that it equates to a 98.9% annualized ROI.
Must be nice that you can sell it immediately. Mine takes a year to vest and has already lost close to half it's value since I started investing last year, even with the 15% discount. If you can sell it immediately or at least during an approved selling window, I would jump all over it at a 15% discount. I am pulling out of mine temporarily.

I think you always always max out an ESPP like that... As you've stated, it is kind of like free money.

The one caveat is that it also depends on how you feel about your company. The biggest issue with me is that, over time, the company I worked for became my biggest position (by far)... Not a lot of diversification when you also consider you work there. Wouldn't be a fun outcome to be laid off and also have the stock crater at the same time.

I got around that by periodically selling shares once they vested to keep it a lower part of my portfolio. But I absolutely bought the heck out it at a discount whenever possible.

back to the savings accounts!

Lol…

Actually…if you want to hold onto significant cash for whatever reasons…and you want your cash perfectly liquid and fdic insured…the online banks will give you ~ 5-10 times the interest you’ll get from your brick and mortar bank.

Not enough to keep up with inflation, but better than almost nothing.

But if you have a long investment horizon, consider putting money into the bear market….?

I've been cash gang until this week. I can't not buy some of these stocks. Gonna probably bite me, but a 5 year low is just sooooo attractive.

I've been cash gang until this week. I can't not buy some of these stocks. Gonna probably bite me, but a 5 year low is just sooooo attractive.

I already own most of what I want to own.

There are a few growth names out there I'm interested in because I don't own much growth... But I just can't pull the trigger yet. Still feels like catching a falling knife. I'll wait and miss the first 10% on the way up instead of jumping in ahead of the next 20% down.

Also feels too early for some of the more cyclical names... I think once recession becomes more consensus, I'll jump in there. Maybe that's closer than I think.

anyone see any high interest rates place to store cash? (non-govt related).

We have the same offering. Purchases are done quarterly. We do limit how much you can buy annually. And you can sell immediately provided the company isn't in a blackout on the date of purchase. I've just used it as a means to accumulate shares. I know there are companies that slap a vesting period on the program, but in my family's experience that is not the norm.

Man I've been listening to a lot of talking heads the last few days. They are all over the place on whether the market has another leg down to go. I'm about to start DCA'ing on some of these "bargains". I presume they'll be going sideways at best for a while. If they take another leg down I guess I'll just be lowering my overall basis as we go.

Also, for all crypto has fallen since November, measured from the last massive dump of all asset classes in March of 2020 BTC and ETH have vastly outperformed all the stock indices. Either portends a whole lot more pain still to come or that the adoption and growth of the space overall warrants the outcome.

Finally, Powell telling the banking committee today he wants to get inflation back to 2% seems really far-fetched anytime soon.

Back