Page 9 of 77 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1525

Thread: Investment Thread - For all your money needs

  1. #161
    The Pumpfaker Stan Gable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adams College
    Posts
    2,338
    Optical networking stocks are getting crushed lately. Picking up some JDSU and FNSR for the long run.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Gable View Post
    Optical networking stocks are getting crushed lately. Picking up some JDSU and FNSR for the long run.
    i think optical networking stock were overbought back at the beginning of the year. most of these stocks are up 30% on a one year basis.

    and jdsu is selling at a crazy 60:1 p/e

  3. #163
    Silver over the next year--SLV---bad US economy, plus growing industrial use. US credit rating takes a Moody's hit in August, watch the metals

    ANd over the next couple of years, SIRI--Sirius Radio looks to have righted the ship and has a good looking chart, which if it keeps it up [ going from .50 to $2.50 over the last 6 months ], looks to be a nice $4 to $8 stock in the next couple of years.

    Expenses are in line & growth to other countris is a definite possibility.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Dented View Post
    i think optical networking stock were overbought back at the beginning of the year. most of these stocks are up 30% on a one year basis.

    and jdsu is selling at a crazy 60:1 p/e
    Completely agree. JDSU is garbage. Look at Net Income, Net Profit Margin and EBITDA. Pile on a 60 P/E and you're asking for a hard landing.

    I think the only 'techy' type of stock I would wade into right now would be CREE. Yes, CREE. Even then I would DCA over the next 6-12 months because I still think domestic equities have another 3-5% drop at least for the short term and 7-10% drop by September.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReff View Post
    Silver over the next year--SLV---bad US economy, plus growing industrial use. US credit rating takes a Moody's hit in August, watch the metals

    ANd over the next couple of years, SIRI--Sirius Radio looks to have righted the ship and has a good looking chart, which if it keeps it up [ going from .50 to $2.50 over the last 6 months ], looks to be a nice $4 to $8 stock in the next couple of years.

    Expenses are in line & growth to other countris is a definite possibility.
    SLV is oversold right now, and it will be over subscribed in the same amount of time that it was before. Definitely not something to dabble in unless you have a very, very strong understanding of the technicals. SMA won't do it.

    SIRI is garbage. Has been and will be...

  6. #166

  7. #167
    Here comes the slaughter. T-Minus 13 minutes...

  8. #168

  9. #169
    Curious if there are any biotech spec investors out there? If I recall there might have been some mentions of TNGN and Atala's presentation at TED previously on these boards.

    I built a position in Advanced Cell Technology (ACTC.OB) the past couple of months given some of the near term drivers in play. Reason I decided to post here for the first time was that I just re-read his bio and saw that Robert Lanza, ACT's Chief Scientific Officer, is (was) an adjunct professor at Wake Med. The guy is considered one of the early pioneers in hESCs so it's really interesting to see all the Wake connections in this field.

  10. #170
    I love biotech and own the exchange fund FBT. The whole industry is too arcane and speculative for my tiny brain so I do not want to buy stock in any specific company. But there are so many developments that seem to come out of biotech that I wanted to own a diverse fund and I plan on holding it for the long haul.

    What is hESC?

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by JGDeac View Post
    200 moving day average for the S&P is at 1,250 so I'm thinking stocks have a bit further to fall and they will test this number and maybe go lower. Last year stocks had a great run starting in late August/early September so for now my plan is to buy some more around that time this year.
    Don't know why I didn't respond to this, because it's a good post. I think 1250 will be tested very soon. I actually think you're going to wind up seeing 100-150 points below that by September. Stocks are still relatively cheap if you look at current versus average P/E ratios. You have to have a chart that can let you do that with *current* companies in the S&P 500 since many in the long term charts aren't even in the S&P any more.

  12. #172
    Investing in a fund is definitely the safer way to play it. Personally, I've just bought in to a couple of different stocks in the space and plan on holding onto them long term with the understanding that most will probably flame out.

    I'm particularly interested in stem cells, so I'm holding onto a number of different players here (GERN, BTX, ACTC.OB, ISCOE.OB, etc.). hESC stands for human embryonic stem cells (the controversial kind vs. the less controversial adult stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells).

    Advanced Cell Technology is by far my biggest position and it is only the second company to receive FDA approval for phase 1 trials using hESC's (the first being Geron). Where it differs from Geron is that rather than trying to tackle something like spinal cord injuries, they are focused on what their old CEO referred to as their "low-hanging fruit strategy." They are developing therapies in hopes of curing AMD and SMD, two of the leading causes of blindness. The benefit here is that the eye is immune privileged (meaning the body is less likely to reject the foreign cells), the market is huge (I read somewhere that J&J called it the largest unmet medical need in the world), and that results will be evident relatively quickly compared to most therapies.

    They were in an absolutely horrible place financially the past few years, but seem to have turned the corner of course at the expense of massive dilution. The good news is they are ready to move forward with injections, which will be done by the end of June according to their latest conference call and that they are expecting preliminary results to be released by October/November timeframe. Best case scenario being positive early results that will allow them to JV with a larger pharma from a position of strength.

    Obviously biotech/pharma investments are extremely speculative, but I tend to believe in the science and the animal models that have been explored thus far. If even one of these companies proves successful in humans, I think general government, religious, and financial approval will follow.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by JGDeac View Post
    I love biotech and own the exchange fund FBT. The whole industry is too arcane and speculative for my tiny brain so I do not want to buy stock in any specific company. But there are so many developments that seem to come out of biotech that I wanted to own a diverse fund and I plan on holding it for the long haul.

    What is hESC?
    Human Embryonic Stem Cell.

    Funny you mention FBT. We build out an ETF model for some folks that are investing large amounts via DCA so they don't get killed with cap gain distributions and we have a 6% position in FBT. Great fund...

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by RawwwleighDeac View Post
    Investing in a fund is definitely the safer way to play it. Personally, I've just bought in to a couple of different stocks in the space and plan on holding onto them long term with the understanding that most will probably flame out.

    I'm particularly interested in stem cells, so I'm holding onto a number of different players here (GERN, BTX, ACTC.OB, ISCOE.OB, etc.). hESC stands for human embryonic stem cells (the controversial kind vs. the less controversial adult stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells).

    Advanced Cell Technology is by far my biggest position and it is only the second company to receive FDA approval for phase 1 trials using hESC's (the first being Geron). Where it differs from Geron is that rather than trying to tackle something like spinal cord injuries, they are focused on what their old CEO referred to as their "low-hanging fruit strategy." They are developing therapies in hopes of curing AMD and SMD, two of the leading causes of blindness. The benefit here is that the eye is immune privileged (meaning the body is less likely to reject the foreign cells), the market is huge (I read somewhere that J&J called it the largest unmet medical need in the world), and that results will be evident relatively quickly compared to most therapies.

    They were in an absolutely horrible place financially the past few years, but seem to have turned the corner of course at the expense of massive dilution. The good news is they are ready to move forward with injections, which will be done by the end of June according to their latest conference call and that they are expecting preliminary results to be released by October/November timeframe. Best case scenario being positive early results that will allow them to JV with a larger pharma from a position of strength.

    Obviously biotech/pharma investments are extremely speculative, but I tend to believe in the science and the animal models that have been explored thus far. If even one of these companies proves successful in humans, I think general government, religious, and financial approval will follow.
    Thanks for talking about Advanced Cell Technology. Admittedly, I don't know anything about most of the OTC type companies or any of the up-and-comers. It's unfortunate, but who we clear through won't be custodian on pink sheet or OTC shares so I never research/look at them or keep up with the goings on. I'm with both of you. I think Bio-Tech is a sleeping giant. Just needs some room to move and a more stream-lined method to go from trials to market without burning every dollar they have in hopes of running a successful company. Most will get gobbled up by big Pharma in M&A anyhow, but there are tons out there with potential. Wish I knew more about it...

  15. #175
    Really this new IPO craze is getting out of hand. Pandora valued at $2 billion off of $138 million in revenue and 1% EBITDA margins? Jesus Christ.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by WRS View Post
    Really this new IPO craze is getting out of hand. Pandora valued at $2 billion off of $138 million in revenue and 1% EBITDA margins? Jesus Christ.
    Yeah seriously. Has anyone not read 'Dow 36,000'? (Of course, it was published in 1999. Whoops...)

    If we could short individual equities without client consent, Pandora would be high on the list...

  17. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDivingDeacon View Post
    Don't know why I didn't respond to this, because it's a good post. I think 1250 will be tested very soon. I actually think you're going to wind up seeing 100-150 points below that by September. Stocks are still relatively cheap if you look at current versus average P/E ratios. You have to have a chart that can let you do that with *current* companies in the S&P 500 since many in the long term charts aren't even in the S&P any more.
    After seeing the meltdown thread, I thought that this should be brought back up. Still seeing really strong resistance around 1090 - 1110. It's a systematic issue, but technicals broke down this week. There's actually a good amount of positive fundamental/valuation data out there. If the jobs report comes in below consensus tomorrow, though, we'll have another big slide even though today's 500 point dip has already priced in some of what's expected tomorrow.

    And whoever said that their broker was pushing a Brazil ETF, ask them why.

    For those that have dry powder on the side lines, don't be scared to pull the trigger when we get around 1150.

  18. #178
    Resident Astrophysicist
    TWDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    22,067
    Blog Entries
    1
    So I'm possibly going to get a credit card with a $500 limit from Truliant.

    For those of you who have credit cards with financial institutions that are separate from your main bank, or for those of you who have one through Truliant. What is the process to pay off a balance? Can I do it with my debit card from PNC? Do I need to draw it directly out of my Truliant checking account?

  19. #179
    The Pumpfaker Baconwfu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    2,615
    I have a wachovia Way 2 Save account that I opened a few years ago. I don't really keep that much money in there because I'll invest it when it accumlates enough money. Anyway last month I had $619 in there at the start of the month. I earned $.02 interest. I don't really care about the interest but that's laughably low... $.24 on $619 per year...that's .038% interest. How are banks not just rolling in dough right now, especially with all the BS fees and whatnot they are charging.

  20. #180
    You can get somewhat respectable rates on online-only savings accounts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •