• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

How will early movers in Canada compete with Mexico and the US in terms of operating costs?

So far the better ones are doing real well and amazingly you have tons of big money starting to move in from all kinds of interested parties. Altria "MO" has made a $1.8 Billion investment in Cronos Group "CRON". Seth Rogan has partnered with Canopy Growth which has made a $500 million investment in the U.S. Jim Cramer has come out talking about several of these larger companies and several are on the NYSE & NASDAQ. Corona beer owner Constellation Brands made a major investment in Canopy Growth last year. And lastly, Molson Coors invested in HEXO and has 57.5% ownership and will make their own non-alcoholic cannabis-infused beverage. They expect that to become legal this year. Many of these companies have gone out & gotten top Wall Street investment bankers, world renown bio-tech scientists to come in and head their operations as they go from small IPO to major players in both recreational and medical cannabis stalwarts. Find the right ones and ride the wave.

So far the better ones are doing real well and amazingly you have tons of big money starting to move in from all kinds of interested parties. Altria "MO" has made a $1.8 Billion investment in Cronos Group "CRON". Seth Rogan has partnered with Canopy Growth which has made a $500 million investment in the U.S. Jim Cramer has come out talking about several of these larger companies and several are on the NYSE & NASDAQ. Corona beer owner Constellation Brands made a major investment in Canopy Growth last year. And lastly, Molson Coors invested in HEXO and has 57.5% ownership and will make their own non-alcoholic cannabis-infused beverage. They expect that to become legal this year. Many of these companies have gone out & gotten top Wall Street investment bankers, world renown bio-tech scientists to come in and head their operations as they go from small IPO to major players in both recreational and medical cannabis stalwarts. Find the right ones and ride the wave.

But it will be grown cheaper is a more pot friendly climate.

But it will be grown cheaper is a more pot friendly climate.

Stay on the sidelines. I have already started profiting nicely and am finding new ones to invest in every day. Medical & recreational is out there with many different ways to go. There is packaging, vaping, hydroponics, high end pot & low end pot. There are edibles and beverages. Plus the CBD side of things on the medical side is where big money can be made.

Stay on the sidelines. I have already started profiting nicely and am finding new ones to invest in every day. Medical & recreational is out there with many different ways to go. There is packaging, vaping, hydroponics, high end pot & low end pot. There are edibles and beverages. Plus the CBD side of things on the medical side is where big money can be made.

I will. A rising tide lifts all boats. Hope you get stuck without a life jacket.

Anyone taking advantage or considering investing into opportunity zones? Seems to be what a lot of the smart money is doing to avoid capital gains taxes.

I was but not sure how. Looked into trying to do a real estate investment with them because of danish tax laws. Ended up moving and throwing my hands up but still very interested.

I will. A rising tide lifts all boats. Hope you get stuck without a life jacket.

Not so far. Riding a nice wave. CURLF up 23%, TGODF up 15%, OGRMF up 9%, CTST down 12%, FLWPF up 19%, CWBHF up 42% & out of 1/2 of it, ORHOF up 26%, KSHB down 6%, EMHTF up 14%, TCNNF up 14% and made one venture capital investment with a company that has great prospects for drugs to help Parkinson's, Epilepsy, Huntington's & other nerve & inflammation disorders. Led by the former CEO of Inovio and already has 2 drugs in orphan drug status being used as they are also in trials.

Yo reff, how did you feel about marijuana five years ago? How long have you supported legalisation efforts?

Anyone have strong feelings about 15 versus 30 year mortgages? I'm currently leaning toward a 30 year. It's seems like the spread between rates (currently could get ~4% on a 30 year and ~3.6% on a 15 year) is less than it used to be, and some of the interest difference is mitigated by the mortgage interest deduction. And as low as rates are now, I feel like I should take the extra money I'd have with a 30 year and just invest it, which I'd expect to have a higher return over the long run. I'd keep more flexibility that way, and I could always pay it down early (there is no penalty, I checked).

Am I missing something?

Depending on the size of your mortgage (i.e. how much interest you’re paying) you might not even get to itemize and take the mortgage interest deduction.

I think your last sentence is spot on though. You can have flexibility to pay it down early if you feel like it. There are calculators out there to figure out how much earlier you’ll pay off your 30 year mortgage by paying x amount extra towards the principal per month or year. That’s the rationale I had when choosing 30 year.

Depending on the size of your mortgage (i.e. how much interest you’re paying) you might not even get to itemize and take the mortgage interest deduction.

As long as you are itemizing, you can deduct interest on mortgages that are up to $750k, right? Unless AMT somehow changes things. Where's Chris when you need him.

I was basically saying you might not have enough deductible expenses to itemize anymore. The standard deduction is very high now at 24k. Couple that with the 10k cap on state/property taxes and you would need a lot of mortgage interest to make your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.

But my larger point was that aside from the potential tax stuff your other rationale makes sense for choosing the 30 yr.

So I have the start of a down payment on a house sitting in an Ally savings account getting 2.2% interest. Due to my move abroad, the housing purchase will not happen for roughly the next 3-6 years. I don't necessarily need the money liquid any time soon, so is there something better I should be doing with it that is relatively low risk?

Not so far. Riding a nice wave. CURLF up 23%, TGODF up 15%, OGRMF up 9%, CTST down 12%, FLWPF up 19%, CWBHF up 42% & out of 1/2 of it, ORHOF up 26%, KSHB down 6%, EMHTF up 14%, TCNNF up 14% and made one venture capital investment with a company that has great prospects for drugs to help Parkinson's, Epilepsy, Huntington's & other nerve & inflammation disorders. Led by the former CEO of Inovio and already has 2 drugs in orphan drug status being used as they are also in trials.

I've been in and out of just about every one you've mentioned in your past few posts.

I've recently been riding a heater on ACRX, which is most likely a pump and dump, just gotta dump at the right time. I also like Hexo and ACB(although heavily diluted). I've been swing trading about 30,000 shares at a time of KGKG(micro cap trading around .08 cents. They're positioned to make a pretty strong run in the CBD beverage market. Worth checking out since you can get in dirt cheap. There also seems to be a lot of consolidation around its current share price and any kind large distribution deal will hike it 25-30% in a day.

Also meant to add NBEV. That has been ridiculously easy to swing trade and day trade.

Company announced a 401k match today for 50% on the first 6% contributed (had no match before)

It's pretty much a no brainer to do the minimum 6% to receive the full match and put it in a Roth 401k, correct? 29 years old

Company announced a 401k match today for 50% on the first 6% contributed (had no match before)

It's pretty much a no brainer to do the minimum 6% to receive the full match and put it in a Roth 401k, correct? 29 years old
100% at least do the 6% minimum. From there, depending upon your situation and short term goals (i.e, buying a house, paying off debt, etc.), may also make sense to just max out the Roth 401(k) each year ($19k in 2019).

100% at least do the 6% minimum. From there, depending upon your situation and short term goals (i.e, buying a house, paying off debt, etc.), may also make sense to just max out the Roth 401(k) each year ($19k in 2019).

10/4, thanks. Bought a house last year and have no debt (other than the house payments). Wife starts work in July so once we reach that DINK status, I may bump up my contribution.

I've been debating Roth vs Traditional for quite some time and haven't come to a consensus. Ended up with splitting it, as having a little in both can be helpful once you start taking money out to have flexibility. If you're in a high state tax state it might be better to go with the traditional over the Roth, as like with California's 9.3%, you can just retire in Nevada/Florida/Texas and avoid those taxes altogether.

So I have the start of a down payment on a house sitting in an Ally savings account getting 2.2% interest. Due to my move abroad, the housing purchase will not happen for roughly the next 3-6 years. I don't necessarily need the money liquid any time soon, so is there something better I should be doing with it that is relatively low risk?

I would try one of the robo advisors like Betterment or Wealthfront, pick a moderate portfolio and let them do the work for you if you don't have the time or want to spend the time allocating to index funds yourself.

Back