• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

you guys are all worried about macro trends when you should really be keeping your eyes local. Krispy Kreme is killing it.

Remember how much people loved Krispy Kreme in the 90s?

you guys are all worried about macro trends when you should really be keeping your eyes local. Krispy Kreme is killing it.

damn this stock ran another 9.2% up since I posted this.

For real, I destroyed in our 8th grade stock market game thanks to RFMD.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some basic financial advice. My wife and I got married last year and we're now just starting to sort through this stuff. We're in our mid to late 20's and currently going through some career transitions. We've been able to save a decent amount but haven't done much with it besides put it in a MMF.

Right now, we're both maxing out our 401k's to get full company match.

After that, should we put additional savings into a Roth or Traditional IRA (I know most people say Roth)?

Anything else we should be doing?

We're both possibly going back to school in a year or two or hopefully buying a home so we're trying to build a good foundation now. I'm not looking to day trade stocks to make a quick buck.

Appreciate your insight and sorry if I'm rehashing earlier debates, thoughts, etc.

Is school going to be full or part time? If its going to be full you guys should focus on getting money saved for living expenses. If its going to be parttime thinking about how you are going to finance the tuition itself is a big consideration as well. If it will be part time and you guys already have the money saved to pay for it then contributing what you can to Roth's is the best idea.

Is school going to be full or part time? If its going to be full you guys should focus on getting money saved for living expenses. If its going to be parttime thinking about how you are going to finance the tuition itself is a big consideration as well. If it will be part time and you guys already have the money saved to pay for it then contributing what you can to Roth's is the best idea.

Still trying to figure this out but we'll most likely go to school full time one at a time (MBA/Master's programs for 2 years).

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some basic financial advice. My wife and I got married last year and we're now just starting to sort through this stuff. We're in our mid to late 20's and currently going through some career transitions. We've been able to save a decent amount but haven't done much with it besides put it in a MMF.

Right now, we're both maxing out our 401k's to get full company match.

After that, should we put additional savings into a Roth or Traditional IRA (I know most people say Roth)?

Anything else we should be doing?

We're both possibly going back to school in a year or two or hopefully buying a home so we're trying to build a good foundation now. I'm not looking to day trade stocks to make a quick buck.

Appreciate your insight and sorry if I'm rehashing earlier debates, thoughts, etc.

Start saving your faces off. Budget your expenses and figure out how much you can ideally save per month after 401k contributions and try to stick to that budget (but still allow from splurges on things you enjoy). You can find good credit card reward deals and other useful info on fatwallet.com. Dual income, no kids is a great time to save money and build a nest egg to buy assets (Roth IRA, house) that will likely appreciate because you have such a long investment time period. Find an asset allocation between investments and Cash that you are comfortable with and stick with that.

Also, you probably each will want some term life insurance if you're a dual income household. And if you have long commutes and spend several thousands of dollars on gas each year, buy an oil stock to hedge that expense.

After many days of losing in the Stock Market, I doubled down yesterday and it paid off big time today. I'm sure (not sure but I imagine) some of my gains will be lost on some profit taking, but it feels good right now

This is my point. Their crisis was/is very similar to our own. It too will ultimately be cleaned up, but it's going to take longer for the reason(s) which you gave an example of. The EU does not have a central bank, unless you consider the IMF's unprecedented action as that of a central bank's. It's reliant upon the decisions of the member countries using the same currency; in this case the Euro. There's 27 EU members. 23 of them use the Euro. Clearly, it's going to take much more time to flush each system's economy with cheap cash and incentivize business lending.

The original intent still stands. Soft spots ahead for the U.S. and even though Europe is feared, they (and Japan actually) have some of the cheapest stocks in the world relative to their book value. People get caught up in their own emotions. See this board 2 months ago talking about how they were getting rich on silver. Most people with an objective outlook trimmed their position all the way to the top, and then subsequently bought back in with all of the profits they had just made. Stay contrarian.

I wonder how everyone's index funds have been doing since this was posted...:thumbsup:

Bingo.

Yes, I am. The ECB is a supervisory board way before it's an actual Central Bank. I'm sorry, it's not a Central Bank. It's governed by European Law, not Corporate Law. Furthermore, the EU does not have EU bonds backed by a central EU taxing authority. Each state sets its own rules and regulations. Any Open-Market operations it conducts are just used to keep stable the price of the Euro and help new Euro-Zone members transition from their own currency to the Euro. That's it. It has a title, but in no way, shape or form does the ECB operate as a central bank.

Trichet, himself said this morning that the ECB isn't set-up to have the authority of a Central Bank: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/business/global/03euro.html

Yes, I am. The ECB is a supervisory board way before it's an actual Central Bank. I'm sorry, it's not a Central Bank. It's governed by European Law, not Corporate Law. Furthermore, the EU does not have EU bonds backed by a central EU taxing authority. Each state sets its own rules and regulations. Any Open-Market operations it conducts are just used to keep stable the price of the Euro and help new Euro-Zone members transition from their own currency to the Euro. That's it. It has a title, but in no way, shape or form does the ECB operate as a central bank.

Trichet, himself said this morning that the ECB isn't set-up to have the authority of a Central Bank: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/business/global/03euro.html

From your article
“Would it be too bold, in the economic field, with a single market, a single currency and a single central bank, to envisage a ministry of finance of the union?” Mr. Trichet asked in Aachen, Germany, where he accepted a prize named for Charlemagne, who united much of Continental Europe.

It's a central bank, it does everything the FED does. He's basically asking for a EURO Treasury Department

From your article

It's a central bank, it does everything the FED does. He's basically asking for a EURO Treasury Department

No it doesn't. At all. It doesn't have the authority to. There are no single issuances of union bonds backed by a single taxing authority. How CAN it be anything like the Fed? It's governed by European Laws. Not corporate laws. The Fed is a corporation, wholly independent of the U.S. Gov't. It's Apples and Oranges.

I had never heard about this Central Finance Ministry idea until today, but it would, in effect, be like a central bank if it went through.

If a true Central Bank has to control money supply and be lender of last resort in times of financial crisis, then the ECB is not that Central Bank. It can only do one of those things, and can't really control money supply that well because it has no control over stopping individual union countries from selling their own debt(s) on the repo market. The ECB is a joke and it's getting a face-lift to become an acting Central Bank. Call it whatever you want to, but it doesn't act in the same capacity as that of a Central Bank. Hence the reason for them being powerless in 2009/2010 and the IMF having to play the role of a real central bank, and them still being powerless today in having absolutely no control over the sovereign debt crisis in Portugal, Greece, Spain, etc... Ideally, a central bank has control over their Union's banks. They control the money, have reserve requirements and authority to establish and set interest rates. The ECB has an influence over those things, but no standing power to do anything about them. Doesn't seem like a Central Bank to me, or anyone following very closely, their role so far to date...

Last edited:
Buy or sell? The markets are crazy these past two weeks.

I'm wondering if I should go all liquid for a bit and take my 22% gains (90% mutual funds) over the past two years.

200 moving day average for the S&P is at 1,250 so I'm thinking stocks have a bit further to fall and they will test this number and maybe go lower. Last year stocks had a great run starting in late August/early September so for now my plan is to buy some more around that time this year.

Back