• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

Granted everything is now closed in california, so I have no where to sell

No planned market timing for me. In for the long haul. I’ll just be looking for some tax loss harvesting on the way down this week.

I've been doing this. I have losses I can write off now for years. I haven't decided if I want to put new money to work, but I think we'll bottom shortly before the long climb back up

Took a stab yesterday and added to some positions that have been creamed. My portfolio is down over 40% from the peak and that is with a 10% cash position.

2191.18 low on the S & P 500 hit last Wednesday. We should rally from last Wed. low. If we break that 2191.18 support, markets will go much lower. Could go either way.

As an ex professional gambler, 3x levered ETF's sure are fun as shit.

BTW, no one ever invest in these things. If something goes up 10% and then goes down 10%, you don't end in the same place, you end at 99. So like after 2 months, you basically lose like 10-30% on average just parking it even if the exchange completely breaks even.

I had a real strong feeling that the market was going down Monday and Tuesday so wanted to lever as much as possible and gamble. Turned out to work well for me, but it works just like sometimes betting on Red in roulette works. I think we'll be under the March lows in April with a fair amount of confidence, so I was looking to double or triple what I put in there. But the math really shows that even if you're right but it doesn't go down much or fast, you break even. If you're a little off ya lose like 30%. If you're really off ya just lose it all. Then again, watching 10% swings on a daily basis was fun for two days.

I really appreciate that Plama allows me to live vicariously as someone without impulse control.

Anybody else starting to feel the bad #vibes? Like a major market correction is going to happen any day now.

Trump trade wars, Brexit, a 10 year unprecedented bull run, and news leaking out that larger Wall Street firms are beginning to downsize.

I have a decent chunk of change (mostly inheritance) that I put away around 4-5 years ago, and it is up almost 80% since then. Would I be a crazy person to walk into my broker and tell him to cash out like 75% of my stocks?

I don't know I just have a bad feeling.

From back in September....wish I trusted myself more

BTW, no one ever invest in these things. If something goes up 10% and then goes down 10%, you don't end in the same place, you end at 99. So like after 2 months, you basically lose like 10-30% on average just parking it even if the exchange completely breaks even.

I had a real strong feeling that the market was going down Monday and Tuesday so wanted to lever as much as possible and gamble. Turned out to work well for me, but it works just like sometimes betting on Red in roulette works. I think we'll be under the March lows in April with a fair amount of confidence, so I was looking to double or triple what I put in there. But the math really shows that even if you're right but it doesn't go down much or fast, you break even. If you're a little off ya lose like 30%. If you're really off ya just lose it all. Then again, watching 10% swings on a daily basis was fun for two days.

i appreciate plama explaining that 10% of 100 is less than 10% of 110

And yes, basically only for intraday trading. On occasion I'll hold overnight if I feel there's going to be significant movement before the market opens the next day but only rarely.

SQQQ has been my shit

I was in SDOW, SPXU and SRS Tuesday morning through Wednesday night. So that timing worked nice. Decided to keep some Roth amounts in for about 2 weeks, which should time through the peak hysteria from the virus as well as poorer than expected earning reports and guidance, and then pull out when the markets are somewhere below the March lows. Likely going to put most of my other balance in SQQQ, that only adjusts monthly I believe, and pull out at a similar low, then switch to long positions at that time (eventhough it may continue to go lower), then just sell my losers at year end to balance off any short term gains.

I was in SDOW, SPXU and SRS Tuesday morning through Wednesday night. So that timing worked nice. Decided to keep some Roth amounts in for about 2 weeks, which should time through the peak hysteria from the virus as well as poorer than expected earning reports and guidance, and then pull out when the markets are somewhere below the March lows. Likely going to put most of my other balance in SQQQ, that only adjusts monthly I believe, and pull out at a similar low, then switch to long positions at that time (eventhough it may continue to go lower), then just sell my losers at year end to balance off any short term gains.

Was not fun being in it on Monday. Lol 3x short position on a day the dow goes up 8%. Got out like 30 mins before close when it was only up 6%, at least. Rather amusing to watch losing large sums of money every 10 minutes. So break-even overall, and looking at just maybe buying a 6 month put option and at least not worrying about trying to time this shit.

So I shorted Tesla at 800 a month or two back, and finally covered at 980. But holy bejeezus balls has the past 10 days of that stock been insane. All tesla has done the past few months is cut prices on all their models, twice, and then delay the reporting of their quarterly results. CA is about to go back in lockdown, but I guess they delivered 10,000 more cars than was expected, so let's raise the value by $100 billion dollars?

Last edited:
And still waiting on that put option to happen.... any day now

So I shorted Tesla at 800 a month or two back, and finally covered at 980. But holy bejeezus balls has the past 10 days of that stock been insane. All tesla has done the past few months is cut prices on all their models, twice, and then delay the reporting of their quarterly results. CA is about to go back in lockdown, but I guess they delivered 10,000 more cars than was expected, so let's raise the value by $100 billion dollars?

I have made a killing on that stock. But I'm done as of about noon today. Call me a giant pussy, but it's just too detached from reality at this point. I think we're going to see a bear week.

Back