• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

What’s the consensus on roboadvisors?

Dumping a bunch of extra savings into Betterment ended up being great for us. I have an old 401k and a current one, it's been easily beating both of them. Of course, in this market everything has been easy, so ymmv when the bad times get here.

Damn it, I was watching TDOC last week and for some reason didn't buy :rulz:

of course all this value will rush back into the market as soon as the pandemic panic ends right? :rolleyes:

tumblr_nla01z2DlK1s0teago1_400.gifv

Yeah I got an email today from Ally warning of pending decreasing savings interest rates.

Yeah I got an email today from Ally warning of pending decreasing savings interest rates.

That’s where my wife has her savings account. She got the same email. In the past, the communications have said “your rate is now X” and this time they were just silent on it. Tells you all you need to know.

Still should be better than what I'm getting at Allegacy, yeah?

30% drop in oil prices in a day. Seems like Coronavirus will be the external shock that takes down the house of cards which is our economy. There's huge amounts of debt out there that corporations can't pay back if all the sudden the american consumer has to go a month without a paycheck, which is seeming increasingly likely. Could be the start of massive deflation.

What's the best online savings account? I'm not currently seeing anything offering 2%, but quite a few are close at 1.85%

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/rates/

I opened both a capital one savings and Discover savings recently to take advantage of the signup bonuses. The capital one account transfers much more quickly to/from my main accounts at BoA than the Discover one does. Discover seemed like 4-5 buiness days, Capital One was 1-2, and was earning me 1.8% compared to 1.7% at discover.

30% drop in oil prices in a day. Seems like Coronavirus will be the external shock that takes down the house of cards which is our economy. There's huge amounts of debt out there that corporations can't pay back if all the sudden the american consumer has to go a month without a paycheck, which is seeming increasingly likely. Could be the start of massive deflation.

Yup.

And much like COVID-19 itself, the financial distress is going to be REALLY bad for some people and not a big deal at all for most.

But longer term deflation is bad for everyone.

Been investing in the equity markets for over forty years. By all means do not try to time this market. Unless you are familiar and know technical analysis refrain from doing anything foolhardy. It is likely with trading curbs in place the markets may close early today. December 24, 2018 low in the S&P around 2350 is a strong support level. There are no guarantees that this level will hold but should see a pause and possible retrace.

On the plus side, and to state the obvious, there are some wicked good mortgage rates right now.

Back