• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

Anyone got any experience with pledged asset mortgages? From what I understand lets say you want to buy a $100k house, instead of putting $20k down and taking an $80k mortgage, you take out a $100k mortgage (paying more interest) but just pledge some stock? Seems an interesting concept if you'd be taking capital gains in selling the stock to pay for the down payment.

Anyone got any experience with pledged asset mortgages? From what I understand lets say you want to buy a $100k house, instead of putting $20k down and taking an $80k mortgage, you take out a $100k mortgage (paying more interest) but just pledge some stock? Seems an interesting concept if you'd be taking capital gains in selling the stock to pay for the down payment.

I hope this is real. If so, we've come full circle back to asset-backed financing. Thank god.

Income based lending is just so...ugh.

I hope this is real. If so, we've come full circle back to asset-backed financing. Thank god.

Income based lending is just so...ugh.

Well I mean you're still pledging 20% of the mortgage, the rest is still being underwritten based on income.

Feels like when Wake raised tuition every year by like 8% a year so maybe nobody notices that its 8% on 8% on 8% on 8% and so forth. Maybe anecdotal but it seems like pretty much everything is more expensive by a little here and there so I don't know how you don't worry about inflation as its already happening.

Commodity prices rising in a number of areas. And electronics components - especially chips - are really a supply chain issue right now (and could be for a while). So are transportation costs (which are sky high right now) to move products.

The US is far alone in this regard and have perhaps done less of this than other nations, but consider we printed more money each month starting in June of last year than we did in the nation's first 200 years of existence. That monetary expansion does not come without impacts. And we're staring at what, another 4T of proposed spending? Worst part is that inflation really socks it to the lower and middle class who are less likely to hold assets that have a finite supply like land, equities, precious metals and now BTC (and soon ETH).

Pretty much none of the inflation with commodities or chips or chlorine or chicken has to do with monetary policy at the moment. It's 100% due to supply chain logistics being FUBAR in this country and around the world the last 18 to 24 months.

Lack of port workers in LA/LB, ship getting stuck in suez, awful rain season in China last year causing them to prioritize their shipping around their own food needs, potential strikes by longshoremen, etc...

And now, an absolute time bomb as most shipping vessels are crewed by people from India, which is in the middle of being decimated by Covid.

It's about to get much much worse before it gets better.

So y'all are saying I should just bite the bullet and buy an $800 playstation 5?

Pretty much none of the inflation with commodities or chips or chlorine or chicken has to do with monetary policy at the moment. It's 100% due to supply chain logistics being FUBAR in this country and around the world the last 18 to 24 months.

Lack of port workers in LA/LB, ship getting stuck in suez, awful rain season in China last year causing them to prioritize their shipping around their own food needs, potential strikes by longshoremen, etc...

And now, an absolute time bomb as most shipping vessels are crewed by people from India, which is in the middle of being decimated by Covid.

It's about to get much much worse before it gets better.

Forgot to mention the degree to which Truckers got laid off and are no longer immediately available to come back.

Would you rather own all crypto currencies or Apple?

Dogecoin market cap is more than FedEx (and Uber and Zoom)

Without question crypto.

I’m reading articles about how you can signup for accounts for binance and bitmex and trade on 100:1 Margin , but most of them seem to ban US traders but you can get around it with a VPN. Of course 100x leveraged buys are driving this market. There’s no actual real volume of doge going on.

This is the online poker boom on crack. The only people who are going to make real money on this shit are the exchanges offering the margin trades and the people who got in early (or those who time it well late).

I mean wtf with some of these leverage amounts

1bf4d1cd4dc28fa2e5d4c0758980fdd4.jpg

How is this not going to end up just like the archegos thing last month where credit Suisse lost 5 billion cause they couldn’t sell the margin trades fast enough, and that was only leveraged 10:1. When bitmex goes down cause it cause it thinks it can unwind its leverage down but can’t because 5 other exchanges beat it to the punch and everyone who owns any crypto on the bitmex exchange suddenly can’t cash out (I lived this in online poker) what happens ?

Although I can generally agree with you that at some point it makes sense if you can to throw 5-15% of your Networth at it to try and hit the lottery, but doge going up 100x makes me think we’re past the point where new money is likely to hit the lottery.

Last edited:
How bad did you lose out when online poker got kneecapped?

Add the used car market to insane inflationary pressure. This has to be the only time in history where you could buy a car two years ago, drive it for two years, then sell it for more than you bought it for.

How bad did you lose out when online poker got kneecapped?

For me it was mainly just losing my source of income immediately without warning. I didn’t get any money trapped, although who knows If I was ever subject to cheats looking at my hole cards.

My roommates had some money get trapped for a few years

How is this not going to end up just like the archegos thing last month where credit Suisse lost 5 billion cause they couldn’t sell the margin trades fast enough, and that was only leveraged 10:1. When bitmex goes down cause it cause it thinks it can unwind its leverage down but can’t because 5 other exchanges beat it to the punch and everyone who owns any crypto on the bitmex exchange suddenly can’t cash out (I lived this in online poker) what happens ?

Although I can generally agree with you that at some point it makes sense if you can to throw 5-15% of your Networth at it to try and hit the lottery, but doge going up 100x makes me think we’re past the point where new money is likely to hit the lottery.

Here's why I take crypto over Apple. Crypto has a market cap of about 2T. Gold has a market cap of 11T. All financial instruments have a market cap of 400T. If you think programmable financial instruments have a reasonable chance to eclipse the market cap of gold over the next, say, 10 years, then consider getting off zero. Because there is no asset class that offers you the same asymmetric reward to risk ratio if you think that's a reasonable possibility.

Fundamentally there are all sorts of things that point to crypto continuing to advance.

The following is a list from April:

- Public Japanese Gaming Giant Nexon Purchases $100mm of Bitcoin on Balance Sheet
- 2nd Oldest U.S. Bank State Street with $3.2tn AUM to Start Trading Crypto
- Former OCC Head Brian Brooks Named CEO of Binance US
- Former CFTC Chair Chris Giancarlo Joins BlockFi’s Board of Directors
- Venmo Launches Crypto Purchases
- Goldman Prepares to Offer Crypto to Private Wealth Management Clients
- Morgan Stanley Files to Add Bitcoin Exposure to a Dozen Institutional Funds
- JPMorgan To Launch First Bitcoin Fund This Summer
- $230bn AUM CI Global Asset Management Launches CI Bitcoin Fund
- US Bank to Launch Crypto Custody
- Wealthfront To Enable Crypto Purchases Later This Year
- MicroStrategy Purchases $15mm BTC at $59,339, Total BTC Purchases 91,579 at $24,311 Average Price
- FinCEN Appoints Former Chainalysis CTO Michael Mosier As Director
- Former Acting Director of CIA Michael Morell Publishes Independent Paper Strongly Supportive of Crypto
- #1 NFL Draft Pick Trevor Lawrence Signs Deal with Blockfolio To Receive Bonus in BTC, ETH and SOL
- Paxos Receives Federal Bank Charter From OCC
- Paxos Raises $300mm at $2.4bn Valuation
- NYDIG Raises $100mm (After Raising $200mm Last Month) From Liberty Mutual Insurance, Starr Insurance and Others
- Consensys Raises $65mm From JPMorgan, Mastercard, UBS, Others
- $445bn AUM Baillie Gifford Leads $100mm Investment in Blockchain.com
- Rothschild Capital Management Takes Stake in Kraken
- Alchemy Raises $80mm Series B Led by Coatue to Be AWS for Blockchain
- RobinHood Announces 9.5mm Users Traded Crypto in Q1-21, Up From 1.7mm in Q4-20
- Revolut Expands Crypto Offering By 11 Names, Now Totaling 21 Cryptos
- Canada Launches Three ETH ETFs
- European Investment Bank Sells EU100m Bonds on Ethereum Network
- Ray Dalio Says of Bitcoin, “I like the diversification of this kind of asset. It should
be party of any portfolio. It’s got merit.”
- Goldman CEO States Bitcoin Is on Inevitable Path to a Higher Market Cap Than Gold
- Gary Gensler Confirmed as SEC Chair
- Brevin Howard Main Hedge Fund to Begin Buying Crypto
- Dan Loeb’s Third Point Files as a Coinbase Custody Customer
- Biden Administration Said to Be in The Early Stages of Developing Crypto Regulatory
Framework
- Congress Passes “the Eliminate Barriers to Innovation Act” to Establish SEC/CFTC Working Group on Digital Assets
- Coinbase To Devote 10% of Resources to Innovation Bets
- Gemini Now Supports Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Tether Trading Pairs to Launch on Coinbase
- Binance Launches Zero-Commission Tokenized Stock Trading
- Coinbase Executes Direct Listing on NASDAQ

Here's a list from prior months -

October 2020
• PayPal & Venmo Introduce Cryptocurrency Buying, Selling & Shopping
• JPMorgan Launches Digital Asset Business Unit, Rumored to Buy Custodian

November 2020
• Citigroup Research Publishes YE 2021 BTC Price Target as High as $318k
• BTIG Research Publishes YE 2021 BTC Price Target of $50k
• AllianceBernstein Recommends Allocation to Crypto

December 2020
• MassMutual Buys $100mm of Bitcoin and Minority Stake in NYDIG
• Guggenheim CIO Scott Minerd Says Bitcoin Fundamental Value Is $400,000
• JPMorgan Says Gold Will Suffer for Years Because of Bitcoin
• Fidelity Digital to Hold Bitcoin as Collateral for Cash Loans
• Jefferies Head of Global Equity Strategy Cuts Gold Exposure for Bitcoin
• SkyBridge Capital Registers Fund to Buy Bitcoin and Buys $182mm

January 2021
• $7.8tn AUM BlackRock Files to Invest in Bitcoin Futures for Two Funds
• Publicly-Traded Marathon Patent Group Purchases $150mm of Bitcoin on Balance Sheet
• Osprey Funds Launches Trading on GBTC Competitor BTC Fund

February 2021
• TSLA Buys $1.5bn of Bitcoin on Balance Sheet
• BNY Melon to Custody Crypto
• MasterCard to Enable Crypto Purchases for All Merchants
• Deutsche Bank to Offer Crypto Custody and Prime Brokerage
• BlackRock Begins Buying Bitcoin

March 2021
• $4tn AUM Morgan Stanley Private Wealth Management to Offer NYDIG and Galaxy BTC Funds to Clients
• NYDIG Raises $200mm From Morgan Stanley, New York Life, MassMutual, Soros
• Visa to Enable Bitcoin Purchases at 70mm Merchants
• Fireblocks Raises $133mm Series C from Coatue, Ribbit, BNY Mellon
• Fidelity, Goldman, SkyBridge, NYDIG, VanEck, Valkyrie, WisdomTree and Bitwise All Have Current Bitcoin ETF Applications Pending
• Visa Launches Pilot with Crypto.com to Settle USDC on Visa Network
• PayPal Acquires Crypto Custodian Curve, Launches “Checkout with Crypto”

Back