• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best ski resort in NC?

Sugar > Beech > My back yard > App Ski

Go to WV is the correct answer though

I haven't been skiing in NC in nearly 15 year but...

I agree with the above post (but Beach and Sugar are basically the same). One addition...Hawks Nest (still there?) is better that both App and your back yard (I wold assume).

Also...Wolf Laural (closer to Asheville than Boone / Banner Elk) is not bad relatively speaking.

I haven't been skiing in NC in nearly 15 year but...

I agree with the above post (but Beach and Sugar are basically the same). One addition...Hawks Nest (still there?) is better that both App and your back yard (I wold assume).

Hawks Nest is no more (they just do tubing/zip line shit now). Had a family mtn house right down the road from it, loved that place growing up.

Also...Wolf Laural (closer to Asheville than Boone / Banner Elk) is not bad relatively speaking.

And that's called Wolf Ridge Ski Resort now iirc, but Cataloochee is better (I think) if you're looking for somewhere closer to Asheville.

Well...I will just take my flannel shirt and Pearl Jam CD and go back to the 90's.

I basically learned to ski at Hawks Nest. For $20 I could rent skis and get a Night Hawk ticket to ski from 6 pm to 2am. Miss that place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I have heard good things about wintergreen near Richmond. May go up there later this month if weather holds.

Snowshoe is great but for the driving distance and price you should fly out west. I have a place at Sugar - middle of the week after a snow it's a lot of fun - it's obviously not Utah but easier to get to than beech and nice for kids - I avoid the holiday weekends. Run whoopdedo to the bottom - it's not bad.

Isn't whoopdedoo the double back diamond? Lol

I basically learned to ski at Hawks Nest. For $20 I could rent skis and get a Night Hawk ticket to ski from 6 pm to 2am. Miss that place.

Man, this was totally me, except for I was trying to snowboard from age 12 onwards (back to skiing now that I'm older). I was super sad when they decided to go w/ this tubing only BS.

The answer is Wintergreen, which is probably easier to drive to from some parts of NC than the "NC" mountains.

Isn't whoopdedoo the double back diamond? Lol

Yeah - you forgot to put the quotes on it - "double black diamond" - silly to label it that but no one is ever on it so it's a fun 2 seconds to start a run to the bottom

There will be some great cross country skiing outside my apartment later today.

I'll have the hot chocolate ready.

For those that recommend Snowshoe, how are the lift lines? We were thinking of going there a few weeks ago, but found lots of reviews about very long lift lines (several mentioned 30 min waits). I get frustrated when my local resort that we make day-trips to from DC has lift lines that are 15 min long. I wasn't real interested in driving the extra distance and spending more money to stand in line for 30 min. In you experience, is it really that crowded at Snowshoe?

Beech has a new mountaintop bar, so that gets my vote. Sugar needs a quad.

For those that recommend Snowshoe, how are the lift lines? We were thinking of going there a few weeks ago, but found lots of reviews about very long lift lines (several mentioned 30 min waits). I get frustrated when my local resort that we make day-trips to from DC has lift lines that are 15 min long. I wasn't real interested in driving the extra distance and spending more money to stand in line for 30 min. In you experience, is it really that crowded at Snowshoe?

Was just there. On weekdays the lines are no problem. On Saturday, it gets very crowded - BUT, go over to Silver Creek (short bus ride, same lift ticket) and there's nobody there. Ski right onto the lift. Most winters Silver Creek has a little trouble getting their black diamonds open, because they're at a lower elevation, but this winter the conditions are GREAT over there. I skiied the hell out of Silver Creek all Saturday two weeks ago and had a great time.

I will add this: if any reviewer complains about lift lines at Snowshoe (or anywhere else south of Vermont), find out if they were there on MLK weekend. Only noobs go skiing in the south on MLK weekend.

I went to sugar on mlk weekend. Lines were only about 5-10 min.

Was just there. On weekdays the lines are no problem. On Saturday, it gets very crowded - BUT, go over to Silver Creek (short bus ride, same lift ticket) and there's nobody there. Ski right onto the lift. Most winters Silver Creek has a little trouble getting their black diamonds open, because they're at a lower elevation, but this winter the conditions are GREAT over there. I skiied the hell out of Silver Creek all Saturday two weeks ago and had a great time.
This. Been doing Snowshoe for a week for the last 25 years. Now drinking Saturdays after 10am. Travel on Sundays.

Back