• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best ski resort in NC?

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
Haven't gone skiing here in years. Friend is looking to rent a cabin at a NC resort. What's the best option?

Nothing worth shelling out money for. Tell him to scrap his plan and go to Snowshoe in WV instead

Nothing worth shelling out money for. Tell him to scrap his plan and go to Snowshoe in WV instead

Second this. I guess Beech if I had to choose, but for not too much farther a drive significantly better skiing is to be had.

Snowshoe is the right answer, but I like sugar a little better than Beech. The flying mile is a nice long run that is almost worth the lift line.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What about VA? I just got back from Vermont but since we're getting this snow I'm thinking about going somewhere this weekend. Probably with my buddy who lives in Richmond. Not sure if we would day trip or stay somewhere in the mountains.

Might just suck it up and go to snowshoe.

Last edited:
I used to ski at wintergreen. About 45 minutes from where my parents live.

I took skiing at wake. It was the shit. You had to ski like a few times the semester at Appalachian Ski Mtn, (for free) then take a test at the end of the semester. Me and my buddy would go ski on thursdays and then drive straight to the bars and party. Good times.

Regarding NC skiing it's all shit, but Lake Junaluska is pretty decent.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Regarding NC skiing it's all shit, but Lake Junaluska is pretty decent.

Does Lake Junaluska have actual skiing, or just like three slopes surrounded by Jesus' love and youth groups?

Does Lake Junaluska have actual skiing, or just like three slopes surrounded by Jesus' love and youth groups?

lol, is there a camp nearby or something? Yeah, it is called Cataloochi I think. I think most NC skiing is completely dependent upon the weather, the few times I've been to Appalacian it was slushy-muddy shit

Winterplace is worthy of discussion here. It's in WV, but only 2 hours up I-77 from Winston (compared to what, 1.5 for Boone?). I've found it's cheaper, has more trails, has lift tickets that aren't restricted by time (i.e. you can come and go on your own schedule without feeling like you're wasting precious time before your lift ticket expires), is nothing but freeway, and the lift lines don't make me want to gouge my eyeballs out.

Snowshoe is the tits though, just got back from an extra long weekend there.

FWIW I like Beech the best most of the time (Sugar is almost always just a total clustercuss). Cataloochee is supposedly not bad either. But yeah, it's completely weather dependent.

Sugar > Beech > My back yard > App Ski

Go to WV is the correct answer though

Snowshoe is great but for the driving distance and price you should fly out west. I have a place at Sugar - middle of the week after a snow it's a lot of fun - it's obviously not Utah but easier to get to than beech and nice for kids - I avoid the holiday weekends. Run whoopdedo to the bottom - it's not bad.

Snowshoe is great but for the driving distance and price you should fly out west. I have a place at Sugar - middle of the week after a snow it's a lot of fun - it's obviously not Utah but easier to get to than beech and nice for kids - I avoid the holiday weekends. Run whoopdedo to the bottom - it's not bad.

Ha probably why I prefer Beech, I've only been able to go on the weekends, and the difficulty of getting there vs Sugar has meant (generally) fewer people.

Beech is better in some ways - it has faster lifts- the weekend at sugar can be a mess - but a Wednesday after snow is a fun day - sugar is adding a slope next year - curious to see what that does - they need to up grade the lifts

And don't get me wrong snowshoe is fun but that drive from winston - especially the last hour and the lack of cell coverage sucks - the western territory there is the only place in the southeast that is close to out west in my opinion it's a great run

Last edited:
Back