• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best ski resort in NC?

Snowshoe is the best in the area, but a longer drive than many want for weekend skiing (from the Piedmont). Wintergreen is my favorite from GSO as far as price, distance, and slopes & CROWDS

For those that recommend Snowshoe, how are the lift lines? We were thinking of going there a few weeks ago, but found lots of reviews about very long lift lines (several mentioned 30 min waits). I get frustrated when my local resort that we make day-trips to from DC has lift lines that are 15 min long. I wasn't real interested in driving the extra distance and spending more money to stand in line for 30 min. In you experience, is it really that crowded at Snowshoe?

Was there this past weekend. Soaring Eagle and Western Territory lifts had hardly any lines at all, and if you ride the other lifts your best bet is the singles line, they scoot you right through.

I like Sugar. I've been a few times with fresh snow and it's great. I've never been to Beech but I hear it's about the same.

I've been lucky to catch a few days of great NC skiing in fresh powder a few days after a big storm. I'd love to be up there this wknd. It's a pain to get up to the Boone area in bad conditions, but if you time it right it's a blast. Normally though it's icy like most east coast skiing.

NC < WV/MD/lower PA < upper PA/NY <<< VT/NH/ME <<<<<<<<<<<< CA/MT/WY << UT/CO

Back