• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Beatles special

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
This could have been really hokey. Luckily it wasn't. There was a lot of good footage and behind the scene stories that most would have never known.

After seeing it here are my top performances:

3. (tie) -Yesterday - Katy Perry- I was worried about this one, but she proved me wrong. Her very tasty interpretation of pop music's most recorded song was nearly perfect in its timing and delivery.

3. (tie)- Here Comes the Sun -Farrell Williams and Brad Paisley - Talk about an odd couple! It worked beautifully. The choices Farrell Williams made shows why he is such a great producer. This was an odd but very inspired pairing.

2. Let It Be - Alicia Keys and John Legend. Yes, I could watch her sing the phone book and be mesmerized. The bar for these two was set astronomically high. They exceeded it.

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps- Joe Walsh and Gary Clark, Jr. People sometimes forget what a monster player Joe Walsh is. I've often thought he's one of the most underrated guitarists in rock history. I've seen Gary Clark, Jr., three times in past month. Each time I like him more. He resisted the temptation of trying to one up Joe Walsh on one of the greatest songs ever written for the guitar and laid down an incredible performance. It almost looked like it was a passing of the baton.

Our whole family (late-50's parents, mid-20's kids) had been jonesing on the Beatles for the last few weeks in anticipation of the special. CBS Sunday Morning had a really good piece on their cultural impact; aired on 2/02 and should be on their website.
A most amazing musical and cultural phenomenon, and even in our "15 minutes of fame" society I think they'll join the Mozart's and Beethoven's of earlier centuries as artists we'll listen to, imitate and study for centuries to come.

Agreed, especially on the performance by Walsh and Clark Jr. Lot's of good performances though I didn't like Imagine Dragon's version of Revolution. It was too hokey and poppy, IMO. Marroon 5 was worse than mediocre.

Paul isn't fooling anyone with the hair dye, but Ringo doesn't look or sing like he is 70+ years old.

That was very good television...for a change! Have to agree with you, RJ, about Joe Walsh. I've been a fan since the James Gang days! In fact, that was a lot better than the stuff he does with the Eagles---blehh!

Please don't forget Annie Lenox doing Fool on the Hill. Incredible performance.

I've been watching some old Beatles interviews. I was surprised to see how pissed George Harrison was with Paul McCartney after the break up.

My daughter and I are going to see Ringo this summer at DPAC. I've raised her on Beatles songs, and I thought this might be one of her last opportunities to see a Beatle perform live. She is excited (probably not as much as I am), but she had a bit of a break down when I told her John Lennon was killed. My wife questioned why I addressed that with my 6 year old, and I said, "well, she wanted to know why the Beatles wouldn't get back together for a concert."

My daughter and I are going to see Ringo this summer at DPAC. I've raised her on Beatles songs, and I thought this might be one of her last opportunities to see a Beatle perform live. She is excited (probably not as much as I am), but she had a bit of a break down when I told her John Lennon was killed. My wife questioned why I addressed that with my 6 year old, and I said, "well, she wanted to know why the Beatles wouldn't get back together for a concert."

Be sure to check ahead of the concert to see who will be a part of Ringo's band that night so you can educate you daughter if she's not familiar with them. In the past he's had guys like Peter Frampton, Rick Derringer and Billy Preston pop in and out of various dates (of course sadly no Preston on this tour).
As for the Grammy special, I though it would have been neat to have Paul, Ringo, Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon perform a few songs. Anyone hear an explanation of why Julian was not present?

As for the Grammy special, I though it would have been neat to have Paul, Ringo, Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon perform a few songs. Anyone hear an explanation of why Julian was not present?

I thought I saw Julian in the crowd near Yoko at one point. Was more surprised that Zak Starkey, Ringo's son, didn't play. Never saw the Who with Keith Moon, but have seen them a few times with Zak on drums and he's really solid.

Who was Zak going to play with? He's not going be in the background players. The only time would have been in tandem with his dad.

The bzz liked the stones tag offends me because the stones are fucking awesome as are The Beatles

Back