• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Google Fiber coming to NC?

Also Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham area being looked at.

Super super jelly of them if they get this.

I have to imagine the tech giants in RTP will be lobbying hard to get this done.

List of new cities:

Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and San Jose.

Wow, looked up the packages/pricing. This would kill TWC/Comcast/everyone else.

If you pay installation ($300) you get free internet (for 7 years) at 5mpbs (no data cap), which isn't a great speed, but it's free.
$70/mo. gets you gigabit internet (speeds that likely none of us have ever come close to seeing), installation fee waived
$120/mo. gets you internet, 200+ HD TV channels, free Nexus 7 tablet

Also, these aren't "introductory" prices that they'll jack up after the contract, a la TWC.

If you pay installation ($300) you get free internet (for 7 years) at 5mpbs (no data cap), which isn't a great speed, but it's free.
$70/mo. gets you gigabit internet (speeds that likely none of us have ever come close to seeing), installation fee waived

Also, these aren't "introductory" prices that they'll jack up after the contract, a la TWC.

Fry-Shut-Up-and-Take-My-Money-Futurama.gif

Interesting. I'd want to find myself somewhere in between the first and second options. 5mbps vs gigabit is a big gap... and so is $0/month vs $70/month.

but i didnt think americans wanted high speed internet

It is a large gap, but consider that FIOS is $50/mo for 15mbps, and that price is only for the first year. UVerse is $45 for 18, for one year. TWC is $35 for 15, for one year.

By comparison, it's a great deal. I guess if you only need 15 or so mbps (which is plenty for average users), then it's more, but not significantly more money (especially over the long run) for shit-tons more speed.

Yeah, that second paragraph is the point I was making. It makes more sense for the heavy (or institutional) user rather than the average user like myself.

yeah would be nice to offer something between 5mbps (kinda slow) and a gig

I wouldn't get it, but I never read the internet. Or the papers.

Fuu, [Redacted] jokes on the pit tend to take me off guard.

I'm pretty lucky. Have affordable fiber optic internet and cable through a local company (BVU). Not bad for a small town in SW Virginia.

Back