• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. John Litcher

HeltonCreek

Well dang!
Reaction score
I know a lot of us took Dr. Litcher's Geography class while at Wake. My best friend from Wake has stayed in touch with him over the past ten years and passed along this email from his daughter. Dr. Litcher has a very aggressive terminal cancer and will receive hospice care.

Hello Everyone,

As John's daughter-in-law, I am checking his email during this difficult time. I'm not sure of your relationship with John but since you are in his e-mail address book, I'd like to offer you a current update on John's warrior status -

Please share this with anyone, and everyone, that needs to know and cares for this wonderful man.

As of today, he will have hospice visit the house three times a week. Hospice has been awesome helping everyone, and especially John, with the symptoms of such an agressive cancer. He is on a morphine patch and morphine liquid to keep his pain at bay. He still hasn't eaten but has sipped water without vomiting. Jade will take a leave of absence from work and be with his parents in Winston/Lewisville home 24/7 starting today. The family got to visit with him on Sunday and he looked great. He was lucid, humorous, heartfelt and loving. Each of us got to spend some time alone with him which really helped.

If anyone you share this with would like to do something for the family, I'm going to actually ask a favor. I want John to know what a legacy he will leave on this earth because he is such a humble and caring man. I humbly request, of those that love John, write a note or e-mail, sharing a story or experience they shared with him. It will bring great comfort to the family and of course, put a smile on John's face. Here's the address and e-mail Jade and I will be checking. Ramona or Jade will read the sentiments to John.

Dr. John Litcher
P. O. Box 752
Lewisville, NC 27023
litcher@wfu.edu

John is a warrior; however, I am sure your kind and thoughtful words would be a comfort to him at this time.

Godspeed,

Cathi Litcher
for the Litcher Family Clan!

I hate that he's got terminal cancer. It sucks, it really does. The Hospice workers are absolute angels and did more than we could have ever ask for my mom. Bless them all.

I took his class in the late 90's during the infancy days of the environmental studies program. Such a good teacher and such a funny guy. I just sent him/his family an email.

He was my adviser. Such a great dude. I went on a 6 week Asia trip with him in the summer of 1992. What a great experience.

I took Foundations of Education with Dr. Litcher during a summer session in 1977 when he was an associate prof. What a great guy. Candid, knowledgable, real world, and funny as hell. One of the best profs I had in my years at Wake.

Dr Lichter was without question my favorite prof at wake. And he is a better man than he was a professor. I wish him well on his journey. He taught me, and a lot of others, more than I, and we, can express.

I remember him telling us corny jokes in class. My favorite was from when he was in the Navy and had just gotten his orders which said he would be going to "Newf." He found out this was short for Newfoundland and was pretty depressed about going there. His buddy told him it wouldn't be so bad, there was a girl behind every tree in Newfoundland. When he got to Newfoundland, he saw that there were no trees.

It's really great that he was so active with the Lewisville Fire Department. I never knew that about him.

He was our fraternity's faculty advisor. He was very active in Crisis Control Ministries. Great man. RIP.

Back