• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Foxxy locksy

I don't often read NYT op-eds, but I thought Krugman is spot on here about the GOP budget proposal. It's an intentional and blatant transfer of income from poor and middle-class to rich, but they can sell it as "we're cutting the deficit" because your average voter doesn't understand economic policy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/opinion/paul-krugman-trillion-dollar-fraudsters.html?smid=tw-nytimes

yet:

Most of us understand what it means to balance a budget. Despite $2.1 trillion in new tax increases, President Obama's budget never balances, which is in stark contrast to the budget House Republicans approved this week that balances in less than 10 years without raising taxes while cutting $5.5 trillion in unnecessary spending. The GOP proposal also provides a framework for completely repealing Obamacare and calls on Congress to pass comprehensive tax reform that lowers rates for individuals, families and employers.

In my family, balancing our budget isn’t just a priority, it’s a requirement. We must view America’s budget the same way. Washington owes the American people a responsible budget that reins in wasteful federal overspending and guarantees accountability for the use of taxpayer dollars. House Republicans have approved a budget that not only places our country on a path to pay off the overwhelming mound of debt we face, but will also spur economic growth and increase opportunity.

http://foxx.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=XDVP75FEZSENVJZKRIMO6IEQ2U

because the largest economy in the world and only superpower is EXACTLY LIKE Virginia Foxx's family budget.

Looks like OUR GIRL, Ginny, is getting primaried from the right.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/elections/curran-announces-she-ll-challenge-foxx-in-gop-congressional-primary/article_7b861e3a-dd37-11e4-9eb0-cf2a6bd17f11.html

Pattie Curran, a Kernersville resident, announced Tuesday that she will be running for the seat.

Curran may not have the name recognition that Foxx has accumulated over the past decade as a member of Congress, but she is known in local GOP circles.

Curran has been a staunch opponent of the Affordable Care Act, and she's "the mom who took on Kay Hagan," Curran said, referring to a video-recorded confrontation with Hagan, the Democratic U.S. senator who lost her seat in the 2014 election.

The video went viral, and people in the 5th District who might vote in a GOP primary may recognize Curran from that footage.

It's going to be pretty tough to go to the right of a Congress(wo)man who was something like the third most conservative member of the House over the past couple of years isn't it?

It does look like Pattie Curran shot around an email to make sure her friends all commented on the JournalNow article.

https://pattiecurran.com/

Oh good god. That family picture is just classic.

Some solid #hottakes on her issues page as well:

On education: The Constitution of the United States does not include a provision for the federal government to be involved in education. Education should be left to the states and local communities. Parents have the God-given right to educate their children as they see fit.

On energy: Government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers. Government’s responsibility is to secure our natural rights, not to promote one energy source over another. Government often stands in the way with its onerous regulations.

Last edited:
I'm sure if we just let the private market reign unfettered, health insurance companies would be more than happy to cover all her sons' extremely rare and expensive conditions at very low costs, even if her husband gets laid off or has to switch insurers.

I'm sympathetic to her cause and story but I'm also curious who her husband works for where there was a $7.4 million increase and how the hell she knew about it with such specificity.

I'm sympathetic to her cause and story but I'm also curious who her husband works for where there was a $7.4 million increase and how the hell she knew about it with such specificity.

Likely works for a very large, publicly traded corporation.

Back