• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My case for hiring Steve Wojciechowski as the next Wake bball coach

But is it sandstone or granite, the details are important. :)

The son of a guy whose name adorns a building on campus would be fawned over by that sweater wearing shut mouth set. Same people are probably a little scared of our current loudmouth coach who wants to change things.
Exactly. Wake hiring the working man coach over the elite son of a major benefactor to the school is precisely a move that goes against the grain of typical Wfu safe bets.

And, lest we forget, a lot of the reasons Wojo would thrive at Wake weren't present at Marquette.

Not sure what exactly this means, but Marquette has one of the biggest budgets for basketball in the country.

They fired Wojo because they're about to pony up to get someone clearly better

Yeah, that AD who hired Prosser was way better.

Oh yea, you mean the AD who hired the coach there who also finished in last place in the ACC in his next to last season with his own 4 man senior class of recruits that many on this Board said was the best in WF history [Williams, Gray, Ellis & Strickland] and then his tragic last year happened to finish in next to last place in the ACC. Of course Well-Man's last two hires were "name redacted" & Manning and that was like being on probation for 10 years. Well-Man should have never let his ego get in the way and kept Odom here and he might still be coaching, just like Boeheim, K, Williams, Larranaga & Hamilton.

Oh yea, you mean the AD who hired the coach there who also finished in last place in the ACC in his next to last season with his own 4 man senior class of recruits that many on this Board said was the best in WF history [Williams, Gray, Ellis & Strickland] and then his tragic last year happened to finish in next to last place in the ACC. Of course Well-Man's last two hires were "name redacted" & Manning and that was like being on probation for 10 years. Well-Man should have never let his ego get in the way and kept Odom here and he might still be coaching, just like Boeheim, K, Williams, Larranaga & Hamilton.

And then his incoming class helped lead us to a #1 ranking in the nation.

I don't know anyone on this board who said that was our best recruiting class ever.

PATHETIC!

And then his incoming class helped lead us to a #1 ranking in the nation.

I don't know anyone on this board who said that was our best recruiting class ever.

PATHETIC!

Yeah. I don't know of any claims about that class being our best ever. For me, our best ever recruiting classes were Childress/Rogers/Owens/Blucas and Morgan/Johnstone/Rogers/Helms

I mean it's totally fair to question skip prosser's postseason performance in the totality of his career at Xavier and wake. He only made 1 sweet 16 in 9 tournament appearances and only made it to the conference tournament finals one time with loads of top 1 through 3 seeds during the regular season at both stops.

I think he was a good coach but wasn't a great one and would have never broken through to have wake as a perennial great postseason team.

Now, tell us all what bad hires Grobe and Clawson were.

I mean it's totally fair to question skip prosser's postseason performance in the totality of his career at Xavier and wake. He only made 1 sweet 16 in 9 tournament appearances and only made it to the conference tournament finals one time with loads of top 1 through 3 seeds during the regular season at both stops.

I think he was a good coach but wasn't a great one and would have never broken through to have wake as a perennial great postseason team.

You have to be able to play D to advance consistently in the NCAA Tournament. D was never the calling card of Skip coached teams. But man, some of those teams were fun to watch and put up points.

I miss the days when WF coaches were judged on how deep their teams advanced in the post-season. At this point, it's hard to imagine critiquing a WF coach who "only" got the Deacs into the tournament, but not into the Sweet 16.

I will always wonder how Skip would have done with the 08/09 team. I want to believe he would have ultimately broken through.

I will always wonder how Skip would have done with the 08/09 team. I want to believe he would have ultimately broken through.

Although I liked Skip overall as a coach and recruiter, the 1 area of coaching he consistently failed in was coaching D. The only improvement Dino made was visiting Bennett's dad and installing the packline. Those were some of the best Ds we've had, although those teams were challenged in terms of throwing it in the ocean.

I would have strongly preferred Wojo to Manning and think he would have done a better job, but at least Manning was reasonable under the dumpster fire Wellman created. Why Wellman wasn’t terminated during [Redacted], I’ll never understand.

Since Chris Paul wore a Wake uniform Wake is 1-3 in NCAA tournament games. We have a long way to go to get back to where we were then. Seeing teams like Oregon State and Rutgers play well and either win or lose close games gives me hope that Forbes can get us back in a couple or three years once we get a combination of talent and experience.

Since Chris Paul wore a Wake uniform Wake is 1-3 in NCAA tournament games. We have a long way to go to get back to where we were then. Seeing teams like Oregon State and Rutgers play well and either win or lose close games gives me hope that Forbes can get us back in a couple or three years once we get a combination of talent and experience.

Is CP3 really the best example here? My recollection of our post-season record during his tenure was no ACC tourney wins, a sweet 16 before losing to St. Joe's and a 1st round exit, I think to a Directional Tennessee.

Back