• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My case for hiring Steve Wojciechowski as the next Wake bball coach

Agreed. Would be a great hire. I think we should absolutely interview Wojo.

Hidden amazing thing to ponder when considering the Wojo Head Coaching Experience:

An all-former-Duke-player roster of assistants. Instead of Childress and LaRue, our bench will be like Greg Paulus, Lee Melchionni, the guy who broke Justin Gray's jaw, and that tall goofy white dude who quit basketball to open a bakery.

How do you know he isn't getting the Duke job? From the outside it looks he's the heir apparent.

From the outside it would appear that Tommy Amaker is the heir apparent to Coach K as he has the head coaching success resume already that Collins does not have. The heir apparent to the Roy Williams job may just be sitting on the bench with him--Hubert Davis.

Johnny Dawkins is the beginning and end of this "conversation."

Donaldross knows people and is the Wake super-fan and all that jazz, but this is the sequel to his "officially unofficial" fiasco. (Credit to Milhouse for that jab.)

I don't know what that means. I told you Skip Prosser planned to take the Pitt job. As history has proven, he did plan to take it.

Just so no one later claims I said Wojo would be the next head coach, I am not saying that. I hope he will be though and I have explained why.

This is the same guy who said top 10 programs would be banging down the door to hire Wes Miller who was on his way to 800+ wins. Let's pump the brakes.

Hidden amazing thing to ponder when considering the Wojo Head Coaching Experience:

An all-former-Duke-player roster of assistants. Instead of Childress and LaRue, our bench will be like Greg Paulus, Lee Melchionni, the guy who broke Justin Gray's jaw, and that tall goofy white dude who quit basketball to open a bakery.

Just shoot me now. Please. Right between the eyes.

Wes Miller has 31 of those wins already. He's 6 years younger than Wojo. He had the same number of road ACC wins we had this season. I am not backing down from my call that he will have a huge career. I agree we can't justify his hiring right now but he'll be a success.

All of these points are valid. At the end of the day however, it's Wojo. No.

Of course it's possible, but he's been pretty bad so far, and his team has gotten worse every year.

No head coaching experience. Zero. I'm amazed that this is even a topic of conversation.

I have to confess I actually had entertained this idea myself... briefly. While I can't see Wojo as the kind of big name instant impact presence most of the fanbase wants and believes we need, I wouldn't be displeased with a Wojo hire. I still hate Duke and UNC but the best thing you can do to harm them is to take one of their own and turn him into a Deacon. Loved Bill Dooley at Wake.

Johnny Dawkins is the beginning and end of this "conversation."

Donaldross knows people and is the Wake super-fan and all that jazz, but this is the sequel to his "officially unofficial" fiasco. (Credit to Milhouse for that jab.)

Johnny Dawkins has had a little luster taken off his star at Stanford & Tommy Amaker is greatly building back his resume that got a little tarnished at Michigan. But watchout if Collins were to some how make Northwestern into a winner. They have never done so there so it will be a head turner if he does.

This thread was, to quote rj, "as predictable as the tides."

Hide your keys, DR. We're coming.

Playing, coaching and recruiting for a championship program brings benefits. Although K. probably has some sort of unpublicized non-compete clause in his arrangements with former players on his staff.

Johnny Dawkins has had a little luster taken off his star at Stanford & Tommy Amaker is greatly building back his resume that got a little tarnished at Michigan. But watchout if Collins were to some how make Northwestern into a winner. They have never done so there so it will be a head turner if he does.

Don't know why I'm replying to you because you're a joke, but it's the LORD'S DAY. Meanwhile, Amaker would be a much greater hire than Wojo.

DR, what makes you think Wojo will be so successful when so many of K's formers players/assistants have failed? What makes him different?

I can't think of a single successful BCS level coach that was hired to their HC job from an assistant role at outside program. Way different ballgame than an internal promotion. There might be a couple but it is pretty rare.

Back