• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

You could, but use could judgment. Mine started riding Big Thunder (40") soon after he turned 2 and loved it. So he naturally thought he'd love Everest (44"), so he wanted to ride it as soon as he was tall enough. We let him at about 3 or so and he hasn't wanted to ride it again since. He hasn't shown any interest in riding Space Mountain (44") so we aren't encouraging him. He was eager to ride Primeval Whirl in Dinoland at Animal Kingdom which for some reason is 48". He barely missed the cut twice but made it this time. He loved it. He always likes to ride similar rides at the fair.

My kids were interested in meeting the characters at age 5 and 3, but we did the princess lunch and a couple of character meals so we didn't have to wait in line much in the park. Scheduled a time to meet Mickey and Minnie in toonland or whatever it's called and didn't wait there. Also had a Chase Disney Visa for a meeting at some other place. So, we didn't spend much time in the park chasing characters.

When we went back and they were 7 and 5, they didn't give two shits about the characters.

My kids were interested in meeting the characters at age 5 and 3, but we did the princess lunch and a couple of character meals so we didn't have to wait in line much in the park. Scheduled a time to meet Mickey and Minnie in toonland or whatever it's called and didn't wait there. Also had a Chase Disney Visa for a meeting at some other place. So, we didn't spend much time in the park chasing characters.

When we went back and they were 7 and 5, they didn't give two shits about the characters.

My almost 2 year old is into characters. My almost 5 year old is generally a little intimidated by them. He did willingly take some pictures at our character lunch at Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. I think they'll grow out of it.

I have to admit I'm intrigued by the Princess Dinner at Epcot. I don't know many places to get Scandinavian food and I have no problem with hot chicks in dresses parading by my table every few minutes. My wife would see through the latter in a second though.

I don't even know if I knew you could meet princesses when I went as a kid... either my parents are geniuses or I just didn't care.
How do little kids know to get stoked about meeting the princesses? I'd imagine the parents told them about it, so that's on them.

Yeah when I was little, getting autographs from characters was big but it would all happen at the character breakfasts or when you happened to stumble upon them in the parks. There weren't like "dedicated character areas" like there are now (at least not from what I remember). With a 300 minute wait time, and my dads lack of patience, little dash would have been out of luck at meeting the princesses anyway.

I think the only characters I ever waiting in line for (or wanted to) was the TNMNT, who used to be at MGM. I'd get autographs from the others I'd see wandering the parks. I don't think they do that anymore because of crowds, right?

I think the only characters I ever waiting in line for (or wanted to) was the TNMNT, who used to be at MGM. I'd get autographs from the others I'd see wandering the parks. I don't think they do that anymore because of crowds, right?

YES! I remember then being there. That was awesome. #turtlepower

I remember they pulled up in the Turtle Wagon and hopped out and did a little show and I ran up to one to get an autograph and this dude was like "back of the line, kid!" and motioned me away.

are they gonna like make the Maelstrom a Frozen ride?

Either that or theme the Blizzard Beach water park around Frozen.

Minor characters randomly set up shop somewhere. I saw Cinderella's stepmother and stepsisters outside of New Fantasyland.

Epcot has character meet and greets in World Showcase that have short lines and no Fastpass.

I've seen Lilo at Animal Kingdom randomly. They have Dug and Russell from Up in a specified spot as well.

Hollywood Studios has a bunch of them during Star Wars weekends going on now. I saw Chewbacca which was awesome. Didn't stand in line for a picture though.

Only the big ones are in closed off spaces and require Fastpass lines like Mickey, some princesses (Anna, Elsa, and Cinderella mostly), and Tinker Bell.

when I was there in Feb, I went to all the parks (a few multiple times) and the only time I saw Mickey was on the float at the Animal Kingdom parade

when I was there in Feb, I went to all the parks (a few multiple times) and the only time I saw Mickey was on the float at the Animal Kingdom parade

Exactly. If you don't book a Fastpass or wait in line, you only see him in the parades. It's easy to see him in Epcot though. The line is pretty short nowadays.

I have to admit I'm intrigued by the Princess Dinner at Epcot. I don't know many places to get Scandinavian food and I have no problem with hot chicks in dresses parading by my table every few minutes. My wife would see through the latter in a second though.

We did the breakfast version. Pretty decent breakfast and the kids got to meet a bunch of the princesses all at once. They even do a little parade around the restaurant with the kids at the end of the meal. Lots of good photo opportunities.

My almost 2 year old is into characters. My almost 5 year old is generally a little intimidated by them. He did willingly take some pictures at our character lunch at Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. I think they'll grow out of it.

The Princess Dinner was one of our highlights from a few years ago, mainly because of the Scandinavian food. Hot princesses don't hurt either.

We did the Princess lunch in Cinderella's Castle. Not a bid gig.

We're going next week and are signed up for the Epcot princess dinner. Looking forward to it. NOT waiting 300 minutes to see Anna and Elsa, though, that's for sure. Good info about the Mine Train.

We are staying at Windsor Hills Resort (condos) off property. It's 10 minutes from the park, each condo has at least 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, and its own pool, and the price is like 1/4 the cost per night of a 2-double bed Disney hotel room. Plus, we are AAA members, which gives us Diamond Parking which means we park right up front beside the handicapped spots at the parks. It's fun at the end of the day to walk right past all the sweating tired people with screaming kids who are lined up 200 deep for the Disney buses. Highly recommend Windsor Hills.

We did the Princess lunch in Cinderella's Castle. Not a bid gig.

Did that last time when our little girl was three. I think meeting Cinderella was absolutely the highlight of her entire life up to that point. May still be the high point.

We're going next week and are signed up for the Epcot princess dinner. Looking forward to it. NOT waiting 300 minutes to see Anna and Elsa, though, that's for sure. Good info about the Mine Train.

We are staying at Windsor Hills Resort (condos) off property. It's 10 minutes from the park, each condo has at least 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, and its own pool, and the price is like 1/4 the cost per night of a 2-double bed Disney hotel room. Plus, we are AAA members, which gives us Diamond Parking which means we park right up front beside the handicapped spots at the parks. It's fun at the end of the day to walk right past all the sweating tired people with screaming kids who are lined up 200 deep for the Disney buses. Highly recommend Windsor Hills.

Did you book through AAA? If not, how do you set that up?

I had no idea that's what the Diamond Parking was. We've parked there before at Magic Kingdom when nobody was there to tell us differently. Wouldn't mind hooking that up for the other parks.

I'm curious about off-property locations as well. We have family probably coming in the Fall and would like to stay with them in condos.

Did you book through AAA? If not, how do you set that up?

I had no idea that's what the Diamond Parking was. We've parked there before at Magic Kingdom when nobody was there to tell us differently. Wouldn't mind hooking that up for the other parks.

I'm curious about off-property locations as well. We have family probably coming in the Fall and would like to stay with them in condos.

My wife booked the condo directly with the owner, probably through VRBO or something like that. If you google Windsor Hills Resort rentals there's a bunch of hits. Several of the owners have their own websites. I don't think anyone actually lives there, basically all the owners rent them out for Disney tourists and it's totally set up for that. There's a nearby grocery store, a big central pool with a big waterslide in addition to the "personal" pool behind each condo, etc.

Diamond Parking as far as I can tell is just a member benefit of AAA, although maybe you have to buy your Disney tickets through them to get it, I'm not 100% sure. The wife is the Disney nut and has handled 100% of the planning for this voyage.

YES! I remember then being there. That was awesome. #turtlepower

I remember they pulled up in the Turtle Wagon and hopped out and did a little show and I ran up to one to get an autograph and this dude was like "back of the line, kid!" and motioned me away.

Yep! They were the best. We have a great picture of little bofunk with his dedicated character autograph book looking up at Michaelangelo in awe because he thought it was the real dude. Head to toe osh-kosh.

Back