• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

uh, it's not that hot, either. we used to go in January when i was a kid and we went to the water parks like once or twice

No kids still depends on what you want.. Are you a rides and thrills type? Do you just want to drink foreign beers and walk around Epcot? See the Xmas show at hollywood studios... If rides, and you don't want to do MK, Islands of Adventure may be better.. If you're more chill and hang out, Epcot..

Now the question is anyone going to be around the second week of Sept.

That's a great time to go. Weather is decent. Kids are just back to school so crowds are pretty low.

One thing I forgot from that podcast. Maelstrom at Norway in Epcot is closing by the end of September to make way for a Frozen themed ride.

Last edited:
October is great for the food fest in Epcot;

super bummed about the loss of the Maelstrom. loved that ride

going to Orlando in December. I've never been to Islands of Adventure, so that will definitely be on the docket. I've been to Disney several times, the last time being around 5 years ago and we were just there for the day so we did Magic Kingdom. Not interested in doing MK again-- what other park should I visit this time? Hollywood Studios? Note there will be no kids with us.

Also, I read somewhere that the water parks are all heated... would it be absolutely stupid to do blizzard beach in early December?

Epcot

grey-goose-slush-and-grand-marnier-slush.jpg

Food and Wine starts Sept 19 and runs through to Nov 10.

92, looks like you're just missing it. That sucks. It's my favorite event. We are there probably every other week.

Food and Wine starts Sept 19 and runs through to Nov 10.

92, looks like you're just missing it. That sucks. It's my favorite event. We are there probably every other week.

Oh fuck yeah Food & Wine festival

We went spring break to the water park and it was fairly chilly out of the water. December could be iffy.

Definitely go to Epcot on the 19th then. It will be packed though.

Some other info I learned from the podcast I posted:

Universal is building a water park and they're spending $250M to do it.

Universal is working hard to get the rights to build a Lord of the Rings area in the parks.

With the Harry Potter additions and now this water park and the potential of Lord of the Rings, Disney is scared that Universal has gone from a one day park similar to Sea World to a four day park. In other words, people will be choosing Disney or Universal instead of doing just Disney or both.

So it's an arms race.

Definitely go to Epcot on the 19th then. It will be packed though.

Some other info I learned from the podcast I posted:

Universal is building a water park and they're spending $250M to do it.

Universal is working hard to get the rights to build a Lord of the Rings area in the parks.

With the Harry Potter additions and now this water park and the potential of Lord of the Rings, Disney is scared that Universal has gone from a one day park similar to Sea World to a four day park. In other words, people will be choosing Disney or Universal instead of doing just Disney or both.

So it's an arms race.

Which is awesome for us! I really hope that LotR park works out.

I also overheard from a guy that claimed to work for Universal (he was drunk and spilling secrets to friends) that there is something in the HP contract with Rowling that they have to make major improvements to the park every 5 years for the first 20 or so, so if that's true it explains the new stuff that just opened there, and also means there is a lot more stuff potentially coming in the pipeline for that. #scoooop

That sounds similar to the deal Universal had with Marvel. That may be standard. They can't let anything fall off too much.

Exciting times. Disney has been getting stale. We were probably going to switch to Universal and Busch Gardens after my youngest surpasses all the Disney height requirements.

That sounds similar to the deal Universal had with Marvel. That may be standard. They can't let anything fall off too much.

Exciting times. Disney has been getting stale. We were probably going to switch to Universal and Busch Gardens after my youngest surpasses all the Disney height requirements.

CRUSHED Busch Gardens on spring break in Clearwater one time. Love that park. Badly underrated. Of course, my dad also went there before SB XXV so there's that.

CRUSHED Busch Gardens on spring break in Clearwater one time. Love that park. Badly underrated. Of course, my dad also went there before SB XXV so there's that.

Busch Gardens has the best collection of rides in the state of Florida, and that's compared to Universal and Disney as collectives. The animal attractions are pretty cool too.

Busch Gardens has the best collection of rides in the state of Florida, and that's compared to Universal and Disney as collectives. The animal attractions are pretty cool too.

How about SeaWorld? I'd heard they have the best rides now.

Manta is one of the best rides I've ever been on. Easy.

Manta is one of the best rides I've ever been on. Easy.

I really want to ride their coasters, but sadly, I don't think I'll ever go to Sea World again.

I did like the Incredible Hulk coaster at Universal though.

I hope Disney realizes their boy problem when doing Star Wars. They bought Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm but haven't really used them to attract more boys to the parks.

Back