• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

They gotta get that ROCKET action going.

rocket-crotch.gif

Guardians and Big Hero 6 could be HUGE in the Studios if they do it right. They're apparently having auditions for Hiro and Baymax the main characters from Big Hero 6.

Honestly they're fighting to keep my boys and their friends for the next 10 years.

The dismantling of Hollywood Studios begins on Sunday. The Backlot Tour is closing on Saturday. Other nearby attractions like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, Monsters Inc. meet and greet, and the Studio Catering Company are rumored to be closing in a few weeks.
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2014/09/bye-b...coming-many-current-attractions-closing-soon/

Shame about the playground. My kids love it although its easy to lose them in a few spots. The Catering Company has a great Greek salad that's our go-to meal. The rumor in the link is that it will be part of a Pixar Place expansion starting with the building next to the Toy Story ride turning into expansion of that ride.

All in all, this is good news. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.

In other news, Maelstrom in the Norway pavilion at Epcot is closing in a few weeks to make way for a Frozen themed ride. This is part of one my favorite Disney stories I've heard.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/07/24/frozen-norway-disney-epcot/

Sources tell industry rumor hotbed Screamscape that Maelstrom will soon closeto make way for a ride related to "Frozen." A news report out of Norway details the country's reluctance to continue funding the pavilion, and says that Maelstrom may close as soon as October to make way for the new ride.

The report claims that Disney has offered Norway the opportunity to pay roughly $9 million to update and maintain the pavilion as a promotional platform for the country -- instead of the hit movie.

Disney straight up blackmailed a country.

Cool news about the Norway pavillion. For the Kentucky rubes like me that haven't traveled the world, the Epcot World Pavillion is a great attraction. I remember enjoying the Norway exhibits and store, but being pretty underwhelmed by Maelstrom

I couldn't translate the story linked in the link above. It seemed to me it was saying the Norway pavilion doesn't do Norway justice with a ride about trolls and a crappy video. The Norway pavilion is unique in that it was the last one and it was sponsored by the Norwegian government to market the country to a place that gets more visits per year than Norway itself.
I don't think putting a Frozen ride there is a big deal. The Mexico pavilion has a ride based on a Disney movie, too. Mulan, Belle, Aladdin, Jasmine, Mary Poppins, etc represent their countries/areas.

The pavilions are great for giving kids a taste of different cultures. My sons loved the 360 movie in the Canada pavilion and we could point out to them places we've been.

Last edited:
My 3 yo would say "fuck Norway" in a new york minute if it stood between her and a new Frozen ride.

My 3 yo would say "fuck Norway" in a new york minute if it stood between her and a new Frozen ride.

Yep. And when they start doing Anna/Elsa/Kristoff dinners at the restaurant, it's going to be nuts.

I'm all for Disney finding ways to make bank that don't include raising ticket and food prices.

Norway was one of my favorite Disney things. probably a pretty weird opinion. Always got a kcik out of it b/c my great grandmothers side was Norwegian/Swedish and you don't see much of that, culturally, here in the US

One more thing about Epcot, this is the last week for some of the bands and acts in World Pavilion like Off Kilter and Mo' Rockin'. Haven't heard if they're being replaced or how.

Off Kilter is being replaced by a Canadian lumberjack show. Saw the tree trunks on Saturday during the Food & Wine Festival.

Some more rumors and info about Hollywood Studios. At some point, the name is going to change to Disney's Hollywood Adventure.

The park is going to essentially be three areas.

First, Sunset Blvd that ends with Tower of Terror, Fantasmic, and Rockin' Rollercoaster will be mostly unchanged except a Tangled show may replace Beauty and the Beast eventually.

Second, Pixar Place is going to expand to the back of the park where the Backlot Tour was. The soundstage beside Toy Story Midway Mania may be used for a 3rd track to free up wait times. There's going to be a Toy Story themed kiddie ride area like they have at some of the international parks. Also, they're going to bring Radiator Springs Racers from Cars Land in California, but it will most likely be inside due to the frequent rain in FL. I'm guessing they'll do something about the similarity to Test Track.

Third, the whole left side of the park will be Lucasfilm themed. Basically everything from the front to Star Tours will be Star Wars themed.

The rest is the Frozen stuff which will be continued indefinitely after what we supposed to be a summer stint and the Streets of America primarily for the Festival of Lights. The lights are actually already up.

If you're visiting this week, Toy Story ride is Fastpass+ only.

the norway ride is lame as hell, particularly in relation to the wait

do you subscribe to a Disney podcast or have a daily Disney blog or something?

Two podcasts. One is these four guys who have their own Disney blogs and they talk about things going on at the parks. One of them is the guy who runs TouringPlans.com. He does an interesting review of Disney bars about once a year. The other updates sporadically and features the TouringPlans.com guy and theme park historian who has inside dirt on what's coming up at the parks. The last three podcasts have mostly been about changes coming to Hollywood Studios.

Aside from that, there are different blogs geared toward dads or adults in general that I subscribe to on Facebook that pop up from time to time. Sometimes they have useful new information or simple things like menu updates.

RIP Norway's Maelstrom. The last ship set sail yesterday evening.

I'll always remember you as the last (and best) ride of the day after getting tanked drinking around the world.

Kinda pissed that it was up on Fastpass+ before I went to Epcot on Saturday, but I couldn't book it. But when we got there, it was a 60 minute wait. Oh well, it was only good as something different to do. We go to Epcot more than any other park and probably still only rode it once a year.

was the Norway one the log flume ride?

i vaguely remember it because there was an awesome buffet with a lot of cheese.

A Viking boat ride. Probably the one you're thinking of.

I hope they put more rides in World Showcase. There's a rumor that they are going to put the popular Ratatouille ride from Disneyland Paris into France. Look it up. It's cooler than you'd think.

Last edited:
Back