• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

The week after Thanksgiving is reportedly the least crowded.
Disney will have a couple headliners closed for repair during that time tho.

That is either marathon weekend or the weekend after.

That is the weekend after the marathon. The marathon is January 11. Surprising that they are holding the marathon a week before MLK this year. In the past, it has always been the same weekend.

So our baby is turning 1 this weekend. Brother-in-law has a son turning 1 in January. Wife's parents are taking all of us to Disney to celebrate their 1st birthdays (I know, I know - not a great decision, but these are their first grandkids, so they're doing it and I'm not going to say no). They are deciding between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Beach Club. Animal Kingdom is by far our favorite park, but I do enjoy Epcot at night and would imagine it's way easier not to take buses everywhere from AK if we're going anywhere else.

Thoughts? We've stayed at the Beach Club in the past and loved it, but I hear great things about Animal Kingdom. Plus, AK is going to save the in-laws plenty of cash. If it were just us adults, I would definitely push for AK, but will we regret not being able to walk or take ferries everywhere but Animal Kingdom?

So our baby is turning 1 this weekend. Brother-in-law has a son turning 1 in January. Wife's parents are taking all of us to Disney to celebrate their 1st birthdays (I know, I know - not a great decision, but these are their first grandkids, so they're doing it and I'm not going to say no). They are deciding between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Beach Club. Animal Kingdom is by far our favorite park, but I do enjoy Epcot at night and would imagine it's way easier not to take buses everywhere from AK if we're going anywhere else.

Thoughts? We've stayed at the Beach Club in the past and loved it, but I hear great things about Animal Kingdom. Plus, AK is going to save the in-laws plenty of cash. If it were just us adults, I would definitely push for AK, but will we regret not being able to walk or take ferries everywhere but Animal Kingdom?

tumblr_lioa4xBo9x1qaho1po1_500.gif

beach club is awesome for the pool, the access to EPCOT and the nice walking circuit w/ the yacht club and boardwalk hotels. lots of places to eat nearby.

Talk about pissing your $$$ away...taking babies to WDW.

We did two nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge when my oldest turned 1. It was great. The distance from everything else is a drawback though. I agree Beach Club would be your best bet. Sounds like a couples trip in which the grandparents are volunteering to watch the grandkids while you all do your own thing. Proximity to Epcot is a must for ease and in emergencies.

Talk about pissing your $$$ away...taking babies to WDW.

Babies cost nothing except time. It's easier to take a baby around than a 3 year old you have to pay for and keep from getting into stuff.

Going to the Disney Vero resort next weekend with the in-laws. It's a pretty nice place right on the ocean. Has Disney stuff, lots of supervised activities and a great pool for kids. Nice, cheaper alternative to WDW.

https://verobeach.disney.go.com/

Just back from WDW. No crowds at all to speak of at Animal Kingdom or Sea World. Of course it helped that there was a cold snap this week.

Manta and Everest roller coasters were as good as advertised.:thumbsup:

Manta is the best rollercoaster in Orlando.

Beautiful day at Animal Kingdom yesterday. Low 80s in the afternoon to high 70s in the evening. They're doing a ton of construction for the new Rivers of Life night show, Avatar Land, and a new marketplace in the Africa section. The new marketplace and new Festival of the Lion King show location will result in a huge expansion of that area of the park.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ing-to-harambe-at-disney's-animal-kingdom.htm

One of the cool things about regular trips to Disney World is randomly running into people. Last night at the 6:00 showing of the Festival of the Lion King (best show at WDW by the way), one of my wife's best friends and her family random ended up sitting beside us about 5 minutes into the show. They live on the other side of Orlando and we hadn't seen them in well over a year. I actually ran into her husband and kids a year ago at Magic Kingdom.

Manta is the best rollercoaster in Orlando.

Beautiful day at Animal Kingdom yesterday. Low 80s in the afternoon to high 70s in the evening. They're doing a ton of construction for the new Rivers of Life night show, Avatar Land, and a new marketplace in the Africa section. The new marketplace and new Festival of the Lion King show location will result in a huge expansion of that area of the park.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ing-to-harambe-at-disney's-animal-kingdom.htm

One of the cool things about regular trips to Disney World is randomly running into people. Last night at the 6:00 showing of the Festival of the Lion King (best show at WDW by the way), one of my wife's best friends and her family random ended up sitting beside us about 5 minutes into the show. They live on the other side of Orlando and we hadn't seen them in well over a year. I actually ran into her husband and kids a year ago at Magic Kingdom.

I wish there was a way to ride Manta without going to Sea World. Since I'm not going to Sea World anytime soon, I really enjoyed The Incredible Hulk.

Making the maiden voyage in a couple weeks with 1,3 and 6 yo. Should be an adventure. Staying at Marriott Harbour Lake. Any tips/must-do's this time of year?

Making the maiden voyage in a couple weeks with 1,3 and 6 yo. Should be an adventure. Staying at Marriott Harbour Lake. Any tips/must-do's this time of year?

With those ages, you might seriously consider taking a trip down south to LEGOLAND. It would be out of your way, but it's really built for preschool age kids.

Kind of. There is far less stuff for the 1 year old to do and a shorter 3 year old at Legoland than Disney World. We split up my 2 year old (38") and 5 year old (49") more at Legoland than any Disney park.

Back