• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Looks like I'm going in January for a field hockey tournament. What should I do when I get there ?

Swim in the lagoon ?

Looks like I'm going in January for a field hockey tournament. What should I do when I get there ?

Swim in the lagoon ?

Go on and book dining now if you want to eat on property. There are a lot of good new restaurants at Disney Springs. Beyond that, it depends upon if you have tickets or not and where you are staying.

Lodging options of:

Caribbean Beach Resort $157
Pop Century Resort $101
Sartatoga Springs Resort $241
Wilderness Lodge $218

Games are at ESPN WWoS, so Caribbean and Saratoga are the closest of the nicer ones.

Pop Century is actually the closest but looks pretty dumpy. Anyone have any experience with that one ?

You get what you pay for at Disney. Price is pretty in line with quality. That's a great price for Wilderness Lodge. I'd take that in a heartbeat. It's been over $300 anytime I've looked.

Wilderness is 8 miles from the complex which could take forever on a Disney bus.

So take Uber. Depends on if you want to stay at a nice resort or a motel with pop culture references and a food court.

I'll second the Wilderness Lodge. It is a great resort and that rate is outstanding for it. I'm surprised that Saratoga Springs is closer. Even if it is closer distance wise, it may take longer as you have to travel through all the road construction occurring at Disney to go from the hotel to ESPN. If you are driving your own car, forget the buses and just drive everywhere as you get free parking by staying at a Disney resort.

I have stayed at both Saratoga and the Wilderness Lodge and would pick the Wilderness Lodge every single time. Caribbean Beach is ok as far as resorts, but is undergoing construction right now and I believe their food court area is closed down.

What dates Biff? I may try to do a weekend at Wilderness Lodge for that rate.

What dates Biff? I may try to do a weekend at Wilderness Lodge for that rate.

MLK weekend, but the rate is through the tournament.

Also, we probably won't have a car as we will probably fly. Otherwise I'd definitely drive around WDW.

What dates on the rate?

Looks like prices are more like $250 over MLK weekend. Usually a lot cheaper.

Looks like prices are more like $250 over MLK weekend. Usually a lot cheaper.

That's still a great rate for Wilderness Lodge during a holiday weekend. We were just there last week; I'd definitely take that rate over the other options you listed.

I would also recommend Wilderness Lodge. You can take the ferry from Wilderness Lodge to the Contemporary and hop on the monorail if you want to get around without waiting on buses. May not get you everywhere, but it is an option.

Tell me why I need to go to Animal Kingdom to see Avatar in March. Had not planned to go to Animal Kingdom at all during a 5 day trip, but I am told I need to go and wait in line for several hours just to see Avatar.

Back