• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Disney had a group of 20 journalist tour Galaxy's Edge at DisneyLand recently. I have heard one of those journalist (from Travel + Leisure) give a pair of in-depth interviews in the last week. She said she is a lukewarm Star Wars fan. However, she came out of the preview tour very excited about this land. While they didn't actually get to do the rides, they saw elements of both and she said they are going to be fantastic. Rise of the Resistance has one scene (they saw about 30 percent of this ride) that is in a building larger than Pirates of the Caribbean's entire building.

They have made great strides in the last couple of months to be opening Orlando by the end of August, as they were once so far behind the indications were it would be December 31 when it opened. To now be four months ahead of that schedule means they have been putting in some OT getting it built. Hopefully spring rains don't mess with that date.
Nobody is exacted about Avatar and people love Pandora. Not surprised Galaxy's Edge would win over people who aren't big into Star Wars.

Good thing I have a room booked for November.

Yeah. We booked for November too. Hopefully Rise of the Resistance will be open by then.

Pretty impressive to open two new lands and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (opening this summer) in only 14 months.

LK, did you see our mutual friend booked a hotel for the end of August yesterday without knowing when it was going to open?

Last edited:
I'm unexpectedly staying in the Orlando area for the next 5 days or so. What's the best way to get [cheaper] single-day tickets to a Disney or Universal property?

There are some websites that help you out with that. Not sure about specifics.

Listened to a podcast with a report from someone who went to the Galaxy’s Edge press event at Disneyland. She said people were tearing up when they saw the Millennium Falcon. It looks exactly like you would imagine a real life ship would be.

Probably the same reporter I heard, as I heard the same thing. In one of the interviews I listened to, she spoke repeatedly about how she kept reminding herself to be professional and to stay objective and how hard it was because everything they saw was so good. Finally, at the end, they were taken to see some of the merchandise the land will hold. When she walked in, she unwittingly said "Yep, I'm going to be poor" and only realized she had said it out loud when everyone started laughing. Again, this was from someone who was a lukewarm Star Wars fans before going.

Would Disney have invited anyone with the potential to say something negative?

Would Disney have invited anyone with the potential to say something negative?

You’re asking if they would have invited any Star Wars fans? Yeah.

Ga, I only listened to about half of the podcast so far so that story may come later.

Last edited:
You’re asking if they would have invited any Star Wars fans? Yeah.

Ga, I only listened to about half of the podcast so far so that story may come later.

I mean were the people invited allowed to write objectively or only permitted to say positive things? Hotels and such do this all the time.

I don’t know. She said there were plenty of things she wasn’t told like about crowd control.

I mean were the people invited allowed to write objectively or only permitted to say positive things? Hotels and such do this all the time.

The impression I got from listening to her was that she was allowed to be objective, but without a member of the media stating if they had the freedom or not, we won't know. She did say her job is to critique amusement parks. My impression was Disney knew they had hit a home run (which is how she described it) and wanted to allow people to see the park to start generating buzz ahead of the opening announcement.

Listening to the rest of the podcast now. The most interesting thing so far is that the the queue area for the Millennium Falcon ride is where the holochess table is. So you're hanging out in the Falcon waiting to fly it. The vast majority of the ride is dynamic and responds to your commands. You can't crash it, but you can do really poorly or really well. The blue milk is a smoothie. The cantina is small. It's bigger than La Cava in Epcot (Mexico), but not big. They're selling "legacy lightsabers" that are their response to the wands at Harry Potter. Yeah, it's the same woman GaDeac heard. The "I'm going to be poor" line was her reaction to the droid store. She describes herself as a "middling Star Wars fan." You can carry the droid in a backpack and it reacts to things going on in the land. There was some other stuff, but man, I don't know how they're going to get people to leave this place.

I don't doubt it'll be great, I just take any of these preview events with journalists with a huge grain of salt

LK, did you see our mutual friend booked a hotel for the end of August yesterday without knowing when it was going to open?

I did, and I think she had a bit of insider knowledge that something was coming.

Or the fact that she literally is there at least once a month meant her odds were good of landing it lol.

i heard that same podcast. they're designing Rise of the Resistance for a 5-hour wait. there is no ride on earth that is worth wasting 5 hours of my life standing in line.

I’ve talked to people who waited 5 hours for Flight of Passage right after the ride and they’ve said it’s worth it. Throw a few movies on your phone and check out the interactive stuff in the queue and you should be fine.

It is nuts that you could fly from one side of the country to another in the time it takes to ride Flight of Passage. And sometimes for the same price as an AK ticket and dinner at Tusker House.

Back