• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

$400-600 a year is more than a nuisance for a lot of people. Gotta think a lot of out of state AP holders will scale back to one trip a year. The out of state pass is $1,299.

Agreed this is significant to many, but Disney has done the modeling and must have determined they'll get a more affluent annual passholder base with more propensity to spend in park on each visit and won't have a problem filling the parks by shifting their attendance more toward (more profitable) daily tickets. They basically got a free pass to test demand without annual passes in the last year and I was surprised they brought back annual passes at all.

If Disney continues to invest in the parks like they have been leading up to the 50th anniversary, I see the price of APs continuing to grow. If they don't get serious about replacing/modernizing rides though, I agree Universal and potentially others pose a big threat. The incoming generation of parents will be the best traveled, and once you've been to Shanghai or Tokyo Disney some of the US versions lose a lot of their appeal (Pirates in Shanghai or Winnie the Pooh in Tokyo are best examples, but even the queue for Tokyo's Tower of Terror is miles ahead). Rethemings like Splash Mountain to Princess & the Frog don't count - I can think of at least a handful of rides across WDW that should have been demolished years ago. Figment top of mind.

Agreed this is significant to many, but Disney has done the modeling and must have determined they'll get a more affluent annual passholder base with more propensity to spend in park on each visit and won't have a problem filling the parks by shifting their attendance more toward (more profitable) daily tickets. They basically got a free pass to test demand without annual passes in the last year and I was surprised they brought back annual passes at all.

If Disney continues to invest in the parks like they have been leading up to the 50th anniversary, I see the price of APs continuing to grow. If they don't get serious about replacing/modernizing rides though, I agree Universal and potentially others pose a big threat. The incoming generation of parents will be the best traveled, and once you've been to Shanghai or Tokyo Disney some of the US versions lose a lot of their appeal (Pirates in Shanghai or Winnie the Pooh in Tokyo are best examples, but even the queue for Tokyo's Tower of Terror is miles ahead). Rethemings like Splash Mountain to Princess & the Frog don't count - I can think of at least a handful of rides across WDW that should have been demolished years ago. Figment top of mind.

Figment blows.

My kids loved Carousel of Progress though.

Figment top of mind.

F1PK2Oj.gif

I wish they'd bring back Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

I think it's still at Disneyland, but Pooh's Blustery Day is pretty great.

Bym being a figment guy is about the least surprising revelation in board history.

I’d be shocked if Disney keeps up the 50th anniversary pace. The shareholders need their pound of flesh.

My oldest loves figment. The character more than the ride. I like COP for the AC and get out of the rain.

Disney needs more thrill rides. 7 dwarves could have been much more exciting.

Disney needs more thrill rides. 7 dwarves could have been much more exciting.

Agreed, and even Expedition Everest was a bit of a whiff considering it's price tag. Tron will be a nice addition though. Animal Kingdom could easily add another one or two with land availability, would be cool to see what they could do with Luca to bring in some current IP. Plenty of land they could redevelop at Hollywood between the lake & Indiana Jones for another one there too.

Wonder if the Marvel licensing deal is impacting their willingness to spend big bucks on thrill rides in Orlando. Can't imagine Comcast lets go of that just for the ability to annoy Disney alone.

From what I've heard, Epcot sells about $500,000 of Figment merchandise a year. That's the main reason they won't change the ride. The Inside Out rumors died down a few years ago.

Disney definitely needs more thrill rides. Velocicoaster and Hagrids at Islands of Adventure are two of the best coasters out there. There are plenty of good rides out there with a 48" height requirement for Disney to emulate. Slinky Dog is an excellent family coaster for example. I hope Guardians of the Galaxy will be a good ride. From what I've seen, it's somewhat similar to Escape from Gringotts at Universal.

Disney miscalculated with the whole New Fantasyland concept. Just a lot of bad bets all around. Magic Kingdom didn't need another kiddie coaster. They needed another Space Mountain level ride. They didn't need another omnimover in The Little Mermaid either.

Disney miscalculated with the whole New Fantasyland concept. Just a lot of bad bets all around. Magic Kingdom didn't need another kiddie coaster. They needed another Space Mountain level ride. They didn't need another omnimover in The Little Mermaid either.

Not to be a Disney apologist, but the time I got stuck on The Little Mermaid was one of the best times I've had at Disney.

The fact that I was singing along made it one of my kid's worst times.

The best place I’ve gotten stuck is the Star Destroyer hangar in Rise of the Resistance. We got to walk around and we could see which stormtroopers moved and how. It’s one of the coolest spaces at Disney World and you’re typically rushed through.

We get stuck on Spaceship earth EVERY TIME. Only once did we have to evacuate, however. Our favorite ride at Disneyland was the Incredicoaster which would be a nice addition to one of the Disney World parks.

The original plan for AK Dinoland included a huge sweeping wooden coaster called the Excavator or something like that. Could have been sweet.

Ok, gonna show my star wars nerdom here- will Disney bring back the Build A Droid 3 3/4" Factory if/when COVID ever ends?

Looking to go to the House of Mouse in December. Fun to make the little droids and easy to travel.

I stayed at a budget on park resort(PopCentury) for 5 nights and had single park tickets for four days and I could've taken my entire family to Europe for 10 days for significantly less money. It has become almost prohibitively expensive for regular folk.

this

I’ll probably be checking back here a few times over the best couple months - wife and I are taking the kids in late Jan. It’ll be 3.5 yo kid and almost 1 yo kid

Staying at Gaylord Palms - so question is how prevalent are transportation options for small children to get to Disney parks when staying offsite? Obviously I’ll check with hotel, but does anyone know if Disney shuttles would have car seats? How about Uber/Lyft - any difficulty getting those that would have car seats? Would be great to avoid having to rent a big vehicle

You might want to rent a vehicle if you're going to be having to go back and forth with an infant for naps. It can take a while to get in and out of there. I would just roll with whatever the hotel offers though.

I think I mentioned on the Chat Thread that we had a good time on our recent trip.

Ratatouille ride was kind of meh. We had some skip the line options one day and I wouldn't want to wait for that ride. They have a virtual queue to keep the line down, but it fills up early in the day, so if you want to ride that ride, you need to sign up by 1:00 on the weekend probably.

Loved Galaxy's Edge. Just amazing execution on the design of the exterior. Rise of the Resistance was incredible, especially if you've played the Star Wars Battlefront game a couple of times. I observed wait times of two hours first thing on Sunday morning. Smugglers Run is pretty cool too. We did the single rider once and wound up with a lame task but got to see the ride. Rode it again as pilots and gunners.

Pandora ride and Expedition Everest rides are still great.

Got some intel that Tower of Terror has four different randomized sequences. We got one that wasn't as terrifying as past rides and I thought they might have made it more tame, but was persuaded otherwise.

Back