• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

I'm all for the magic of Disney and all that shit, but threads like this kind of make me dread taking the kids to Disney World. It just seems like an enormous amount of meticulous planning and prep work. If I could go and just ride some rides and see Gepetto's woodshop or whatever, awesome. But having to make meal reservations by calling at exactly 7:30 am on a day 6 months in advance and mapping out an entire multi-day strategy of what rides to ride where and when totally blows.

I'm the same way as far as hating to need to plan every detail in advance. When we went in early December (key, because it was not crowded), we didn't do any of the BS themed dinners and none of the formal character meetings because my son didn't really care. He just wanted to do the rides. And if you get at each park at the start of each day, you're going to be able to ride whatever rides you want without worrying much, especially with FastPasses.

We had a blast.

logo-epcot.gif

all I know is that I have several friends from out west who insist that DL is better than WDW because Walt himself designed it. "his own touches are there." I counter that WDW is so big Walt DIED before they were close to finishing.

I've heard that people out west call WDW Roy's park after Walt's brother.

I agree with the above about Epcot. Celebration is a planned community that I think is supposed to build on Walt's vision.

My wife and all her friends are Disneyland kids, and every time each makes her first trip to Disney World, she never tries to make the Land > World argument again. It's pretty funny.

I look forward to going to Disneyland one day. But let's face it. Disneyland is the size of Epcot. One of four parks.

Disneyland is what Walt could do. Disney World is what he wanted to do.

I'm all for the magic of Disney and all that shit, but threads like this kind of make me dread taking the kids to Disney World. It just seems like an enormous amount of meticulous planning and prep work. If I could go and just ride some rides and see Gepetto's woodshop or whatever, awesome. But having to make meal reservations by calling at exactly 7:30 am on a day 6 months in advance and mapping out an entire multi-day strategy of what rides to ride where and when totally blows.

Sounds like wifey duties to me. You just gotta be Moneybags.

my sister planned out our last visit and had some other app to optimize when we should go to each ride. made it easy as we never had to debate which ride to ride next.

meh, unless you can afford to multiple trips to WDW when your kids are growing up, a trip down there is too expensive/expansive to NOT plan a little. Which I don't think is any different than other vacations. You owe it to yourself to plan or you'll end up wasting time, money and energy no matter where you go, unless it's just an all-inclusive veg-out type trip (sandals or whatever you leeching baby boomers do for fun)

I'm a big fan of technology. I mean, it gave us the Fleshlight for chrissakes. If it's easy to get around and make all these Disney World plans, that's awesome, because I will no doubt be going there in the future. I'm no curmudgeon when it comes to Disney, I just primarily don't like the idea of having to decide exactly when and where I want to eat my meals months and months in advance. I tend to prefer to go with the flow on vacation. But, that was also a pre-2 kids mindset, so I'm adjusting to the new reality.

I'm a big fan of technology. I mean, it gave us the Fleshlight for chrissakes. If it's easy to get around and make all these Disney World plans, that's awesome, because I will no doubt be going there in the future. I'm no curmudgeon when it comes to Disney, I just primarily don't like the idea of having to decide exactly when and where I want to eat my meals months and months in advance. I tend to prefer to go with the flow on vacation. But, that was also a pre-2 kids mindset, so I'm adjusting to the new reality.

As long as they aren't opposed to eating hot dogs from a kiosk every day, you really don't have to make reservations. I think the best way to go is to probably stay at one of the resorts, and just go back to the room for a few hours mid-day to eat lunch, get out of the sun, avoid crowds, and rest a little.

As long as they aren't opposed to eating hot dogs from a kiosk every day, you really don't have to make reservations. I think the best way to go is to probably stay at one of the resorts, and just go back to the room for a few hours mid-day to eat lunch, get out of the sun, avoid crowds, and rest a little.

That's what we did, minus the hot dog kiosks. Stayed at Art of Animation (Cars-themed suites blew my son's mind), went to the park as it opened, brought our own breakfasts in the form of muffins and fruit, found a place that wasn't much of a wait at a sit-down place and ate lunch, went back to the room at about 2 to rest, either hung out at the hotel pool or went back to a park that night. I'm very go-with-the-flow, so it worked really well for us. You only really have to do the crazy planning if you're wanting to do the character meals. Luckily, my son gave no shits about that.

Eventhough I have not been back since around 2000, I do remember having to plan out meals early. For instance, if you're at Studios in the morning, you better go to the restaurant first to get ressie where you want to eat. My sister and I always wanted the Sci-Fi drive in place or Mom's.

Back