• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Alright, so when we go to Florida for a couple weeks this summer we've decided to do a day at one of the theme parks. We did the Disney thing last summer, and I have a 4 and 7 year old so Universal parks aren't really a great option. Right now we have a Hilton package with Sea World tix for everyone for about 400. This seem like the best way to do Orlando for a day with these ages, or do y'all have other suggestions? How is Legoland?

Legoland is great for those ages. If they like Lego at all, it’s perfect. And they have a new Peppa Pig park too.

I know it's not helpful for tonight, but keep checking for dinner rezzies throughout the day/evening on the night prior to when you'd want to eat out too.. lots of people cancel before they hit the 24 hr mark and would get dinged/charged for not showing up.

Oh, that’s good to know. We didn’t make any rezzies before we came (my wife is a rockstar and took care of everything with this trip, but this is literally the only thing that fell through the cracks), so I’ll do that for Friday and Saturday. Thursday night we managed to snag a spot at the Rick Bayless restaurant.

I assume you're not staying on property or are at a park tonight because there are plenty of dining options that don't require a reservation. Even if you want a nice sit down, just check the app and there should be something available somewhere, especially at Disney Springs.

We’re staying at the Riviera, which has been cool, but we just went with the layup that is Uber Eats. But we did dessert from a couple of the places here, which was nice. And we’ll grab some food tonight when we go back to the MK.

The Riviera has a nice walk-up dining area that doesn't require reservations, at least it didn't last time I was there in 2020.

i am dying to hear someone's experience in the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser - Immersive Adventure Hotel

anyone pony up the crazy $ yet?

There are plenty of blogs, videos, and podcasts out there. People who did it love it.

Bumped for CapeCod to check out the Universal advice.

headed to Orlando in December for a few nights with kids 4 and 7. If i did two days of parks what would be the best? Hollywood and AK? 7yo right now is 45 inches tall.

At 4 and 7? Magic Kingdom has to be one.

I'd probably say Hollywood as the other if they're remotely Star Wars fans.

Are 4 and 7 year olds actually Star Wars fans ? Those Star Wars rides can be a little scary for a little kid too.

I'd throw in Epcot if they're really into Nemo or Ratatouille.

It sounds like you're trying to avoid buying park hopper passes.

Are 4 and 7 year olds actually Star Wars fans ? Those Star Wars rides can be a little scary for a little kid too.

I was when I was 4. I was terrified of Darth Vader though. I think the 7yo would be fine at Rise of the Rebellion.

ha not trying to do anything just get some advice, if park hopper pass is a recommendation we can do that. We are going to be there for 3 days so thinking 2 days at parks.

I think the best way to do it is to stay at a Disney resort and get up early go to whatever park has Magic Hours. There's stuff for little kids at every park, but especially at MK.

How tall are your kids? A tall 4 year old can ride almost every ride in the parks.

Based on what you've posted, you might do better doing two days at Magic Kingdom so you don't have to try and do everything in one day.

There is something at every park for 4 and 7. So part of me says make sure you do a park that has something the parents want and be aware of times. I think epcot is great for kids, but I wouldn't want to be in world showcase when the Drink around the world crowd is full on in the back end of the day.

Animal kingdom as a petting zoo and the safari works and if you like coasters, everest is back up..

But like the idea of staying on property for extra hours (less crowded and worth it). also if one of the kids melts down or a parent melts down, disney transport back to the resort and other child and parent keep going.

Don't waste your money on a park hopper, just buy a third day if you're looking to spend that money and aren't hugely time constrained. Also wouldn't advise trying to do the parks from open to close, it's tough on adults and really wears you down with kids. Take a break during/after lunch time to recover and avoid the peak heat/crowds.

My 4 year old (with an annual pass) probably likes Hollywood Studios most right now, but he's always changing his mind. EPCOT isn't really that bad with evening drinking other than it can get congested on busy nights. AK is kind of a half day park in general unless you go all in on the zoo parts, but it's finally bringing back the full shows and character experiences which make it a little better.

Current favorites
Magic Kingdom: Mine train (get in line just before fireworks start if you can), Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, Monsters Laugh Floor, Dumbo playground
Hollywood Studios: Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Mania, Disney Jr Dance Party, Frozen Sing Along
EPCOT: Three Caballeros, Kidcot Showcase cards, Club Cool, video games after Spaceship Earth exit, playground
Animal Kingdom: Boneyard, Safari, Rapids

Current hot or cold
Magic Kingdom: Astro Orbiter (terrible ride but kids somehow like it), Peter Pan (overrated), It's a Small World
Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror (loves it after he rides), Rise of Resistance, Lightning McQueen
EPCOT: Guardians of the Galaxy (preshow scares him, music too loud), Nemo (aging out)
AK: Kite tails

Current irrational fears/dislikes
MK: Dumbo ride
Hollywood: Star Tours, Mickey & Minnie's Railway (too loud)
Epcot: Frozen Ever After, Remy (heat and water splashing effects), harmonious fireworks show
AK: It's tough to be a bug

I'd recommend staying at a Disney resort because then you can get up early, hit up some rides, go back to your room and crash for a few hours, and then come back to the park later in the day. That was a winning strategy for us.

FYCPvjgWYAMu1lX

FYCQAjmX0AYOy9r

I'm trying to figure out how $2.70/hr in 1960 which is around $27/hr today comes out to over $40/hr. I'm also trying to figure out how they define "family outing" that comes out to over $1000. Parking, four tickets, and food in a theme park doesn't run that much even if you include buying the Disneyland version of Genie.

It's misleading in a number of ways. It makes it look like an "average" family can just work half a week and afford a trip to Disney.

Parking costs have exploded which is ridiculous. For most theme parks, there's no competition, no other place to park and walk. But usually the expenses help annual passes that include parking. But usually that built in parking costs is basically like paying for parking 1 or 2 times and getting it free the rest of the year.

Here's a tip - Keep your head on a swivel when approaching Mickey's PhilharMagic theater...

Back