• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman/Selection Committee Selfie

Here's one: It's an ugly word that should certainly not be used publicly. If friends and family members who are gay are comfortable being addressed that way then so be it, but that's completely different from using it as an insult towards a stranger in a public setting.

Even anyone ever calls me a faggot then I'm done with them. It's an ugly, nasty word.

Fair enough.

Weird Science was on HBO a few months back. I had forgotten about this scene. I thought, holy crap, they'd never write that into a movie anymore.

Well... This is certainly not what I expected when I opened the thread.

The selfie is officially a dying fad. If Ron Wellman and my mom are doing it, it's days of popularity are numbered.

Whenever people say, "but comedians say…" I laugh out loud and think of this:

This is what you look like. You're not Chris Rock, or Louis CK, or Ricky Gervais. Until you can pack Madison Square Garden on any given weekend leave edgy comedy to professional comedians. Honestly, in reality, your probably not as funny as you think you are.

Full disclosure, I was a big fan of the word all throughout high school. It wasn't until I was in college and meet openly gay people and realized how the word made them feel ostracized and targeted, regardless of my intentions, did I gain some sense of perspective and empathy. Old habits can die hard but I genuinely try and be respectful of others. And no, getting rid of the word is not putting you out. You're not being "persecuted by lib PC Police"; You won't feel "reverse discriminated against" or become a victim of reverse heterophobia or some bullshit. It literally requires no effort. Fuck, I'm sure being "jewed" was pretty pervasive slang back in the day, and that appears to be dyeing out and I don't see anyone hurt by that.

People love talking about freedom, but the old caveat goes, your freedom ends at my doorstop. In your quest for ultimate freedom just be respectful of other peoples quest as well. No one is saying you can't say it, just asking you to stop out of respect for others. Really all you have to do is just grow the fuck up. that's all. no big deal

Just to kind of piggy back off of Zq here... I have a gay brother and have called him a faggot before. He would be pissed at the overreaction on this thread. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the gay posters on here.

And conversely, I have a gay sister who would be quite offended at its use. So I can play the anecdotal game too!

Dv7: You could have typed "the n word" instead of actually typing it out. Using the most offensive word there is kind of blunts the thrust of your point.

I was referring to butthurt as the word popularized 4 years ago. That's why I put my comment in parentheses right after I quoted your usage of "butthurt", slick. I'm sad to see that your simple mind couldn't follow along there. Unfortunate.

And great anecdotal story (that may or may not be true) about gay guys that you call faggots and you all laugh about it. Do you have black friends that you call nigger as well? Do they laugh? Any Hispanic friends around that you spit racial epithets towards them and laugh about it?
You're a simple-minded twat if you really speak that way. In short, go fuck yourself for being such a ignorant cunt.

And yeah, in America you have the right to be a bigoted fuck. But that still makes you a bigoted fuck.

youre-a-cunt-hahahahahahahaha.jpg

Just misread the thread title as "Ron Wellman/Search Committee Selfie" and got a little excited.

My sister is gay. I never heard her use the word or any of her friends. I have never used this word and until today it has been quite some time since I have heard anyone use this word. I just think it is antiquated and see no purpose for its use like most people, but this is still America.

amusing when some of the board assholes (cocksuckers, cunts, pick the insult) crawl up on the cross over something

It really is. There are so many other things on this board that I assume would be more offensive to gay men: the bbd tags, all the sexual Bz/Wellman relationship jokes, and comments making fun of something gay followed by a "NTTAWT". If he would have said "who is that cocksucker kissing the Creighton dude's head?", wouldn't that be equally offensive to gay posters?

Eh, I don't know. If anything is the homosexual equivilant to the N word is probably that F word.

Its definitely one of those words that makes you cringe if you hear it spoken.

Eh, I don't know. If anything is the homosexual equivilant to the N word is probably that F word.

Its definitely one of those words that makes you cringe if you hear it spoken.

Absolutely. And the defense of using the F-word is remarkably similar to arguments frequently made about the N-word.

If someone dropped the n-word on a thread, there would be universal condemnation and probably an instant permaban. Why is the F-word different again?

Back