• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

The A-10 may do well in terms of bids this year but there's zero question the ACC will be the dominant hoops conference for the foreseeable future. Now whether that is a reason to come to Wake or stay away is a different question.

I think the Joel should be updated and made more WF friendly. Also, add some Club areas to increase interest, make more modern, add revenue, which would likely reduce some seating. Since we now own it, we have to care about money to maintain and operate. Such as, have a venue to attract events like the prior CIAA tourney, etc. It's now a business for us. But, WF BB first.

That should be a selling point. The ACC projects to be the premier basketball conference for years to come and entrez into a good, capable program won't come around often. Not to mention that, if there's any credence that Shaka would prefer a smaller, academic environment with an athletics pedigree, his options are limited to Wake, Duke, and UVA (ND?). Only one of those jobs is open at this pivotal time.

Some of you guys are so dumb. If we get a new coach - even though our current one has another year to go - it's going to be, like - Tommy Amaker.

That should be a selling point. The ACC projects to be the premier basketball conference for years to come and entrez into a good, capable program won't come around often. Not to mention that, if there's any credence that Shaka would prefer a smaller, academic environment with an athletics pedigree, his options are limited to Wake, Duke, and UVA (ND?). Only one of those jobs is open at this pivotal time.

Wake, Duke, and UVA = smaller? One of those options doesn't fit with the other two.

I imagine most of us care little about style of play if we win.. I'd take Bennett in a heart beat and their style is somewhat painful to watch

I agree, but it isn't the money with Shaka. I just think he is in the mold of Mark Few and wants to be the guy that built it and stay for 30 years. And he's getting paid well and recruiting just fine. Better than most ACC schools not in the triangle.

It's all just opinion, but I think you're completely wrong about both. Neither of those guys will retire at their current schools. They may not move this year but they will move.

Some of you guys are so dumb. If we get a new coach - even though our current one has another year to go - it's going to be, like - Tommy Amaker.

You are calling other people dumb and you still think it is possible Bzzz will be retained next year?

I think the Joel should be updated and made more WF friendly. Also, add some Club areas to increase interest, make more modern, add revenue, which would likely reduce some seating. Since we now own it, we have to care about money to maintain and operate. Such as, have a venue to attract events like the prior CIAA tourney, etc. It's now a business for us. But, WF BB first.

I've heard this was Wake's plan all along after buying the Joel.

I imagine most of us care little about style of play if we win.. I'd take Bennett in a heart beat and their style is somewhat painful to watch

I don't get why people don't like to watch great defense being played. It's like Bilas said yesterday, if you didn't like the UVA/Pitt game, you don't like basketball.

Other leagues are getting stronger. The A-10 will inevitably lose top coaches and their TV presence will continue to wane. If Shaka leaves, it will hurt them even more.

Getting Davidson is a huge yawn. The only reason Davidson has been relevant in the past forty years was lucking out to get Steph Curry. It's the only time since 1970 they won a game in the NCAAT. They are as close to nobody school as you can get.

Ridiculous statement.

Davidson has had a very strong program since McKillop took over in the early 90's. The have dominated the SoCon before, during, & after Steph Curry. They get national exposure by regularly playing one of the toughest OOC schedules. In the last 3 seasons they have beaten Kansas, WVU, Georgia & Vandy & played other high profile programs like Wichita St, UNC, Gonzaga & Duke. The have been made a postseason tourney for 8 of the past 9 years. While they may not have won an NCAA tourney game w/out Steph, they usually play well against a heavyweight opponent (4 seed or higher) and are almost always competitive. They lost to Marquette by 1 last year & to Louisville by 7 the year before. I'm pretty sure the major conference coaches know about Davidson & don't look forward to seeing them as their 1st round opponent.

Also Davidson has a rich basketball history, particularly with ties to ACC coaches. Terry Holland played, coached & AD. Lefty Driessel, Rick Barnes, & Jim Larranaga also coached there (not to mention our own Bz)

Certainly not a nobody school. They will be immediately competitive in the A-10 which will continue to be one of the top mid major conferences. The A-10 has & will continue to lose coaches to major conference schools but it also has & likely will to continue to attract quality replacements if for no other reason that it's a proven pathway to a major conference job. During it's time in the A-10, XU replaced Skip w/ Matta, w/ Miller, w/ Mack & Dayton replaced Purnell w/ Gregory, w/ Miller.

Who cares if you are "competitive"? In over forty years, they have not won a single NCAAT game other than the year with Steph.

Who cares if they dominated a terrible conference to reach The Dance? That's nothing.

The only things anyone outside of NC knows about Davidson are Steph and that they always lose in the NCAAT.

lol rj. every teams except one always loses in the ncaa tournament.

Yeah, like every team in the A-10 is tearing up the NCAA tournament on a yearly basis.

Who cares if you are "competitive"? In over forty years, they have not won a single NCAAT game other than the year with Steph.

Who cares if they dominated a terrible conference to reach The Dance? That's nothing.

The only things anyone outside of NC knows about Davidson are Steph and that they always lose in the NCAAT.

Gotta agree with RJ here. Davidson doesnt do much for the A10. ACC will be THE conference. Questions are does Shaka want to coach in the premiere bball conference; and does he want to do that at Wake.

They are peaking again in February and March? I mean that may be true (I don't know their W/L record the past few years in Feb/March), but they've won one NCAA game each of the past two years since the Final Four run. If they win 0 or 1 game again this year, I imagine Shaka gets frustrated.

Check the facts:

Final 4 and 2 Sweet Sixteens in the last 3 years. If I recall, they were a missed shot at the buzzer from a Final 8 last year.

2010–11 VCU 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 VCU 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA Third Round
2012–13 VCU 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Third Round
2013–14 VCU 24–7 12–4 2nd

Back