• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

Check the facts:

Final 4 and 2 Sweet Sixteens in the last 3 years. If I recall, they were a missed shot at the buzzer from a Final 8 last year.

2010–11 VCU 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 VCU 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA Third Round
2012–13 VCU 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Third Round
2013–14 VCU 24–7 12–4 2nd

That's a naming convention thing though right? First round are the play-in games so the third round is simply round of 32 I believe.

Couple minutes late there. 88Deac really fucking loves VCU basketball.

Shaka getting some national attention on CBS now, playing St. Joe...

1 FF and 2 SS's is 8-3 in the NCAAT. Add a couple conference championships and finals. They've got more nets than we've got.

1 FF and 2 SS's is 8-3 in the NCAAT. Add a couple conference championships and finals. They've got more nets than we've got.

So you're just going to ignore the posts saying they didn't actually make the Sweet16?

From talking to other VCU fans (not source, just normal people) they seem more concerned with a program like Wake stealing Shaka than a big ass state school, we just seem more his style

Although, wouldn't be surprised if after seeing Brad Stevens offer last year if he just holds out for Duke, UNC or the NBA at this point

Check the facts:

Final 4 and 2 Sweet Sixteens in the last 3 years. If I recall, they were a missed shot at the buzzer from a Final 8 last year.

2010–11 VCU 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 VCU 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA Third Round
2012–13 VCU 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Third Round
2013–14 VCU 24–7 12–4 2nd

When they got beat by Michigan by 25 in the Round of 32?

This 88 cat must be drinking the Ram kool aid..no doubt Shaka rocks..but don't let facts stand in your way..

You're right. Forgot about the "1st Round" play-in. Was also thinking of 2 years ago losing to Indiana in the 4-5 game at the buzzer. My fault.

Wake can pay Shaka more than VCU. Wake is a better job than VCU.

VCU is a mediocre state school. They don't have the wealthy alums that Wake has. They'll have one or two, but I promise that if Wake had the kind of success Shaka had over the past few years, we wouldn't need to raise $10M from the students to build a new practice facility. Just look what happened with Deacon Tower. Or with the strength facility.

I'm admittedly a bit of a fan of Davidson and sure, the A-10 will do more for Davidson than it for the A-10. I will say that they are one of the best coached teams year in year out and they are a well respected program, i certainly wouldnt feel too comfortable as an A-10 coach having to go play in that loud little gym every year. But of course they will never be a "powerhouse" or anything like that.

I still think most of the ACC needs to get its act together before we can be so certain it will be the best conference for the foreseeable future. Look at GT, state, Vt, us. ND is pretty terrible right now. Who's to say there won't be more realignment? What will happen to cuse when boheim retires. What will a K-less duke really look like. Pitino? Still a lot of questions beyond the next 2-3 years.

Wake can pay Shaka more than VCU. Wake is a better job than VCU.

VCU is a mediocre state school. They don't have the wealthy alums that Wake has. They'll have one or two, but I promise that if Wake had the kind of success Shaka had over the past few years, we wouldn't need to raise $10M from the students to build a new practice facility. Just look what happened with Deacon Tower. Or with the strength facility.

Much of VCU's fundraising has been corporate money. If you look at the way the school is taking over the city, they clearly are not hurting for money.

The only thing making the Wake job better than VCU at the moment is the conference.

Much of VCU's fundraising has been corporate money. If you look at the way the school is taking over the city, they clearly are not hurting for money.

The only thing making the Wake job better than VCU at the moment is the conference.

If they aren't hurting for money then they wouldn't have had to assess a student fee to pay for the new facility. My initial reaction to the facility was negative, but the details are quite the opposite imo. All Ron has to do is point to the Deacon Tower, "See that? No student fees. No politics. I just get shit done." And, then bring in the press clippings of the $10M donated to the football program, "This guy hasn't even coached a game yet!".

No, not worried about VCU's money one bit.

If they aren't hurting for money then they wouldn't have had to assess a student fee to pay for the new facility. My initial reaction to the facility was negative, but the details are quite the opposite imo. All Ron has to do is point to the Deacon Tower, "See that? No student fees. No politics. I just get shit done." And, then bring in the press clippings of the $10M donated to the football program, "This guy hasn't even coached a game yet!".

No, not worried about VCU's money one bit.

Problem, Wellman is a douche and laughing stock among his peers the last four years! Not to mention the fan base...

I mean, you may not be worried but the numbers say otherwise.

Big gifts are certainly helpful. Having over 30,000 students helps as well. VCU is hardly hurting for a donor base, corporate and otherwise. They've pretty much done everything Shaka has requested.

If Wake comes in with an offer I wouldn't be surprised to see it leveraged into a raise.

Back