• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

I mean, you may not be worried but the numbers say otherwise.

Big gifts are certainly helpful. Having over 30,000 students helps as well. VCU is hardly hurting for a donor base, corporate and otherwise. They've pretty much done everything Shaka has requested.

If Wake comes in with an offer I wouldn't be surprised to see it leveraged into a raise.

No, the numbers actually support me. Again, $10M student fee.

You realize that's a completely legitimate way to raise money, right?

Point being, you can do that at a big school like VCU and it won't really hurt all that much in the grand scheme of things. Which is why there are arguments for a big school being able to "make shit happen" to the same extent that Wake can, maybe with even more flexibility.

Regardless, I don't think the guy's coming when you consider how much VCU has done for him in the past year. His recruiting has been good too.

Last edited:
You realize that's a completely legitimate way to raise money, right?

Of course, I also view it as drastically inferior to donations and speaks pretty strongly to the ability of the AD to raise funds.

Tangentially relevant: VCU lost today.

Problem, Wellman is a douche and laughing stock among his peers the last four years! Not to mention the fan base...

Just because our fanbase has that opinion does not mean other athletic directors and coaches think that. Fans view keeping Bz as being stupid, potential coaches view keeping Bz that long as job stability.

I mean, you may not be worried but the numbers say otherwise.

Big gifts are certainly helpful. Having over 30,000 students helps as well. VCU is hardly hurting for a donor base, corporate and otherwise. They've pretty much done everything Shaka has requested.

If Wake comes in with an offer I wouldn't be surprised to see it leveraged into a raise.

That's been my assumption all along. Hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

That's just part of the business. We can't be afraid to fail.

I don't see what Wake has to lose by making a serious offer to Shaka. If he uses the offer to extort more money out of VCU, then good for him. We'll just move on to the next candidate on the list.

If they aren't hurting for money then they wouldn't have had to assess a student fee to pay for the new facility. My initial reaction to the facility was negative, but the details are quite the opposite imo. All Ron has to do is point to the Deacon Tower, "See that? No student fees. No politics. I just get shit done." And, then bring in the press clippings of the $10M donated to the football program, "This guy hasn't even coached a game yet!".

No, not worried about VCU's money one bit.

I'm not worried about competing with VCU's $$. I'm worried that his Premiership is going to make a mediocre to poor hire and not go after Shaka or Marshall.

I'm not worried about competing with VCU's $$. I'm worried that his Premiership is going to make a mediocre to poor hire and not go after Shaka or Marshall.

Don't worry about that b/c I can guarantee that is exactly what will happen.

There will be huge outrage if they offer him $3M/year. Because they are part of the state university system, there will be a push to have to pay Bennett similarly. The price of the next coach VT will also feel such an offer to Shaka.

Wake operates completely in a vacuum. VCU doesn't.

It's amazing how someone on the other side of the country is so knowledgeable about the inner workings of a midmajor school that wasn't on anyone's radar up until 5 years ago.

Nobody would bat an eye at Shaka making big money, especially in Richmond. It also helps that he's in a state that isn't run like a circus (Oh hey, California) and could probably handle a salary increase for the biggest recruiting force at its biggest in state institution.

Not all that critical but George Mason is still a couple thousand students bigger than VCU according to their Wikipedia pages.

Not all that critical but George Mason is still a couple thousand students bigger than VCU according to their Wikipedia pages.

They couldn't keep their Final Four coach when an ACC team came calling.

It's amazing how someone on the other side of the country is so knowledgeable about the inner workings of a midmajor school that wasn't on anyone's radar up until 5 years ago.

I only want to point out that VCU has actually been pretty good for 10 years now under 3 different coaches. Recall our 2003-04 team with a freshman CP3 (barely) beat VCU in the 1st round of the NCAAT.

Oh I remember. Capel's VCU teams were good.

That Duke victory and Eric Maynor pretty much put them on the map in terms of national recognition though.

They couldn't keep their Final Four coach when an ACC team came calling.

jimlmiami1.gif

Back