• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

Shaka could absolutely be looking for a specific fit. Small college background with rigorous academics. The jobs he turned down all are large, public schools. UCLA is as high pressure as you can get. NC State has a delusional fan base that will think you are failing unless you are on par with Duke and Carolina, which we all know will never happen. Minnesota is one of the toughest jobs in the Big 10. We offer a totally different environment than any of these schools and we have a rich hoops tradition. He knows good and well that at Wake he can compete at the highest level. Final 4's and national titles are feasible here.

Think of Chris Petersen at Boise State. How many high profile jobs did he turn down before accepting Washington? It was certainly not the "best" football school that wanted him. Not saying that we are Shaka's "Washington", but I think it is certainly premature to rule this out.

Why would Wellman's ego be challenged by hiring Shaka? He is not a difficult guy from all I've ever heard. I think the bigger issue is the money. My guess is $2.5M for 6 years will be required to get either Shaka or Marshall.

for starters it would give you credibility. otherwise everybody is going to assume you are full of it.

which you probably are

Not really searching for any credibility from you or anyone on here. Just passing along what I heard. Likely neither one of us is going to be in a situation to come back to this thread and say told you so. Just passing along that it will likely be more to do with wake than shaka if his name is dismissed early.

Not really searching for any credibility from you or anyone on here. Just passing along what I heard. Likely neither one of us is going to be in a situation to come back to this thread and say told you so. Just passing along that it will likely be more to do with wake than shaka if his name is dismissed early.

So basically, here is some completely useless information that nobody could ever confirm. Cool, great thread

For all that everyone on this site knows, a deal may have already be in the making per Premier Wellman. Problem, No one knows who it may be...Just hope it ain't Bz!

So basically, here is some completely useless information that nobody could ever confirm. Cool, great thread

con·firm
verb: confirm; 3rd person present: confirms; past tense: confirmed; past participle: confirmed; gerund or present participle: confirming 1. establish the truth or correctness of (something previously believed, suspected, or feared to be the case).
"I am able to confirm BBD is being a dick"

Cool, so this guy wasn't saying that the information couldn't be confirmed. Great point you fucking weirdo.

Heard today from someone close to Shaka that Wake is something he would entertain. Said he likes Wake, wants to coach in the ACC and Wellman would have to figure out how to make it work. :eek:

If Shaka would truly entertain a Wake offer (which I doubt), he would work through his agent or some other 3rd party with a direct line to Wellman, not by posting it on an internet message board.

My sources tell me Calipari is ready to bolt to a small, private ACC school, but he's worried about his name ending in a vowel.

Wake is going to cash in on the new ACC television deal. We can pay him. Can anyone on this board tell me why Shaka would not take the call from Wellman and give an offer serious consideration? Shaka is not John Wooden. He's not Rick Pitino. He's not Howland. He has a final four under his belt which makes him attractive to Wake Forest. He could rebuild Wake, make a pile of money, make his bones against the best coaches in the country and write his ticket. He'd be crazy not to consider it.

I thought you had stated in earlier threads that Shaka wouldn't be interested because Wellman seriously considered replacing Bz two years ago. Has your opinion changed?

Here's the post you're referencing.

It does nothing but reaffirm what I've said in this thread.

I think Wake would appeal to Shaka more than UCLA for a couple reasons. Despite UCLA's tradition advantage, Wake offers more familiarity in terms of recruiting the Southeast/mid-Atlantic. As a few already said, the size and academic focus of Wake might also be a positive for Shaka. However, and this is purely speculation, I think Shaka is waiting for the UNC job to become available.

I think Wake would appeal to Shaka more than UCLA for a couple reasons. Despite UCLA's tradition advantage, Wake offers more familiarity in terms of recruiting the Southeast/mid-Atlantic. As a few already said, the size and academic focus of Wake might also be a positive for Shaka. However, and this is purely speculation, I think Shaka is waiting for the UNC job to become available.

You realize your penultimate and last sentences are completely at odds, right?

Plus it is far from a guarantee that UNC would offer him the job.

Back