• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

According to my buddy it would take 2.5 to get him. That seems doable.

BARGAIN.
We just cut a career sub-500 football coach making a bit less than that and signed his replacement for much less.
Someone explain to me why this isn't doable.

Today Shaka became the winningest coach in VCU history. 137 wins in 5 years. Took Sonny Smith 9 seasons to reach 136.

BARGAIN.
We just cut a career sub-500 football coach making a bit less than that and signed his replacement for much less.
Someone explain to me why this isn't doable.

2.5 million for Shaka and a faculty position for Maya.

And if the AD gets $10 million for Clawson, what do you think happens if the marquee athletic program makes an even more resounding hire? More than enough to help offset Shaka's salary.

Last edited:
According to my buddy it would take 2.5 to get him. That seems doable.

Pay Shaka or Marshall and assistants what we were paying Grobe + Lobo.

Pay Clawson what we're paying [Redacted] + assistants.

Pay football assistants what we were paying Grobe's staff minus Lobo.

I don't have exact numbers but based on what has been rumored that seems doable.

If we don't have the money to pay the top two available coaches what we paid Grobe, heads need to roll.

I think there are logical reasons why Wake would be a good fit for Shaka.

- As opposed to Marshal he's not just looking to get paid. Sure he's not coming for free but that does not appear to be his #1 criteria.
- History with small schools and academics
- Wake has a strong hoops history, some ACCT championships, NCAAT, #1 rankings, 1 and 2 seeds in the NCAAT etc
- The expectations at Wake are not over the top, like UCLA, UNC, NC State etc. Play on Sunday of the ACCT once in a while, NCAAT 3 of 4 years, get to a final 4 and you can write your own ticket
- Currently have on of the best all time centers in the NBA and one of the best PG's, how much more do you need for recruiting
- You don't have to ever worry about hunting for big games, you get dook, UNC and now 'cuse and 'ville to prove yourself.

There are lots of reasons he won't come, but at the same time I think a reasonable case for Wake being a good place for Shaka can be made as well, beyond just because we want him.

Semi-related, but the local CBS affiliate in Richmond is bumping the ACC title game (featuring "The University") to a random auxiliary channel in order to show Shaka and the A-10 game.

I always LOL when folks say a coach is unapproachable - IMO every coach is approachable, it's the nature of the profession. Sure there are coaches you could back up the Brinks truck and wouldn't move due to tenure/age/whatever but the fact of the matter is I expect a Shaka or Marshall to entertain any offer from anyone - heck Marshall implied enough in his Wake comments. RW will contact Shaka and he will absolutely listen - whether he takes is a combo of family and money where usually the latter can trump the former - in this vein adopt Ph last post and land someone good. No guarantees to the future but at least invigorate the base.

- As opposed to Marshal he's not just looking to get paid. Sure he's not coming for free but that does not appear to be his #1 criteria.
- Wake has a strong hoops history, some ACCT championships, NCAAT, #1 rankings, 1 and 2 seeds in the NCAAT etc
- The expectations at Wake are not over the top, like UCLA, UNC, NC State etc. Play on Sunday of the ACCT once in a while, NCAAT 3 of 4 years, get to a final 4 and you can write your own ticket
- Currently have on of the best all time centers in the NBA and one of the best PG's, how much more do you need for recruiting
- You don't have to ever worry about hunting for big games, you get dook, UNC and now 'cuse and 'ville to prove yourself.

There are lots of reasons he won't come, but at the same time I think a reasonable case for Wake being a good place for Shaka can be made as well, beyond just because we want him.

POWER FORWARD

Add to that, Pitino, Roy, Relationships and Boeheim are about to retire. You hit the ground running, and a couple of big boys stub their toes on their inhouse hires, and Wake could be the new Dick. UNC is the only 1 of those 4 likely to go outside family with their hire.

I don't get why some of y'all are trashing the OP when a couple of others have heard the same thing. But I guess the elephant in the livingroom is his Premiership is reportedly not shelling out $2.5+mil for a coach, so however possible it might be to get Shaka, it ain't happening. Ron Wellman is LOWF.

nobody has "heard" anything. it's bullshit.

that being said i would love to eat crow if shaka ends up here. more than willing to be mocked for being wrong.

nobody has "heard" anything. it's bullshit.

that being said i would love to eat crow if shaka ends up here. more than willing to be mocked for being wrong.

What's the point of even asking "from who" though? We're on an anonymous message board, if someone did hear something no one wants to post on the internet "his brother in law, Frank"

That's why you take 60 post posters with a grain of salt but don't be obnoxious in case they actually are decent lurkers. Its rare you'll have someone build up a 25,000 post history and then turn out to use that posting capital for the first time trolling the scout board that Travis was transferring.

whatever dude. you know as much as i do. nothing.

Back