• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

Please make it stop. Shaka isn't going anywhere. And W-S and Richmond are about as alike as W-S and Raleigh. Wellman is certainly smart enough to hire Shaka if he were available, which he isn't. Give it up. Everyone else has. It isn't Ronnie's fault. I've been saying for 4 years he loves it here in Richmond and has built VCU into a perennial power that keeps improving. And the A-10 will likely get the same number of bids this year. It is more likely that VCU will join the ACC as the 2nd non-football school with Notre Dame. I give that a .002% chance of happening, and Shaka coming here a .001% chance of happening. Marshall ain't leaving his deal at Wichita either. There is really no one I am excited about at all. White, maybe. But we better fire Buzz tonight and offer White Monday because he is likely to have other offers.

lol @ perennial power. He's hit his ceiling at VCU. If he doesn't want to leave for Wake, or hell anywhere else for that matter, it's certainly his prerogative but let's not act like VCU is now some basketball powerhouse to be feared.

This is a pretty silly post. Georgia state has a student Body of around 20,000 and is located in Atlanta, but I dont see them outbidding any coaches? Why because they at in a crap conference and have negligible basketball tradition. VCU does not play in a premier conference, does not get the same exposure (outside of when Shaka takes them to the dance), does not have a great basket tradition, and there is no way they can outbid Wake if we want to pay.

If Shaka wants to stay in Richmond and play it safe that is a legit reason but the idea that wake isn't a very appealing position is dumb; and the idea that we cannot compete in the salary game is even dumber. We are a great historical program participating in the heart of the greatest basketball conference ever assembled. We have more money flowing through out athletic program than ever before due to our new tv contracts. With a great basketball hire donations would take a huge leap forward. There is a lot to be desired. Man I hate LOWF.

Apparently so, and I do too. Our mutual hate of LOWF may have caused you to miss my point.

My point was that Shaka's supposed dislike of the "big" schools didn't seem quite right, given the huge size of VCU, and was recognizing that VCU can generate some serious bucks. We won't get Shaka away from VCU just for the money, because VCU can easily match any money we offer.

Folk's speculation here that he might be open to considering Wake Forest because it is a small private school and because it is in the ACC, with the challenge of taking on other top coaches every week, might be a reason he would consider Wake.

The only way VCU could "match" an offer by Wake would be for wealthy alumni to donate/pay for it out of pocket.

VCU doesn't come close to the annual conference revenue, income from home games/ticket sales, or have a football program to contribute. It's super risky for an AD to give a huge contract based primarily on donations, because if the team starts to suck the donations may not be there which would cause a huge problem.

Apparently so, and I do too. Our mutual hate of LOWF may have caused you to miss my point.

My point was that Shaka's supposed dislike of the "big" schools didn't seem quite right, given the huge size of VCU, and was recognizing that VCU can generate some serious bucks. We won't get Shaka away from VCU just for the money, because VCU can easily match any money we offer.

Folk's speculation here that he might be open to considering Wake Forest because it is a small private school and because it is in the ACC, with the challenge of taking on other top coaches every week, might be a reason he would consider Wake.

You are crazy if you think VCU could match Wake in a bidding war. Not saying that will happen but it is like comparing Bill Gates to a local 7-11 owner.

Unless he does another miracle FF run this year, there is no reason why it should've climbed half a mil in one year because his team is in the top 25

It's more about the state of our program and the inflation of the market.

76, when you are a 33 yo assistant coach and get offered a mid-major D1 coach, you take it knowing it may not happen again or could be years before it happens again. It doesn't have to be the exact school or the type of school you want.

There are thousands of people who want those precious few jobs. You take it. Then you succeed and get to dictate where you go next. The more you succeed the power you have.

This is why Shaka is at VCU for the time being.

I agree, but it isn't the money with Shaka. I just think he is in the mold of Mark Few and wants to be the guy that built it and stay for 30 years. And he's getting paid well and recruiting just fine. Better than most ACC schools not in the triangle.

Keep drinking that kool aid

You are crazy if you think VCU could match Wake in a bidding war. Not saying that will happen but it is like comparing Bill Gates to a local 7-11 owner.

VCU is the largest university in the State of Virginia. It has 24,000 undergrads and over 31,000 total students. It's endowment is about about 35% larger than Wake's ($1.06B v. $1.4B). Wake has more conference money coming in to be sure, but when compared against the much larger donor base and larger endowment of VCU, Wake probably doesn't want to get into a bidding war with VCU. It's not like we're Texa$.

VCU is currently a 6 seed. They were a 5 last year and a 12 in 2012. Perennial power vcu is not.

VCU is the largest university in the State of Virginia. It has 24,000 undergrads and over 31,000 total students. It's endowment is about about 35% larger than Wake's ($1.06B v. $1.4B). Wake has more conference money coming in to be sure, but when compared against the much larger donor base and larger endowment of VCU, Wake probably doesn't want to get into a bidding war with VCU. It's not like we're Texa$.

All true but when comparing AD budgets and what a school can (maybe not willing) to spend on a basketball coach Wake is head and shoulders above VCU.

The A-10 used to be a really good conference. It's definitely weaker than it was three years and even than last year and will continue to fall. This also has impact.

Been drinking it for 4 years and been right the whole time. We go through this every year, and Shaka now has another strong year, a top 10 recruiting class, and a $25M bball practice facility coming. And been flamed for saying Shaka ain't leaving every year, only to be right each time. And for every school where their pursuit of Shaka was public, there are likely 4x that which never reached the public stage. Hi is NOT leaving VCU for the foreseeable future.

Been drinking it for 4 years and been right the whole time. We go through this every year, and Shaka now has another strong year, a top 10 recruiting class, and a $25M bball practice facility coming. And been flamed for saying Shaka ain't leaving every year, only to be right each time. And for every school where their pursuit of Shaka was public, there are likely 4x that which never reached the public stage. Hi is NOT leaving VCU for the foreseeable future.

No, you haven't

There will be huge outrage if they offer him $3M/year. Because they are part of the state university system, there will be a push to have to pay Bennett similarly. The price of the next coach VT will also feel such an offer to Shaka.

Wake operates completely in a vacuum. VCU doesn't.

VCU is currently a 6 seed. They were a 5 last year and a 12 in 2012. Perennial power vcu is not.

Agreed, perennial power is a bit strong, but only compared to Duke, Kansas, UNC, Syracuse, and a handful of others. And look at their tournament records since Shaka took over. It is silly. Beat Duke. Beat Kansas. I don't think they have fallen short of the conference finals ever, and won all but 1 or 2 of those. Been to a FF. Been to the NCAA's every year, and I don't recall them ever losing in the first round. THAT is pretty f'ing good. And it is only likely to improve. Their only weakness this year was at PG at the start of the year, which hurt them badly, but that has certainly come around. If they beat St. Joe's today, they are probably a 4 or 5 seed being ranked 23rd last week and will move up. And they are peaking in February and March. Again. That is not shabby.

I don't think anyone expects Shaka to come to Wake, not for the reasons 88 states, but because our AD isn't forward-thinking enough. It isn't because we can't afford him or because he wouldn't be interested.
So just because Shaka wont be coaching here in 14-15 won't mean 88 is right.
Also , Shaka didn't coach the VCU team that best Duke. That was three seasons before Shaka got there.

Last edited:
The A-10 used to be a really good conference. It's definitely weaker than it was three years and even than last year and will continue to fall. This also has impact.

Why will it continue to fall? They add Davidson next year, which should improve the conference, but they could also lose some coaches along the way (Archie, Lonergan, etc), which would hurt. Is this what you're referring to?

They are peaking again in February and March? I mean that may be true (I don't know their W/L record the past few years in Feb/March), but they've won one NCAA game each of the past two years since the Final Four run. If they win 0 or 1 game again this year, I imagine Shaka gets frustrated.

Back