• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

22Deac

Reaction score
Heard today from someone close to Shaka that Wake is something he would entertain. Said he likes Wake, wants to coach in the ACC and Wellman would have to figure out how to make it work. :eek:

Biggest fish, biggest long shot. I do think it's something he'd listen to and ultimately turn into another raise at VCU.

Maybe a long shot but we have to have the conversation.

35cqt7c.jpg

Guy in the yellow tie.

lol

i was more wondering who the mysterious "someone close to" is

$25 million is pretty small time for the biggest fundraising project in school history.

I still don't see Shaka at VCU for the long haul. Maybe not Wake, but he will make a move at some point.

Biggest fundraiser in "athletics" history. I think the STU cost 30 million to build...that story is unfocused. I will yell at the writer of it.

Point being...Shaka gets what he wants at VCU. Of course they don't play in the ACC or Big 10, but no one really knows if those are goals of his.

The thing that gives me hope for Shaka (of course, I am just rationalizing) is that the schools he has turned down all have something in common: they are big, public universities. Shaka is a Kenyon College alum (academically rigorous, small, and a liberal arts college), so maybe he is looking for something different than UCLA, Illinois etc.

He is also a competitive guy and I would hope that the opportunity to compete with UNC and Duke would be enticing. Of course, this is just me being hopefully optimistic.

Would love to know who said this. Face facts; as awesome as it would be Shaka is not coming to coach at Wake. Nada, not going to happen.

Sadly, I see no way this happens. Being a Wake alum and fan, I often think that it must be attractive to a coach to be able to come to Wake and have a shot at being a legend, competing against UNC and Duke and kicking their ass, etc. But, I think I (we) look at this through Black and Gold colored glasses. It seems attractive to us because we have an attachment to Wake and place a lot more importance to being a legend at Wake, thus thinking that the competitive fire of a coach will bring him here. Coaches who have no attachment to the school can do the same thing at any number of colleges that they could do at Wake. They really give as much of a crap about Wake as we do schools like Rice or Baylor. Just saying that our attachment to the school and the program makes us think that the position is more desirable than it really is. For a big name coach to come to Wake, it is all about the dollars, period, and we just don't have the jack to toss around to bring in coaches like that given the other options. Not to say we can't bring in a good coach, but it isn't going to be Shaka IMO.

Not sure what a name or relationship is going to do for you. Just telling you what I heard from someone who would know. Shaka likely will not come to Wake because he either cost too much or Wellmans ego won't allow it.

Sadly, I see no way this happens. Being a Wake alum and fan, I often think that it must be attractive to a coach to be able to come to Wake and have a shot at being a legend, competing against UNC and Duke and kicking their ass, etc. But, I think I (we) look at this through Black and Gold colored glasses. It seems attractive to us because we have an attachment to Wake and place a lot more importance to being a legend at Wake, thus thinking that the competitive fire of a coach will bring him here. Coaches who have no attachment to the school can do the same thing at any number of colleges that they could do at Wake. They really give as much of a crap about Wake as we do schools like Rice or Baylor. Just saying that our attachment to the school and the program makes us think that the position is more desirable than it really is. For a big name coach to come to Wake, it is all about the dollars, period, and we just don't have the jack to toss around to bring in coaches like that given the other options. Not to say we can't bring in a good coach, but it isn't going to be Shaka IMO.

Agree with most of this. I still think playing in a conference with UNC, Duke, Syracuse, etc. makes Wake more attractive than Baylor or Rice.

Not sure what a name or relationship is going to do for you. Just telling you what I heard from someone who would know. Shaka likely will not come to Wake because he either cost too much or Wellmans ego won't allow it.

for starters it would give you credibility. otherwise everybody is going to assume you are full of it.

which you probably are

Back