• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 3 Choices

My top 3

1. Smart
1. Marshall
3. Wright
3. Howland

Not really confident we'll get any of them, but there it is.

Also, where did Wright come into the conversation? I read the name on other threads, but is there actually anything concrete about him or is it just speculation because of Buzz Williams?

My top 3

1. Smart
1. Marshall
3. Wright
3. Howland

Also, where did Wright come into the conversation? I read the name on other threads, but is there actually anything concrete about him or is it just speculation because of Buzz Williams?

The idea that people put Ben "dumpster fire" Howland on par with Jay f'ing Wright is absolutely mindblowing to me.

The idea that people put Ben "dumpster fire" Howland on par with Jay f'ing Wright is absolutely mindblowing to me.

I think you are harsh with your assessment of Howland, but if we could land Jay Wright, that would be a bigger coup than arguably Smart or Marshall.

A lot of it is not really believing that Wright is a candidate. Really came out of nowhere, so I threw Howland in.

What people are also ignoring is that coaches are aware of the structural pressures in their salaries at certain schools. It takes a lot for Harvard to pay 700k to amaker. It's v hard to sustain that in a lean year. Same with shaka at VCU. We aren't texas but even we could pay Bzz more than what VCU paid shaka. Coaches get that, particularly if they are looking for a long term home

I think you are harsh with your assessment of Howland, but if we could land Jay Wright, that would be a bigger coup than arguably Smart or Marshall.

He's dug in his heels on hating Howland. It's an irrational hatred.

A lot of it is not really believing that Wright is a candidate. Really came out of nowhere, so I threw Howland in.

I think if one looks at Howland's record it's not at all ridiculous to include him in that list. Howland would be the biggest coaching hire ever for Wake. He would be a very good get. Unfortunately it sounds like he might be headed to Marquette. If that happens, and Amaker turns us down, I think Wellman will end up considering Turner/White/Manning/Lonergan.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2012/11/26/3691908/bruin-bites-fire-ben-howland-and-chianti-dan-edition

"Bruins Nation takes a long look at the toxic feeling surrounding Ben Howland's dumpster fire basketball program"

Inexcusable. Not just the loss, but the fact that Chianti Dan has allowed Ben Howland to remain in his job prior to this season, despite the fact that Howland is the only UCLA coach to preside over three consecutive double-digit losing seasons since Wilbur Johns in the 1940s. Oh, and don't forget that he's missed the tournament more often than Steve Lavin did. Yes, that's right: Howland's track record is pathetically on par with frauds like Steve Lavin. Bear in mind that it was only last season that Howland's pathetic dumpster fire trainwreck program was snubbed by the NIT. Yes, Coach's program, the once-proud definition of success in college basketball was snubbed by a second-tier loser's tournament.

I think if one looks at Howland's record it's not at all ridiculous to include him in that list...

I agree, which is why some of it is that I think he's a good coach. However, another issue is whether his past fits with the current "culture" of the program. If he goes to Marquette, my guess would be that the answer to that issue is "no." In the alternative, if he goes to Marquette, it may be because we are going to land Smart or Marshall. If we go to the long list to get a coach, the answer to the "culture" issue is definitely "no."

I'm honestly shocked by the general buzz for Howland this off season. Not here specifically or anything, but on twitter you have Marquette fans begging for Howland, saying he will be an "upgrade" over Buzz.

I really thought most college basketball fans just viewed Howland as a curmudgeon who lost a lot of mph off the fastball. But I'm definitely in the minority in not rating him.

I'm honestly shocked by the general buzz for Howland this off season. Not here specifically or anything, but on twitter you have Marquette fans begging for Howland, saying he will be an "upgrade" over Buzz.

I really thought most college basketball fans just viewed Howland as a curmudgeon who lost a lot of mph off the fastball. But I'm definitely in the minority in not rating him.

Seriously. I can respect the opinion that Howland could come in and bring a program back to respectability, although I personally think he's toast. But the idea that he's still an elite or even great coach moving forward makes no sense in light of his recent failures and dismissal.

Don't believe the Jay Wright talk, but he fits the profile (academically oriented private school, etc...) and the big donors (and their wives) would live him.

If Wright were actually in play, I'd easily put him as second on my list behind Shaka. Probably ahead of Marshall even.

My top 3

1. Smart
1. Marshall
3. Wright
3. Howland

Have heard it's more than just speculation from sources I trust but really isn't it all speculation at this point?

Back